bumper bolts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > bumper bolts

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 04-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
boatsandhose
1990 YJ Wrangler 

bumper bolts

So the stock rusty tow hooks had sheared off long ago and I am in the process of putting on my metalcloak bumper. Both bolts are sheared. If I drill them out, how do I make new threads in that welded nut?

forumrunner_20130403_190231.jpg

forumrunner_20130403_190250.jpg

forumrunner_20130403_190307.jpg

Unread 04-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would just knock it through and put in new nuts. You just need to tack weld it in place to hold it long enough to get the bolts started. For that matter you could glue it in.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
boatsandhose
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I would just knock it through and put in new nuts. You just need to tack weld it in place to hold it long enough to get the bolts started. For that matter you could glue it in.
Ok yeah that makes sense now. Should I just replace the torx bolts on bottom with hex? Thanks.
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, replace all of the bolts with hex grade 8 and you will be good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.