burned fuse link, need ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > burned fuse link, need ideas

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 11-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
RDuff
1988 YJ Wrangler 

burned fuse link, need ideas

88yj, 258, I was gonna take the jeep out for a spin this afternoon, beautiful day here in Houston, it started right up, I noticed the voltmeter was on zero, it is the only gauge that works consistently, then the engine shut down like i had turned off the ignition, I smelled an electrical burn smell. Upon inspection I found a burned fuse link that is attached to what appears to be a relay with several wires attached to it including one going to the starter relay; this device is attached to the firewall next to the battery and upon close inspection appears original.
Questions: Is this a relay between the ignition switch and the starter relay, can it be purchased from an auto parts store?
Can a regular fuse be wired in to replace the fuse link, if so what amp fuse?
Any info would be helpfull.
Thanks
RDUFF

RDuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Are you talking about this thing? If not, ignore the following

Which fusible link blew (where does the wire go)? That's where your problem probably is.

The thing on the firewall (the manual calls it the starter relay, I don't really know why) is probably fine.

Move it up higher on the firewall and it is a lot easier to work on.

You can buy another fusible link at the autoparts store. I don't know about using a regular inline fuse, but they sell those too.
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
RDuff
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hey, yeah thats it, the link is attached to a red wire going into the wiring harness. also when the ignition key is turned to start the starter doesnt crank there is no relay click or anything, the battery and cables are good the lites and horn work.
Thanks for the reply.
Unread 11-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, all I know to tell you is that you got to follow that wire and find out why it blew the fusible link. The wiring diagrams are online someplace if you don't have them already.

Better you than me.

If your wire is on the same post as the battery cable, then that relay is just a power distribution post. Depending on what that wire goes to, you might be able to easily bypass it (I know you can for the one that goes to the alternator bat terminal).
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You could replace the link with a fuse. Now you have to find out what amps it should be. Also you will want to keep some where heat and water is keep at a minimum.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
DirtyDog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I had a similar problem with that relay, and I guess this is particular to the 88 YJ and maybe others.

Mine was smoking like crazy from there and the mechanic ended up taking out the fusible link and tying two wires together. I am not sure what they were going to, but my voltmeter was giving a low reading and my alternator was not charging my battery properly.

I think what he did is a temporary solution, and I expect more problems from the same area in the future.

My positive battery terminal was rather loose as well, and the mechanic said that this could have something to do with it. I don't know if this is the case or not, but this was my experience. The relay shocked him pretty bad when he stuck his hand down there so be careful.

I would like to do the same thing you are doing and just purchase the new part, but don't know if they even sell it or if it will even permanently fix the problem.

Any ideas from anybody on how to fix this issue once and for all?
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
RDuff
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply, the relay is available at O'Reily auto parts, about 46 bucks, i havent purchasd it yet.
The link that burned on mine appear to connect to the hot lead going to the ignition, so when it died everything connected through the ignition was dead.
Also while i was tracing the wire yesterday i noticed a wire going to the oil pressure switch (not the sending unit) had the insulation burned off it, i dont know if this is related or not, it is really difficult to tell where the wires connected to the oil pressure switch does or how it is wired into the system, i have not been able to find it on wiring diagrams hat i have.
Unread 11-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDuff View Post
Thanks for the reply, the relay is available at O'Reily auto parts, about 46 bucks, i havent purchasd it yet.
The link that burned on mine appear to connect to the hot lead going to the ignition, so when it died everything connected through the ignition was dead.
Also while i was tracing the wire yesterday i noticed a wire going to the oil pressure switch (not the sending unit) had the insulation burned off it, i dont know if this is related or not, it is really difficult to tell where the wires connected to the oil pressure switch does or how it is wired into the system, i have not been able to find it on wiring diagrams hat i have.
Check for added lights, radio/amps, and any other new equipment tnat is 12 volts. If these pull power fromn the ignition circuit, that is your problem. Run a new positive bus from your battery (with breakers and/or fuses) to power these new toys.

Same thing on the wire from the oil switch. That lead should only go to the relay that fires the intake manifold heater.

Google CJ wiring diagrams. The mid 80s CJs have the same wiring your Jeep has. Those diagrams are on line and easy to find.
Unread 11-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
RDuff
1988 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the info, do you know if regular parts stores carry that oil pressure switch, i an assuming that the switch shorted causing the wire to burn.
Unread 04-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
iLuvJeepYJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Same exact thing happened to my jeep a few weeks ago.Smelt a burn and it just shut off. im replacing the fusible links and redoing my wiring.
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
RDuff
1988 YJ Wrangler 

fuse link

Thanks for posting, as you noticed this was orignally posted in NOV 2010, iI still havenot completed the wiring project. I did identify the short that caused my link to burn, as was noted it was a melted wire cinnected to the oil pressure switch, that wire, as was posted later, provided power to the manifold heater, I found the wire stripped and grounded to the manifold causing the short. I am about to retire so hopefully I will have time to work on my jeep which has mutiple problems. Good Luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.