Buying YJ Hardtop... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Buying YJ Hardtop...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
TheGanzman
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Buying YJ Hardtop...

Greetings! I would like to pick up a YJ hardtop that I looked at last week, but here's my quandary: The top (as well as MY Jeep) has no provisions for attaching the front edge to the windshield frame - my '91 never had a hardtop, so it has no attachment holes; the hardtop I'm looking at buying has had the holes 'glassed over before it was repainted. Can I bolt that top down securely using all the tub bolts "out back" and drive it home on the freeway without it blowing off? If not, any suggestions on temporarily attaching the front edge of the top to the windshield frame WITHOUT drilling any holes? I don't want to drill any holes yet because ultimately I want to adapt some TJ latches to the hardtop. Thanks in advance for your help!

TheGanzman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You can do it.

Be creative and use these:
image.jpg  
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
BuffaWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I drove all last winter without bolting down the front edge. It wasn't actually too bad. I WOULD suggest using the largest washers possible on the back bolts so you can tighten them down pretty well, and spread the force out to prevent the fiberglass from cracking.

I picked up some latches similar to those ^^^, just never got around to riveting them on.

(also my little 4 banger with stock gearing- on 31's- now 33's- doesn't get much above 65 MPH)

I was actually going to start a thread about this. My Jeep is a 95, and the top was from a 95 as well. I've been wondering if having "closer" years between tops helps with fitment. I also picked up the front rubber "corner pieces", and don't see any possible way to get them in there where it would be beneficial to sealing the front.
Unread 11-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
beakerbload
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Those latches look much better than mine, then again mine are about 1/6th of an inch away from actually latching. I think I'm going to cut some black tubing to length and stick it to the lip of the hard top to seal and raise it up a bit.
beakerbload is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
TheGanzman
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
You can do it.

Be creative and use these:
Those latches look better than the ones *I* bought too, which I got from "Fastenol"; can you advise a source for them?
Unread 11-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Google image search directed me to this website:

http://www.directindustry.com/prod/i...90-495886.html

I think you can get them at any craft store like Michael's or linens and things. I will do a local search since I want to convert mine now.
Thanks for the inspiration, guys.
Unread 11-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
TheGanzman
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well, that's DEFINITELY the way I wanna go ULTIMATELY; meanwhile, back to my question, to wit: Will I be safe to drive ~100 miles at freeway speeds with virtually NO header attachment, assuming that I secure the tub bolts w/some big-*** bolts/flat washers? I don't want that thing pulling up/off on me and turning my smile upside down into a frown, doncha know...
Unread 11-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

There is no difinitive way to say that it'll be ok or not. Just make sure it fits snugly over the windshield frame and duct tape the front gap to eliminate any wind from getting underneath and lifting it off. Duct tape always wins
Unread 11-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
TheGanzman
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
There is no difinitive way to say that it'll be ok or not. Just make sure it fits snugly over the windshield frame and duct tape the front gap to eliminate any wind from getting underneath and lifting it off. Duct tape always wins
Goot idee!
Unread 11-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i drove mine 2 hours without the front latched down, when i bought it. it was fine on the highway, just lour because it would lift up and let air in.

on the back part, there are supposed to be aluminum strips that run down each side so the bolts don't gouge the fiberglass and so the loud is spread out more. they fit right on top of hte lip the bolts go into
Unread 11-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
animal0307
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I did the same to get mine home. Just make sure you remember to pull off the soft top channel on the top of the windshield before you put on the hard top.
animal0307 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.