Call Me Crazy, ROAD TRIP!!! - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Call Me Crazy, ROAD TRIP!!!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #76
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Prolly too late to post... but I'm not sure I'd make that long of a trip without doors of somekind? But I guess that's just me. The tires will be noisy, so ya may want to add a little air to help smooth them out.

Good luck!

If you check in on the thread while on the road, and if you have the time in your schedule, IMHO, the north rim of the GC is much better. (if it's open) Of course, it takes a whole different route to get there. But if you do go that way, then you are well within travel distance of Bryce Canyon in Utah. VERY cool to see!!!

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #77
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hey its the wife here and am passing on a message for assistance. They made it to Tucumcari, NM, stopped for gas and now the jeep won't start. Turned over once but then died again. Any ideas? What are the symptoms of vapor lock and how to fix it? Pressed for time here so if anyone can help please do! If you are close to this location and can offer on site assistance and don't mind PM'ing your phone number, we would appreciate the help! Thanks a bunch!
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #78
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide View Post
Hey its the wife here and am passing on a message for assistance. They made it to Tucumcari, NM, stopped for gas and now the jeep won't start. Turned over once but then died again. Any ideas? What are the symptoms of vapor lock and how to fix it? Pressed for time here so if anyone can help please do! If you are close to this location and can offer on site assistance and don't mind PM'ing your phone number, we would appreciate the help! Thanks a bunch!
If its vapor lock, let it sit and cool down, then it will run like a champ until it gets hot again. If engine isn't turning over (cranking), the vapor lock isn't the issue. Did engin over heat before they stopped for gas?
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #79
94Moby
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Is your husband sure it's vapor lock? Used to have the issue on my old carb TR6, but don't hear about it much on fuel injected systems. Maybe I'm wrong. I would have to put a bag of frozen peas on my fuel pump, but I don't think he'll have that option. Guys: Is there any way of relieving the pressure on a 4.0 I6? Is there the same valve on the manifold that is on the 4 banger?
94Moby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #80
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok guys, Hank here from my blackberry. Jeep has been towed with symptoms of fuel pump failure. The place that towed it normally works on diesels only but the boss is a jeep nut himself and works on them on the site. Fortunately for us they are open tomorrow and they feel certain they can have me up and running. It would start and run for about 3 secnds then die and it would not start again until we waited approx 15 min then it would do it again. I ruled out vapor lock after it cooled down and still nothing. It never over heated with me but it had to work its butt off in hot temps to stay up to speed. At times I was down to 54 mph flat on the floor in 4th gear. Of course with my gears I never use 5th anyway. It ran great and never hesitate. I killed it filled the tank, went in the store for 5 min and then it would not start and run. Hope its fuel filter but they are going to pressure test to see tomorrow morning. They gave us a lift to hotel and we are good to go for now.
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 06-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #81
littleredjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I hope the best for you and dont let this stop a wonderful trip. Like stated above you are building some stories and great memories. Many of us wish we can do something close to this with our kids when they get older, including myself. Keep us posted and have careful.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/littleredjeep-build-669382/

_____
/| ,[___],
|--L --[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
littleredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 07:56 AM   #82
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

We did take soft doors and we were half we did. Until it gets hot they are actually a nice wind block for a break from it. Waiting until the garage opens to find out status of jeep. Gave us a little time to plan our trip better. On to Hoover dam, south rim, skywalk, vegas, through Utah to Mob, (no rock crawling) then onto Colorado on hwy 50 to Royal Gorge, then to Wichita KS and back home from there. Should be plenty to see through all of that. I would like to say thanks to all that have offered assistance and advice. Hard to post from BB so I will post more later. Thanks.
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 06-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #83
1992 renagade
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hope its only a minor problem thats fixed fast for you. Good luck on the rest of the trip.

1992 black Renegade
4.0L 5spd. 4:10 gears 33x12.50 BFG KM 2's A to Z fabrication front and rear bumpers and cage
1994 YJ Sahara Project Bean
2000 Jeep Cherokee Stock
AtoZ Fabrications www.atozfabrication.com
Blue Mountain Jeep Alliance www.bmja.org
Delaware jeep Association www.delawareja.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Screw the HOA. More guys just need to start doing man things in the garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Jeeps are like mistresses, they take all your money, but boy what a ride!
1992 renagade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 08:25 AM   #84
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When you get to CO hit me up. My wife and I would like to meet you for dinner. Or forbidding and issues you can call us for those too. Hope you get rolling soon.
Unread 06-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #85
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
We did take soft doors and we were half we did. Until it gets hot they are actually a nice wind block for a break from it. Waiting until the garage opens to find out status of jeep. Gave us a little time to plan our trip better. On to Hoover dam, south rim, skywalk, vegas, through Utah to Mob, (no rock crawling) then onto Colorado on hwy 50 to Royal Gorge, then to Wichita KS and back home from there. Should be plenty to see through all of that. I would like to say thanks to all that have offered assistance and advice. Hard to post from BB so I will post more later. Thanks.
If you make it to Moab, there are plenty of easy trails that require no hard core rock crawling, but are awesome to see. Check out fins and things. Very cool!

here's a shot of Bryce canyon if you go up SR 89 in Utah.

and this is a view from the north rim.

good luck on the fuel problem... hope they do not have to pull the tank.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #86
mudonthetires43
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i hope everything gets taken care of. now i'm wanting to do this. do you ever make it to the superlift park in hot springs?
mudonthetires43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #87
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hank's wife here. Turned out to be the coil. Got it replaced and they got back on the road around 1030 NM time. Wanted to let y'all know they have arrived in Albuquerque and all is well. Thanks for everything and will continue to keep you posted.
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 06-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #88
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hank's wife here. Turned out to be the coil. Got it replaced and they got back on the road around 1030 NM time. Wanted to let y'all know they have arrived in Albuquerque and all is well. Thanks for everything and will continue to keep you posted.
Nice, quick, cheap fix....... on with the journey!!
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #89
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok guys, Hank here from my blackberry. Jeep has been towed with symptoms of fuel pump failure. ....
ah yes. I once replaced a fuel pump on my Chevy camper in the parking lot of a quick mart. Had to take a cab to the auto parts store (the cab ride was as much as the $15 fuel pump). Fortunately the young couple who owned the store were quite sympathetic, we met their kids, had a nice visit.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #90
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

BTW Kaibab National Forest (at the North Rim) has a huge network of dirt roads. They are basically fire access roads so they are not difficult, but there is lots to see (as the ranger put it: if it's got a number, it's a road)

jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.