Calling all 4 bangers! This is THE BEST performance mod I've done!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Calling all 4 bangers! This is THE BEST performance mod I've done!!!

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #1
OneCleanYj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Calling all 4 bangers! This is THE BEST performance mod I've done!!!

If you haven't already done this, run out and buy yourself a 4.0 throttle body

I got mine and Pick N Pull for like 39 bucks and it's hands down the best freakin' performance mod I've done to this little motor. I've done a bit of porting to my intake manifold as well, but the TB made a significant difference. When I floor it in 3rd it pulls very smooth all the way up to 70, before it would sorta level off power-wise around 50-55. I can break my 33's loose every time I take off if I want to, and I'm averaging 20+ MPG, even with the top off. Unless I flat out drive the piss out of it the mileage stays about the same both city and highway. At 70 on ther highway my foot is barely into the pedal, and I'm still right around 20MPG
It's been on for about 3-4 weeks now FWIW.

I found mine off a 96 or 97 Cherokee, the only difference is a plug on the driver side of the TB, some sort of vacuum deal, that I assume might be for cruise control? I left this untouched and haven't had any issues.
I don't have pictures, but the TB's themselves are almost 100% alike, except the 4 cyl one really tapers down inside, I'd say the 4.0 unit increases the size by at least 10% or more.

It's really easy for ANYONE to install, just have a new gasket and/or RTV (sp) ready and it's a matter of four screws and two plugs. Gop out to P&P this weekend if there's one around you. They're having their 1/2 off deal this weekend up here, so go snag one for $20!

Any questions/comments welcome...
Dolan

Edit: It needs to be off a newer Cherokee like I found or at least a 91+ 4.0 from a Wrangler (I assume they have this TB on the 91's?). I spotted some older Cherokee's with a different TB, not sure on the year break for the different fuel injection set-up, but newer is what you want!

Unread 08-29-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

i did it on mine when it was a 4 banger, didnt make any more noticable power to me.
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #3
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm bummed-I thought it was gonna be an engine swap thread based on the title...
mgramann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
Mazookie
2003 WJ 

Yea I though so to mgramann. Best 4Banger mod, I though for sure you were going to say drop it and put in a V8 lol. That sounds like a good idea for everybody out there with a 4banger because a lot of people have been asking about power mods for theres. Sounds cool OneCleanYJ.
~Mazooks~
Mazookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #5
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazookie View Post
Yea I though so to mgramann. Best 4Banger mod, I though for sure you were going to say drop it and put in a V8 lol. That sounds like a good idea for everybody out there with a 4banger because a lot of people have been asking about power mods for theres. Sounds cool OneCleanYJ.
~Mazooks~
I really shouldn't talk too much, my yj is 4 banger too. Got the diesel in the backyard though thats dying to power a yj. VW 2.4L turbo diesel inline 6 out of a volvo. Definitely not a power house-but its a small upgrade, and a DIESEL!
mgramann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
OneCleanYj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
i did it on mine when it was a 4 banger, didnt make any more noticable power to me.
Was your engine a high mileage motor? I recently dropped in another 2.5 with about 40K on it, I imagine the difference wouldn't have been as much n my old 197,000 mile motor. But you shouldn't complain now, since you've got a 4.3
Unread 08-29-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
ferny1usmc

lookk slike I might have to invest those few bucks on this mod
ferny1usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCleanYj View Post
Was your engine a high mileage motor? I recently dropped in another 2.5 with about 40K on it, I imagine the difference wouldn't have been as much n my old 197,000 mile motor. But you shouldn't complain now, since you've got a 4.3
the old 4 banger was a mid mileage motor (@70k). as i said, didnt make a difference to me. but then again,a 4 banger is a 4 banger......

martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 01:41 PM   #9
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post

I can't say I noticed a big difference either. I have often thought of putting the old one back and and seeing if I felt it.

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #10
gary92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It could be because of another bottleneck. You have to open up the entire intake/exhaust track to fully benefit. OneCleanYj may have a hi-flo muffler or cat that you don't. If the engine cant pump the exhaust out then it will have trouble sucking air in and a bigger tb wont help much.
gary92yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2008, 11:37 AM   #11
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

mine has an exhaust system installed (not sure what, as it was installed by the previous owner), I did this mod about 2 weeks ago, very noticeable difference for me.

if this helps any.

I should add that for two weeks I had the air aide spacer installed (noticed no difference, and it was a gift), the 4.0 throttle body had a larger opening than the spacer so i removed it and added the 4.0 throttle body.

BackRoadJPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2008, 11:54 AM   #12
turtlerace
Best taken in small doses

1979 J-Series Truck 

I did it last year and it made a big difference in mid range power and allowed me to use 5th gear again.
Unread 09-01-2008, 06:46 AM   #13
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The mod works, some may have to port the intake manny to the same size as the tb, others won't as for some reason, some intakes are allready bigger than the 2.5 tb. We've noticed this when screwing around with this mod, that some 2.5 intake openings are bigger than others. It's like some come with a 4.0 tb in mind for whatever reason. Anyhow, if your opening is allready the same size as the 4.0 tb, it's just a matter of bolting it on. We like using a tb spacer with this mod as well, the 4.0 spacer of course. I know alot of you are down of tb spacers, but they are good for about 2-3 hp and seem to boost lowend a bit with the 4.0 tb. Also yet me say that tb spacers do work in a lot of applications for a couple of hp, you won't feel 2-3 hp by the seat of your pants, however, it's 2-3 more hp than you had. Combined with the 4.0 tb, it gives you a decent bump in throttle response. If your intake opening isn't as big as the 4.0 tb you will gain nothing, so if it's not, take the dremal tool to it for the best result. A couple of the guy's have gone so far as to mill the head, plus P&P. With a compresion bump and the mopar cam these little 2.5's will turn on pretty good. There getting around 160-170 hp out of them and by bumping the compresion it helps on the lowend where you need it. With 4:56 gears and 31" tires, these 4 cylinder jeeps will climb a tree. Of course with that kind of engine work you could run larger tires, but with 31's and gears these 2.5's can be quite explosive and even fun to drive and still good on gas.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #14
OneCleanYj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I in fact have a free-flowing exhaust, Magnaflow to be exact
high-flow cat installed (FWIW not much of a difference, but all new ones are hi-flow anyhow), my next move will be a TB spacer to help the low-end just a bit.
I'm going to pull off my old intake/exhaust manifolds from my old motor and port the hell out of them, I picked up a few new tools to try and plan on giving it a shot. Eventually I'll take my old head and see what I can do with it, have the valves redone and swap it all on. My goal is to try and have a peppy, N/A 4 banger that pushes 35's just fine with my current 4:88 gearing. I can go like a bat out of hell with 33's now so hopefully the 35's won't effect it much.
I'm not an engine guy but come from a racing family, and I like to tinker with my engine. So tinker is what I do

Also I'm trying to look EVERYWHERE to figure out the output of the stock injectors and haven't found anything yet. As soon as I do I'll upgrade to a slightly larger injector and add a hotter coil, possibly a new MSD box as well. From what I've read about the 2.5's air/fuel management it should adapt to those small changes fairly easy
Unread 09-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #15
fyrdriver
1992 YJ Wrangler 

According to this post on 4banger Jeeps site:
91-95 2.5 53007232 17.4 psi/hr
Replaceable with Ford DB5 yellow tops 19 psi/hr

Heres the link dont know if it will work?????
http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=3479.0
fyrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.