Call Me Crazy, ROAD TRIP!!! - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Call Me Crazy, ROAD TRIP!!!

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #151
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide View Post
Next Stop - MOAB - Folks there were Jeeps everywhere here. We really wanted to do some trails and did snoop around a little but without anyone with us and being so far from home, I did not want to risk to much.

Baby Lions Back, I did not go up it, I had no idea what was on top. There was no one around if I had got into trouble. It is steeper then picture depicts.

It gets flat on top and then down the other side not quite as steep. It's not that bad.
And please don't take this the wrong way, but... I can't believe you went all that way and did'nt go up it or take the other easy trail!

Ok, now that that's out of my system, lol, if you go again, most everyone hangs out at the City Market in the early AM. You can meet and hook up with any number of fellow wheelers there, so there is no problem with being/wheeling alone. I should have mentioned that before.
Awesome trip! Glad ya got back safe and sound. Time to plan for another one!

WRM<

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #152
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
It gets flat on top and then down the other side not quite as steep. It's not that bad.
And please don't take this the wrong way, but... I can't believe you went all that way and did'nt go up it or take the other easy trail!

Ok, now that that's out of my system, lol, if you go again, most everyone hangs out at the City Market in the early AM. You can meet and hook up with any number of fellow wheelers there, so there is no problem with being/wheeling alone. I should have mentioned that before.
Awesome trip! Glad ya got back safe and sound. Time to plan for another one!

WRM<
Most certainly not taken the wrong way and I understand. I was kicking myself on the way out of town. I started telling myself I may never be out here again in this jeep so there goes a chance of a lifetime. But then I put another spin on it, now I have a reason to go back. And I will be back.. I knew the Baby lions back was not that bad and I would have no issues going up it, but I also had the what if's running through my head with my daughter there. Other part of the story is, we planned on spending another night there just for the reason of running some trails but that day we had seen MOAB and Arches Park so we decided to move on. Trails will be for when me and a bunch of friends return, hopefully next year..
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #153
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ooops I skipped a stop again that I need to interject in right here. It was Bryce Canyon.. It was probably one of the highlights of the trip. It is truly a spectacle to see. Unbelievable sandstone formations. Antelope and Mule Deer in the park along the side of the road. If you ever get here, plan on a day or two if you are into hiking. Miles of hiking trials within the formations themselves. In the pics, notice the trails and people below.

My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 06-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #154
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Right next to MOAB is Arches State Park. This place has several miles of roads and hiking trails. It is hard to believe how big some of these rocks are until you see them for yourself.

This is called Balance Point, I wonder how long this rock has been balanced up there. It is huge.

Closer Shot of the Balanced Rock

One of the large Arches.

My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 06-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #155
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

We then moved on to Canon City where we met raynmaker and his wife. They drove down from Colorado Springs to meet up with us. They took us to dinner at a nice Mexican Food place and we visited, sharing pictures of different jeep experiences. Very nice couple, we really enjoyed being able to meet someone from JF.. After seeing some of their pics of some trails in their area, I have got to get up there sometime and have them show me around a little.

My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 06-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #156
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

We stayed the night in Canon City, this was a fun experience. For some reason all of the Hotels and Motels were booked full. We must have went to 10 different ones before we found a room at a rather shady place. This was the only night I was a little concerned about the jeep and maybe even ourselves a little. I handed Sarah the room key and she unlocked the room door. We propped it open with a chair so we could carry all the stuff in from the heep. Then I shut the door and put the chain on it. By now it is about 10:00 PM and we are tired. We immediately hit the sack. I got up earlier then Sarah and after getting ready to go I told her I was going to go gas up the heep while she was getting ready. When I opened the door, I noticed the room key still hanging in the lock on the outside. Hmmmm..

After we laughed about that we moved on (back tracked just a little) and visited the Royal Gorge. This was an awesome area as well. We walked across the bridge and then drove the heep across it. This is an amazing suspension bridge. When you stop on it, you can fell it swaying. It has wooden planks across it and has to be at least a 1000 ft to the bottom of the gorge. Certainly a place to add to your list if you have not been there. We wanted to hit this site because that is the Arkansas River below. We live very near the Arkansas River and wanted to follow it along the way back home.

My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 06-20-2011, 08:37 PM   #157
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well that is about it with the pics, from the Royal Gorge it was straight home 780 miles that day. Sarah got some experience behind the wheel from eastern Colorado and through parts of Kansas. She is just learning how to drive a standard shift so I think this helped her a lot. She enjoyed it.

My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 06-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #158
1993BlackYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome!
1971 CJ5 "Dorothy" 225 Dauntless V6
1993 Black YJ 4.0L, 5 speed, Posi-Loc, 35x12.50 MTZ, 4" Skyjacker lift, Ramsey 8500 Winch, OBA, Front Aussie Locked, 8.8 ARB Rear, 4.10s

[SIZE="3"][B][B]My 93 Build Thread Over 700pics :[/B] [COLOR="Red"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-1st-jeep-build-1993yj-938195/[/url][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"][B][B]My 71 "Dorothy" Build Thread Lots of pics :[/B] [COLOR="Red"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/1971-cj5-dorothy-1122276/[/url][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

[B][SIZE="3"]My 53 CJ-3B "Ray" Build[/SIZE][/B]:[SIZE="3"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/1953-cj-b3-ray-1268717/#post12217917[/url][/SIZE]]

[B][I]Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior[/I][/B]
1993BlackYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #159
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here is my does and don'ts / take and not take list for all interested in a long trip.

Do's -

Allow plenty of time between stops. I have rushed things my whole life and I even found myself rushing this trip. That is a regret of mine, plan time to enjoy the sites, enjoy the jeep and your company if any. Also this allows time for problems, break downs etc..

Make sure a cooler with plenty of water is close enough it can be reached while driving. Also take a well insulated coozy that holds bottles of water and fits in your cup holders if they are in the floor. After just a few miles we noticed that in a matter of seconds our drinks were scorching hot. We stopped and bought coozy's and that made things much better.

Make sure you have good sunglasses holders (visor clips). With all the wind from meeting trucks and just blowing in the desert Sarah lost a pair right out the side.

Good sun screen, the sun was on my leg almost the entire trip to the west. My thigh just above my knee got rather well done.

Don'ts -

Make sure your jeep is geared correctly or down size your tires. This wasn't a huge issue, but I know it cost me gas mileage and time. There were times crossing the desert or climbing some of the long hills that I would get to 3rd gear and 45 mph. The wind in the desert is grueling and when it is blowing head on to you it can really pull the heep down a lot.

I should have put on a set of 31's AT's and that would have helped me a lot, plus it would have saved some wear on my other tires.

Things to take - (That we did not take)

Any spare parts you can fit with you, sensors, COIL.

Jerry Can or spare gas can with gas. I did not take one because I didn't know how hot it would get. I didn't have any jerry cans and did not want to take a plastic one. There was one time when I was concerned about making a gas station. It can happen out there, some of them are far between.

Things we did take -

Oil, lots of tools, flashlights, things to change a flat, emergency road kits, spare bungee cords.

GPS - couldn't have made it without it. Helps finding food, gas, lodging and your way.

Carabiner clips - I hooked medium size clips into the holes on the side rails along the sides of the jeep. This made it quick and easy to hook bungee cords in when tie things down.

Two small tool bags that zipped - we stuck these on the outside beside each seat. We each had a place to keep small nic-naks, sun flower seeds, my pistol stayed here, pocket knife, multi-tool, flashlight. Sarah kept her log book in hers to log gas fill-ups etc..

Spare rags and towel in the center console, good for wiping wet water bottles, sweat, and inside of windshield when needed.

Small Tarp - although we did not use ours, I still think it is a good move to have one.

Good Camera - Ours was not the best, just a small digital one. The pictures are not as good as I had hoped.

Jugs of water - I had about 3 or 4 gallons of water with me. I did pour a little into the overflow bottle once. That is all that I used. But if it over heats, there may not be a place to get water for miles.

Snack foods, took a small cooler with snacks. We did not eat much of it but had we broke down somewhere away from civilization I would have been glad to have it.

Coats or Jackets and Hoody's - We did use these from time to time. The higher elevations we quite cool. I think we were in the low 40's at one time with snow around. Dark hours can be quite cool in the desert also.

Things not to take -

To many clothes, we took way to many with us. Most of it just went along for the ride.

Summary -

If anyone is interested in how we hauled everything just let me know and I will explain. I think the pics show it all though. It was basically 3 bungee cords that held everything in. This made it quick and easy to load and unload when needed.

Folks - I think that is about all I can come up with right now. It was an awesome trip and I plan to do more of them. Maybe one every year or two anyway. If you have an opportunity to take your kid with you, it is a great way to spend some quality time together, see some country and make some great memories. I know that we did!!!
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 06-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #160
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

My daughter and I are leaving in 2 weeks and 2 days, I can't wait! Great advice on the do's and don'ts, already secured a better camera and working on a true GPS, not going to rely on the one on my phone.
Unread 06-20-2011, 11:55 PM   #161
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide View Post
We then moved on to Canon City where we met raynmaker and his wife. They drove down from Colorado Springs to meet up with us. They took us to dinner at a nice Mexican Food place and we visited, sharing pictures of different jeep experiences. Very nice couple, we really enjoyed being able to meet someone from JF.. After seeing some of their pics of some trails in their area, I have got to get up there sometime and have them show me around a little.

Anytime. You got a place to stay when you come back.
Unread 06-20-2011, 11:59 PM   #162
GottaYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome thread! Wish I could have met you guys up in Flagstaff. Sounds like you hit most of the important scenic places. Will definately reference this for my future road trips.
GottaYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 12:02 AM   #163
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Map. GPS is good but if someone! forgets to charge it your done for. wife hates it when i bring that up. lol

jackets? And you laughed at us for wearing ours. lol Hills get cold at night.
Unread 06-21-2011, 08:06 AM   #164
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynmaker View Post
Map. GPS is good but if someone! forgets to charge it your done for. wife hates it when i bring that up. lol

jackets? And you laughed at us for wearing ours. lol Hills get cold at night.
A map is a given with me. Only reason to bring a GPS is to use the coordinates to get a more accurate position on the map.
Unread 06-21-2011, 08:11 AM   #165
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynmaker View Post

--snip--
My GPS has a rechargeable battery, plus it plugs into the cig. lighter. I think my GPS saves me gas because it quickly calculates and re-calculates the quickest route.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.