Call Me Crazy, ROAD TRIP!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Call Me Crazy, ROAD TRIP!!!

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 06-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Call Me Crazy, ROAD TRIP!!!

First off if this is posted in the wrong place I sincerely apologize!!

My 1 month shy of 18 year old daughter and I are headed for a last hoorah before she is off to college. We live in west central Arkansas and plan to head out Saturday morning with the heep on a road trip to Grand Canyon, maybe further. Bikini top only, tubs in back with clothes and necessities, ice chest with drinks and snacks. It should be approx a 2000 to 2500 mile round trip. Heep is in top running shape, all fluids changed, greased up ready to go. I am in the military and travel all over the world but for some reason I have never made it to the Grand Canyon and have always wanted to. If we make the grand canyon it will may be on to Hoover Dam, if that then maybe on to Vegas. I would love to drive the heep with no top down the Vegas strip at night to see the lights. So we are making Vegas our ultimate goal for this trip. But when we get tired we are going to rest, when we want to go we will go. No schedule, no hurry. I have plenty of time off work and she doesn't have a job so who knows where we will end up.

Mostly this is about spending some quality time with my wonderful daughter before she goes off to college and starts her life on her own. She has made us extremely proud and I couldn't think of a better way to spend some quality time together.

Ok, here is my list of things I have with me. Let me know what I am missing and remember room is not extremely plentiful, I am traveling with a teenage girl.

High Lift Jack (Mounted on front bumper)
Nice assortment of tools, metrics, torx, standard, misc other normal hand tools etc..
Zip ties
Gloves
Travel Emergency kit that includes flares, jumper cables, flashlights, 12v compressor.
Rags
2 gallons of non-potable water
Large break over bar and sockets

That is the bulk of what I am taking, oh yeah, pistol if the conceal carry laws will let me. I am going to check them next.

If anyone is along I-40 in Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico or Arizona and want to PM me there phone number and location we might could meet and shake hands. I would love to meet some other JF YJ folks.

Any words of advice will be welcome also. Done lots of road trips but never in a YJ.

3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
bikerdude
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Two words..... Duct Tape You can't take everything you "might" need and it looks as though your list covers the basics, I always have a test light with me too. sounds like you and your daughter will have a trip to always remember, don't forget the camera and I always take a pen and paper to keep a little journal of what I did each day. 10 years later when I reread it, I always re-live things I would have forgotten otherwise.
bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

your missing duck tape. other then that, i think you got it. take extra oil and trans fluid though.

you are now the envy of many. you guys have fun and be safe.
Unread 06-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Great to see you enjoying the heap with your daughter. Just be careful about letting her drive it...... I'm glad to see you post up. Keep us updated on the trip.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Good thing about driving a YJ or a TJ, parts are easy to get, any parts house should have whatever you need in stock. Keep a real close eye on the fluids and give the Heep a good checkover while in your down time and before you start the next leg of your trip as it is easier to fix a Jeep if need be, while you are in a populated area with a motel room versus on the side of some lonely highway. What about a CB?
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Road trips in a YJ are fun but when you get home you're kind of glad.

I would ditch the Hi lift, it's no good when you're on your own. A bottle jack is lighter, smaller, sturdier and faster to deploy. Duct tape, "moist wipes" and ear plugs are good things to have. Don't forget to bring a towel.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome, So jealous. I would definatly add a CB to the Jeep if you do not have one.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
UnFocused
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Some ear plugs might be nice for the long, flat, boring runs
UnFocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Great to see you enjoying the heap with your daughter. Just be careful about letting her drive it...... I'm glad to see you post up. Keep us updated on the trip.
Que, there was a time not to long ago that if I could have gotten this thing to the Grand Canyon I would have drove it off the highest point and walked home. I never thought I would be doing this with it, but man since that major issue it has ran perfect every since.. Put 10,000 on it since then....
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 06-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post
Two words..... Duct Tape You can't take everything you "might" need and it looks as though your list covers the basics, I always have a test light with me too. sounds like you and your daughter will have a trip to always remember, don't forget the camera and I always take a pen and paper to keep a little journal of what I did each day. 10 years later when I reread it, I always re-live things I would have forgotten otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
your missing duck tape. other then that, i think you got it. take extra oil and trans fluid though.

you are now the envy of many. you guys have fun and be safe.
You guys are right, I do have the bailing wire and pliers, but forgot the duct tape. I have a roll and am throwing it in.
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 06-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #11
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Awesome, So jealous. I would definatly add a CB to the Jeep if you do not have one.
Forgot to mention I do have a CB, I plan on tuning my antenna again tomorrow, I don't think I did it right when I installed it. I have weather channel and emergency channels also.
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 06-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would trade out the 2 gallons of non-potable water for a few jugs of distilled or drinking water. It's only like 89 cents a gallon, and I'd want to know that I had enough drinking water on hand when driving through the desert in the summer time.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #13
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Why non potable to begin with?
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #14
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
I would trade out the 2 gallons of non-potable water for a few jugs of distilled or drinking water. It's only like 89 cents a gallon, and I'd want to know that I had enough drinking water on hand when driving through the desert in the summer time.
Yeah I didn't mention that we have 2 ice chest of food and drinks (water) and also a couple of cases of bottle water on the side. I plan on keeping that stocked as we stop places on the way.

Shoot we are even going to suspend some fruit from the roll bars to pick at along the way until 1. we eat it all. 2. It falls on us and bounces out the side. or 3. It spoils from all the heat.
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 06-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #15
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
Why non potable to begin with?
Just had the jugs lying around with it in it from wheelin trips and thought I would throw them in. Never really thought about it, we do have drinking water a board.
My-95-YJ Build Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.