A/C Refurbish - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > A/C Refurbish

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 04-11-2010, 07:30 AM   #1
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

A/C Refurbish

Well I'm redoing my factory A/C system that still works but is low on R-12 and now I'm going to R-134a. I've already evacuated the system and I've removed the evaporator unit from underneath the dash. I'm going to clean it up and seal up any cracks and insulate it the best I can. I know I'm going to need a new drier and I'm going to replace the expansion valve. My compressor is good so that will stay.

My questions are:

-Should I spray some sort of cleaner through my hoses to remove the old oil?
(Did use compressed air to get some out).

-I'm going to get the standard A/C drier but on Jeepair.com there is an option for a compression fitting? Mine I just unscrewed the lines so I don't think I need that one just the standard.

-Should I replace the high pressure switch on the drier?

-Any good tips for insulating besides standard foam from Lowe's?

-What is the conversion factor for the amount of R-12 to R-134a? I have been told you can't put the recommended R-12 amount for the R-134a.

-Anything else I should know?

Before someone ask why I'm doing this; My gf and co-pilot melts down here in the Summer. Also she asked why I could spend $XXXX.XX of dollars on wheels and tires but not the $100 or so to keep her more comfortable when wheeling. So there you go. Since I have a semi-working A/C I couldn't argue.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia

Last edited by Louie4; 04-11-2010 at 08:08 AM..
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wow. I just bought a retrofit kit at Walmart and blew the cans in after putting the 134a access valve caps on. I used it for 2yrs with no issues. It cost me $50 IIRC. It still had a full charge and worked fine right up until I sucked it out for my engine swap.
Unread 04-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #3
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerman View Post
Wow. I just bought a retrofit kit at Walmart and blew the cans in after putting the 134a access valve caps on. I used it for 2yrs with no issues. It cost me $50 IIRC. It still had a full charge and worked fine right up until I sucked it out for my engine swap.
When mine did have a full charge of R-12 it worked good but would turn warm for a period and then back to cold. I asked one of the other mechanics at my shop what he thought and he said the expansion valve might be freezing up and is having to thaw out. Since a new one is only $14.99 why not.

I did the same thing you did with a beater '86 Civic. I just pulled a compressor from a junkyard, put a vacuum on it and filled it with oil and refrigerant. It worked great until my head gasket started leaking. The extra heat from the A/C was causing the motor to get hot so I had to stop using it.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
Cajun90YJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

.87 is the conversion rate when going to 134a from r12 so how ever much r12 it takes multiply it by .87 and thats how much 134 you need. I would not change the switch unless it was bad, if it aint broke dont fix it. As far as cleaning the lines out, you can use some brake cleaner in them then blow it out with air, but dont get the cleaner in the compressor.
Cajun90YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun90YJ View Post
.87 is the conversion rate when going to 134a from r12 so how ever much r12 it takes multiply it by .87 and thats how much 134 you need. I would not change the switch unless it was bad, if it aint broke dont fix it. As far as cleaning the lines out, you can use some brake cleaner in them then blow it out with air, but dont get the cleaner in the compressor.
Thanks! I got some A/C flush in an aerosol can to flush every component then blow out with compressed air. So far I have the evaporator out cleaning the coils, just ordered the o-ring kit and the drier, and cleaning the housing. The housing has some cracks so I need to get some JB weld on that. I'll take pics and post tomorrow.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
Cajun90YJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You can also clean out the fins on the condenser to help the air flow, and if you have the $$ put an electric fan, it will help with cooling at low speeds.
Cajun90YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun90YJ View Post
You can also clean out the fins on the condenser to help the air flow, and if you have the $$ put an electric fan, it will help with cooling at low speeds.
I keep the condenser pretty clean so that should be good to go. I tried the taurus fan swap but it was way too thick to fit between the water pump and radiator.

I'm planning on getting the 11 oz oil and refrigerant can. It has 8 oz of oil and 3 oz of refrigerant. I think that 8 oz will be plenty.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I started revamping the A/C and I actually took a bunch of pics because I found my gf's camera in the back of the seat in the saddle bag. It has been lost since last August when we went wheeling at Beasley in North Georgia.

How I began with all the parts and what not:

The lower part of the housing with the thermostat still in:

The top part of the housing with a crack in it:

The evaporator. Pretty dirty. I cleaned it with some compressed air and a small wire brush:

What I used to flush the evaporator and condenser:

Will finish posting pics tomorrow.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I began cleaning the housing and taking everything apart. I took the whole under dash unit out then disassembled from there.

I took the expansion valve off the evaporator and oil started to pour out every where. Once I had the evaporator off I used a wire brush and compressed air to clean it:

Flushing the evaporator:

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:14 AM   #10
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Went out to the jeep to flush the condenser:

I used an empty gallon oil container to catch the cleaner from the line. No I did not flush the compressor. That's a no-no:

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #11
DAVEs93YJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice work on the thread. I wish it would have been posted about a week or two ago.

Take a look back at my thread if you don't mind I had another question.
DAVEs93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #12
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I still have some more pics to post. I received the wrong drier though so I'm waiting for that.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-15-2010, 10:06 PM   #13
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

An easy way to refill with r134 is to use a gauge on the low pressure side ( the fill side ) to about 25 to no more than 30 psi . This pressure is with the compressor running. Now this might take a few touch up after a bit. Test after about a day of use or if it does not stay cold . Then is should about freeze your rear end out of the jeep. Mine still has r 12 and will freeze your hand in just a little bit and enough to make the wife start redirecting the air flow. So good luck with your rebuild for the A/C
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #14
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Three years later and I finally get around to finishing this. I just ordered a new condenser so this thread may not be useless.

I ordered the new condenser from jeepair.com for $149.99. Shipping was $15 so not too bad. One thing I need to do is take my hoses off in the engine bay and make sure they are clean and free of debris. I should probably buy some more A/C flush and do that again.

I'll post pics and actually update this in a week or so. A major force behind this project is my wife who I've been telling I would do this one fix for her.

I posted up some pics of the cracked housing. Well I fixed that with JB weld back in '10 and also wrapped the hoses to the evaporator in insulation.

I plan on taking it to a shop after I'm done to pull a vacuum and then put the R-134a in. Since I've started this I have a Taurus fan for cooling so I will tap off the clutch wire to the relay to kick the low fan speed on when the compressor is running.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 07-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #15
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I just used rubbing alcohol to clean out the system and then refilled with a can ofboil and some cans of freon from Walmart. mine works great. I didn't change any parts or anything like that but I think adding an electric fan is a good idea. mine gets to almost 3/4 on the temp gage when the ac is on

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.