Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Buzzing Noise Under Hood

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  SimonTuffGuy 
#1 ·
I've been hearing a weird noise under the hood of my Jeep for... roughly the last week. But, it may have been going on longer without being noticed.

The Jeep is off, not running. I drove 15 miles this morning and parked it to fix the crack in my windshield. The noise seems to be coming from the firewall area... Maybe the computer? It's a very quiet, but noticable buzzing, or... pinging like noise.

It's a 4.0, the only thing that I've changed recently was that I installed a snorkel. The Jeep had cruise control, which I removed 2 of the pieces and plugged the vaccum lines with a bolt.

I guess it is possible that could be the cause, but those tubes are further out on the fender area and not back by the firewall.

Anyone have any suggestions or have something like this on their Jeep? I did a search and found a thread from 3/07... But there was no resolution found in that case.

#2 ·
After getting home and going out to the Jeep... It's still happening. It almost sounds like a chriping noise. Still can't locate it though... Sounds like it's coming from the firewall area, around the computer... But, it could be burried down deeper somewhere else.

If anything has a suggestion of something inparticular to look at, I'd appreciate it.

#5 ·
Joe - I'm not sure where those components exactly are. It sounds like it's on the drivers side.

xeroid - Shorted relay? The Jeep starts and runs just fine... Everything seems to be functional (aside from the cruise which I removed)...

Checked the hoses for the cruise that I plugged and they all seem to be fine and not the cause of this noise. I thought that maybe it was something to do with the front vaccum for 4wd, but those are all on and tight, seems to be ok there.

Maybe I'll have to break out the point and shoot camera with video to see if I can catch the said "noise"...

#6 · (Edited)
I have the same noise going on in mine! It's the "chirping" noise you're talking about. Damned if I know what it is... At first I thought it was the belt sqealing, but it's not that. I hear the noise right at the back of the motor. I'm stumped as to what it is, it does if for a few minutes then stops, and will do it again then stop and so on... It does this whether it's idling or driving down the road, but doesn't do it all the time. I'm going to watch this post, if you find out anything let me know, as I will do the same... This is really bugging me :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.