Call Me Crazy, ROAD TRIP!!! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Call Me Crazy, ROAD TRIP!!!

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-09-2011, 06:15 AM   #31
ptwhaler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

This has to be one of the best ideas for a road trip I have seen in a long time. So very jealous. Years ago, a couple of my friends took a road trip on their Harleys from SC to CA and back. Long trip with a few problems of course but one they still talk about 20 years later.

ptwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2011, 06:34 AM   #32
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yes JF is on FB
Belt is awesome idea.

Conceal the gun unless your pulled over then take it out before he gets to the jeep and lay it where he can see it. Let him/her know its there. Most cops wont give you any problems. If your jeep will go faster than highway speeds its better than most. lol

Have a blast. And if you need anything, post it up and one of us will help out im sure.
Unread 06-09-2011, 06:43 AM   #33
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynmaker View Post
Yes JF is on FB
Belt is awesome idea.

Conceal the gun unless your pulled over then take it out before he gets to the jeep and lay it where he can see it. Let him/her know its there. Most cops wont give you any problems. If your jeep will go faster than highway speeds its better than most. lol

Have a blast. And if you need anything, post it up and one of us will help out im sure.
Some States have very strict requirements for transporting a weapon in a vehilce.. OP, do a little research before your trip so you KNOW the law, not just guessing about what the law of the land is.

Here is a site, there are others.... check them out.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2011, 06:50 AM   #34
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What an AWESOME trip! You guys will have such a blast!

I always have this packed in the tool box...
tire-repair-kit.jpg

along with one of these...
12v-air-compressor.jpg

It has saved me on two occasions! The nice thing is you can do the repair without taking the tire off!

Be SAFE and ENJOY the trip!!!
Unread 06-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #35
ExNeph
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Took a road trip in the YJ maybe a year ago. The trip itself was the best. Driving down highways and interstates, following big rigs (uphill speed limit on I-80 was 55 for big rigs. Guess who could only do MAYBE 56.), and listening in on CB chatter. Certainly is an awesome experience.

Best way to plan for any road trip in a lifted Jeep, though, is through the Oregon Trail. Haha. Just like GTA taught me how to drive, The Oregon Trail taught me what to pack. Spare tire, farm jack, tie-straps, food, etc..

One thing I did learn was pack oil. Apparently after the trip, mine was running horribly. Ran it out of oil. Just pack a couple quarts here or there, easy to hide out of the way.

And remember: You can strap a lot of things to the roll bar. Helps to keep some things out of the way.

Parts broken/blown up: Engine, clutch, transmission synchros, wheel joint, wheel bearing, front driveshaft u-joints, front shaft oil seal, radiator, water pump, belt, passenger door latch, cat-back exhaust system, front fender flares, front axle seal, transfer case output seal, rear driveshaft u-joints, parking brake..
ExNeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2011, 07:15 AM   #36
wellsnmj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

the biggest thing I would add to your list is a decent first aid kit you sound like you'll be driving through some sparsely populated area and it is always better to be prepared for the worst. Other then that I hope you two have a great time should be a wonderful bonding experience and make for some great memories !
My Build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/mean-jeep-build-1218336/
wellsnmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2011, 07:19 AM   #37
rcharlier
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you bring a digital camera, have a way to charge it in the car. Making stops to charge the battery at an AC outlet would be pretty inconvenient.

And, for that matter, make sure and pack a car charger for any electronics device that you plan on using heavily. Make sure your car charger works for both of your cell phones.

Some sun tan lotion/sunblock, and aloe in case you end up with a sunburn.

Looking forward to hearing about the trip when you get back. Please post a write-up on how things went, what you packed that you didn't need, what you wish you remembered to pack, and what you did pack that you used frequently.
Unread 06-09-2011, 07:45 AM   #38
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

With all that "stuff" and only your safari top, what are your plans for physical security?

Have fun!!!

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #39
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNeph View Post
Took a road trip in the YJ maybe a year ago. The trip itself was the best. Driving down highways and interstates, following big rigs (uphill speed limit on I-80 was 55 for big rigs. Guess who could only do MAYBE 56.), and listening in on CB chatter. Certainly is an awesome experience.

Best way to plan for any road trip in a lifted Jeep, though, is through the Oregon Trail. Haha. Just like GTA taught me how to drive, The Oregon Trail taught me what to pack. Spare tire, farm jack, tie-straps, food, etc..

One thing I did learn was pack oil. Apparently after the trip, mine was running horribly. Ran it out of oil. Just pack a couple quarts here or there, easy to hide out of the way.

And remember: You can strap a lot of things to the roll bar. Helps to keep some things out of the way.
You realize he is driving a Jeep. It will need gas every 200 miles. Not like he can't check oil and give Jeep a quick once over at every gas stop. If there is a problem, take care of it while he is in town.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2011, 08:19 AM   #40
SPORTSMAN4X4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like alot of fun. Might want to bring new radiator hose's just incase.
SPORTSMAN4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #41
blacksheepjp
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have a thread running(with not a lot of replies yet) titled "how far have you ventured" would love to see your post of your trips there. Great luck....
blacksheepjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #42
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheepjp View Post
I have a thread running(with not a lot of replies yet) titled "how far have you ventured" would love to see your post of your trips there. Great luck....
Can you post the link.
Unread 06-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #43
KenB
1981 CJ7 

That's not crazy - that's fantastic!
Might want to throw in a cheap plastic tarp. Sometimes rain comes in sideways. Granddaughter and I rode out a thunderstorm in one, in the Jeep, a few years back. Also makes a good ground cloth for emergency repairs, extra shade if you get stranded in the desert, etc.
Unread 06-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #44
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know if it's been posted yet but.
OK you;re a crazy road trip.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #45
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have done what you are going to do. Have a blast.

One mistake that many make is getting on the highway and going from A to B. To add allot to your trip, and I suspect that you are bringing a GPS. Look at a map to map out your trip, but use a GPS to take you through back roads the whole way. Always choose " Shorter Distance" The GPS will guide you through back roads with high speed limits. Back roads are much more enjoyable driving. Especially during the day and will only add a few hours to your driving hours.

Shorter distance equals shorter time.

Have fun on your trip.

Martin

PS: If you doubt what I am recommending. Just try it one time and you will be hooked.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.