Buying a YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Buying a YJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 04-01-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
Leoboy297
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Buying a YJ

I am going to look at a YJ this weekend, and i have been talking to the guy a lot it seems pretty decent its a 1990 4cyl 5 speed 140K, and my question for you guys is, when i asked him about the 4x4 he said exactly "it works, but sometimes it doesnt want to disengage because it's vaccuum opperated". I know that's true, but is he trying to cover something up ? What can i do to test it? I'm new to YJ's. Thanks Guys

Unread 04-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

If your in lower central upstate, I will take a look at it for you.

The fork might be sticking. just sounds like a negotiating point to me , known issues =worth less. a lot of people just bypass the vacuum dico anyway. I don't consider that a big issue.

edit- on second thought.... maybe it doesn't disengage because the jeep isn't done wheeling yet. buy it and listen too it, it will tell you when it's time to leave the trails
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Allen52105
1993 YJ Wrangler 

eather way I would pass on the jeep....just for the fact its carb. that is unless its a GREAT deal. got a pic and info on it?
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
Leoboy297
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The Jeep is in good condition besides the drivers side floor, it has a new clutch, new radiator, and new tires.. I dont know i mean i am probally going to look at it.. i just dont know what to do.
Leoboy297 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
autoboy454
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen52105 View Post
eather way I would pass on the jeep....just for the fact its carb. that is unless its a GREAT deal. got a pic and info on it?
it's a 4cyl, so no carb. I don't think Jeep made a carbed 4 cylinder (in the YJ's, let's not get into F-heads )

I would also like to get a couple pics of it if you snap some when you go to look at it again. My brother got his YJ for pretty cheap because the Vacuum Disco wasn't functioning right too (and there happened to be a lot of rust... )
Unread 04-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
Leoboy297
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Anything else you guys would suggest looking for overall when i go to test drive and look at this thing? any input helps. thanks!
Unread 04-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
I8AHUMR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Tap the frame at various points with a screwdriver and make sure there's no frame rot if you think it's been neglected at all. Pay attention around the area in front of the rear crossmember. Around the rear shackle. Also around the power steering up front.

If the vacuum disco is intermittent its probably not that big of a deal. You could go to a posi-lok for about $200 or go the homemade posi-lok route for $50-$75. Not a deal breaker IMHO...

05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Drive II
I8AHUMR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #8
Leoboy297
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Anything else anybody could give me some tips on before i go look at it tommorow ?
Unread 04-03-2010, 03:41 AM   #9
Dhofstet
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ask yourself if you really want a 4 cylinder. Is this going to be your DD? I wish i got a 6 but at the same time i am happy i do have a jeep. Only reason i bought the 4 is because i was desperate for a jeep and it was a good deal.

As mentioned, check for frame rot, rust, test out the 4x4. How much is he asking?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.