JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   bumperettes. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/bumperettes-2206385/)

ThreeToe 03-11-2014 10:39 PM

bumperettes.

Hey guys I was just rearel ended today I'm trying to give the guy a break, he's on disability and I don't wanna screw his insurance. His car was pretty much totaled but the bumperettes took the blast for me.

I was wondering if any one has any bumperettes kicking around they would be willing to part with. Online they are all ranging from 60-100 bones.

Gotta love the YJ just takes a beating and keeps on ticking.

Xpress 03-11-2014 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtKar (Post 21163057)
Dammit. Do I really need four quotes for my sig? So tempting...

You snooze you lose!! :rofl:

Old4X 03-11-2014 11:14 PM

You can usually find them on craigslist for 25 bucks a set.

I like them as they were on the first Jeeps and serve a purpose for parking nose to tail in tight quarters

ThreeToe 03-11-2014 11:16 PM

Yeah I've had no luck with used vic, kijiji, or craigslist but I'll keep looking.

mudsweatNgearz 03-11-2014 11:35 PM

Try this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-CJ-Wran...49314d&vxp=mtr

OldSchoolRodz 03-12-2014 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeToe
Yeah I've had no luck with used vic, kijiji, or craigslist but I'll keep looking.

Generally speaking, if you get rear ended in a YJ, the back swing gate gets bent too. Give yours a good once over!

Here's the million dollar conundrum to consider when looking for bumperettes.... OEM bumperettes are about four times heavier that the cheap aftermarkt versions I've seen.

That being said when I my relatively new Jeep was rear-ended in the mid 90's, the rear Xmember was more damaged than my OEM bumperettes .... I guess thas not necessarrily a good thing!

I had the rear Xmember replaced, and upgraded to OEM chromes that were still Avail at the stealership way back when.

I've gone aftermarket on the bow, but I love my OEM chrome bumperettes, and can't bear to give up the stern to some rear "I wanna be a Jeep too" bumper.

PS, Glad the moderator is willing to willing to censor beavis and butthead! from the rest of our efforts to be of some service to each other!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

hanshunter 03-12-2014 12:41 AM

I have the originals from my '95.. however I was taken to the cleaners by another user here. Shipped him my rear brake light assembly and he didn't send payment... So a bit reluctant to do that again ... I will ship you mine for $45 plus shipping..not sure how much the shipping would be though..

Been to Victoria...really nice up there!

Anticanman 03-12-2014 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchoolRodz (Post 21164921)
PS, Glad the moderator is willing to censor beavis and butthead

Huh huh huh. Uh huh huh. You said butt.

On topic: a proper bumper will not only protrude enoug to protect the rest of your jeep from damage but also have some crush zones to take an impact. Sacrificing your rear crossmember because the bolts hooked to the bumper tweaked it isn't the end of the world. However; ripping your body mounts out of the rear of the jeep and folding over your tailgate isn't the best case scenario in a parking lot fender bender (proverbially, of course). Bumper height is also an important factor to consider. Too low and you'll smash the tub. Too high and you'll funnel traffic into the gas tank.

Plan wisely.

superj 03-12-2014 05:49 AM

i have a set of stock from a cj7 but who knows how shipping will be from south texas to up there

EABiker 03-12-2014 06:44 AM

Have you checked everything else for damage? When I got hit while parked in front of my house, the car that hit me was totaled, the Jeep was moved about 10 feet with only a bit of paint knocked off of the bumperette. When I went to move it, I noticed that one rear spring had broken, right at the eye in the front. Those wimpy looking bumpers are pretty tough!

flcracker 03-12-2014 06:54 AM

Got the stockers off of my '92 but again, shipping from SW Florida???

whiskeywiz 03-12-2014 07:56 AM

I have em laying on the floor right now. I refuse to put anything with "ette's" in the name back on my jeep. PM me if you want to work out a deal. Can't see it being cost effective for you with shipping fees and all. :confused: You'll have to paint them.

CJ5_Fan 03-12-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old4X (Post 21163625)
You can usually find them on craigslist for 25 bucks a set.

I like them as they were on the first Jeeps and serve a purpose for parking nose to tail in tight quarters

As a historical tid-bit, bumperettes were on jeeps originally to stop jack-knifing of trailers by acting as a turn-radius stop that would 'give' if encountered........

Old4X 03-12-2014 02:51 PM

Ever seen Jeeps loaded on a ship or landing craft? The Bumperetts allow tight packing. Not every jeep had a hitch. ;)

OldSchoolRodz 03-12-2014 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anticanman (Post 21165369)
Huh huh huh. Uh huh huh. You said butt.
On topic: a proper bumper will not only protrude enoug to protect the rest of your jeep from damage but also have some crush zones to take an impact.
Plan wisely.

I got an answer for that... I put ha huge heavy class 3 bumper hitch on my Heep, with a looong dropped hitch bar and ball. The next feller or fem that rear-ends me is gonna get skewered long before they make contact with my spare!

I don't even have anything to tow... does that make me a mean person???:teehee:

The time now is 11:42 AM.