Buying a YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Buying a YJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-22-2001, 03:33 PM   #1
Spalding

Buying a YJ

Hi,

I am looking to but a YJ. The pickings around here are slim though. I have two possibilities right now, an 87 and an 88. The 87 has 180 000k and the 88 has 204 000k. They both have the larger engine. I was wondering whether I should be worried about a Jeep with this mileage? What should I look for, are there any common problems? I like to do all the service work myself and I am a recent convert from the world of BMW.
Thanks,
Spalding

Spalding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2001, 12:09 AM   #2
RFWrangler

Well let me be the first to welcome you to the world of American made muscle. As far as mileage goes, I would look at the shape of the engine and the overall shape of the Jeep. I am assuming by "bigger engine" you are refering to the 4.0 Inline 6. I have had that engine in both of the Jeeps I have owned. It was in my first Jeep, My Cherokee Laredo, It had 269,000 miles on it and still ran like a champ. Then through a long series of events I won't discuss, I had to sell it. I saw it again recently and it still was runnin great at over 350,000. My Yj has 101,000 on it. So just keep your eyes open for obvious damage and overall condition, you can't go wrong with a Jeep!!!
Clarion BD216, RF 200aIV, Clarion APA2030, RF HE2 12's, Rf 4x6's, RF 1" Tweets, Eclipse EUU-1300, Aura Bass Shakers Security: Clifford Power: Optima Yellow top,Thrush turbo 2 1/2" Exhaust, Radio Shack Sport CB, 102" whip antenna, Dual tips on Exhaust, K&N custom intake, KC Lightbar, 4 KC Daylighters.
Scored a 139 on the Jeep Rater.
RFWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2001, 07:27 PM   #3
Brendan

The best year YJ ever in my opinion was the 91. The 87-90 have a 4.2L 6 cyl engine that has gobs of torque, but very little horsepower (120 or so) stock. The 91 has the High Output 4.0 L 6. This engine has about 180 horses, and plenty of torque. The 91 rules because it also has the old style roll bar. THe only difference in the two years is the 88 has a different transfer case. the 87 has the np231 i think. I have an 88 and I love it, but trust me, it will try your patience with the way the carb behaves sometimes. Welcome to the world of jeeps. YOu should check out sites like: Quadratec.com and 4wheeldrivehardware.com

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2001, 09:16 PM   #4
Rockwall

just adding to brendan
91 YJ's RULE
(just my 0.02$)
Rockwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2001, 08:32 AM   #5
Pantera

Bingo, 91 is the year to get... You get the old bar and the new engine (+ Fuel Injection)...
Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2001, 08:39 AM   #6
Kev
Master of the Obvious

One thing you want to think about is the 87-90 (I think) Wranglers have the kind of crummy transmissions (BA10) that have been known to cause problems.

I haven't owned one, but when I was shopping for my Jeep, I was told to avoid those years because of tranny problems. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me...

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2001, 08:42 AM   #7
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I too just came from the world of BMW. I bought a 93 YJ but I still kept the BMW, honestly I don't know which is more fun to drive... the BMW is a 99 M series I bought in germany and modified for racing, but It can't go off road (trust me I tried and wound up breaking something). Each has its perks, Im faced with a tough decision... I'm going to be working in Florida and I don't know which to bring. Its leaning toward the jeep right now...
04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2001, 08:47 PM   #8
Spalding

Thanks for all the advive. I ended up buying an 87 with the six and 180 000 km. One owner and in nice shape.
Spalding is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.