bumperettes. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > bumperettes.

Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
ThreeToe
1992 YJ Wrangler 

bumperettes.

Hey guys I was just rearel ended today I'm trying to give the guy a break, he's on disability and I don't wanna screw his insurance. His car was pretty much totaled but the bumperettes took the blast for me.

I was wondering if any one has any bumperettes kicking around they would be willing to part with. Online they are all ranging from 60-100 bones.

Gotta love the YJ just takes a beating and keeps on ticking.

ThreeToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 10:03 PM   #2
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKar View Post
Dammit. Do I really need four quotes for my sig? So tempting...
You snooze you lose!!

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

You can usually find them on craigslist for 25 bucks a set.

I like them as they were on the first Jeeps and serve a purpose for parking nose to tail in tight quarters
Unread 03-11-2014, 10:16 PM   #4
ThreeToe
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I've had no luck with used vic, kijiji, or craigslist but I'll keep looking.
ThreeToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 10:35 PM   #5
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Try this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-CJ-Wran...49314d&vxp=mtr
Unread 03-11-2014, 11:22 PM   #6
OldSchoolRodz
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeToe
Yeah I've had no luck with used vic, kijiji, or craigslist but I'll keep looking.
Generally speaking, if you get rear ended in a YJ, the back swing gate gets bent too. Give yours a good once over!

Here's the million dollar conundrum to consider when looking for bumperettes.... OEM bumperettes are about four times heavier that the cheap aftermarkt versions I've seen.

That being said when I my relatively new Jeep was rear-ended in the mid 90's, the rear Xmember was more damaged than my OEM bumperettes .... I guess thas not necessarrily a good thing!

I had the rear Xmember replaced, and upgraded to OEM chromes that were still Avail at the stealership way back when.

I've gone aftermarket on the bow, but I love my OEM chrome bumperettes, and can't bear to give up the stern to some rear "I wanna be a Jeep too" bumper.

PS, Glad the moderator is willing to willing to censor beavis and butthead! from the rest of our efforts to be of some service to each other!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
93 YJ 2.5L on as much juice as lil 4 banger can handle, Sum New School Bump N Grind Guards, TJ Wheels N Fat Meats, Sum Old School Mojo[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Lime"][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
OldSchoolRodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 11:41 PM   #7
hanshunter

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have the originals from my '95.. however I was taken to the cleaners by another user here. Shipped him my rear brake light assembly and he didn't send payment... So a bit reluctant to do that again ... I will ship you mine for $45 plus shipping..not sure how much the shipping would be though..

Been to Victoria...really nice up there!
hanshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 11:56 PM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolRodz View Post
PS, Glad the moderator is willing to censor beavis and butthead
Huh huh huh. Uh huh huh. You said butt.

On topic: a proper bumper will not only protrude enoug to protect the rest of your jeep from damage but also have some crush zones to take an impact. Sacrificing your rear crossmember because the bolts hooked to the bumper tweaked it isn't the end of the world. However; ripping your body mounts out of the rear of the jeep and folding over your tailgate isn't the best case scenario in a parking lot fender bender (proverbially, of course). Bumper height is also an important factor to consider. Too low and you'll smash the tub. Too high and you'll funnel traffic into the gas tank.

Plan wisely.
Unread 03-12-2014, 04:49 AM   #9
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i have a set of stock from a cj7 but who knows how shipping will be from south texas to up there
Unread 03-12-2014, 05:44 AM   #10
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Have you checked everything else for damage? When I got hit while parked in front of my house, the car that hit me was totaled, the Jeep was moved about 10 feet with only a bit of paint knocked off of the bumperette. When I went to move it, I noticed that one rear spring had broken, right at the eye in the front. Those wimpy looking bumpers are pretty tough!
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 05:54 AM   #11
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Got the stockers off of my '92 but again, shipping from SW Florida???

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 06:56 AM   #12
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have em laying on the floor right now. I refuse to put anything with "ette's" in the name back on my jeep. PM me if you want to work out a deal. Can't see it being cost effective for you with shipping fees and all. You'll have to paint them.
whiskeywiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #13
CJ5_Fan
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
You can usually find them on craigslist for 25 bucks a set.

I like them as they were on the first Jeeps and serve a purpose for parking nose to tail in tight quarters
As a historical tid-bit, bumperettes were on jeeps originally to stop jack-knifing of trailers by acting as a turn-radius stop that would 'give' if encountered........

Click HERE to check out my CJ5 restoration project page
CJ5_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 01:51 PM   #14
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Ever seen Jeeps loaded on a ship or landing craft? The Bumperetts allow tight packing. Not every jeep had a hitch.
Unread 03-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #15
OldSchoolRodz
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Huh huh huh. Uh huh huh. You said butt.
On topic: a proper bumper will not only protrude enoug to protect the rest of your jeep from damage but also have some crush zones to take an impact.
Plan wisely.
I got an answer for that... I put ha huge heavy class 3 bumper hitch on my Heep, with a looong dropped hitch bar and ball. The next feller or fem that rear-ends me is gonna get skewered long before they make contact with my spare!

I don't even have anything to tow... does that make me a mean person???
93 YJ 2.5L on as much juice as lil 4 banger can handle, Sum New School Bump N Grind Guards, TJ Wheels N Fat Meats, Sum Old School Mojo[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Lime"][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
OldSchoolRodz is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.