Which bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Which bumper

Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-11-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
My03tj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Which bumper

So I have tube bumpers on my yj right now and I have a heavy and I mean heavy steel bumper for the front of it sitting in my garage. My question is is there any benefit to swapping the front. I know its adding weight, but I don't know if I should. Any ideas?

My03tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

What's wrong with what you've got now?

I've read (no first-hand experience) that commercial tube bumpers are usually very thin and deform easily, thus are not worth putting on a offroaded Jeep. In that case, pull 'em off, paint and sell them. But if they're good strong pieces, and you like the look, keep it.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
My03tj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing is wrong with what I have now, but I figure if I have a better one I would put it on. My only issue is this thing weighs like 70 pounds and I don't know if it is worth it losing the mpg.
My03tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 01:54 AM   #4
Gally99
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Somebody backed into my YJ a while back and bent his bumper and trailer hitch, while my tube bumper just got a small dent. So my tubes are plenty strong. That said, I think they're ugly as hell and I would gladly trade them out for just about anything else, regardless of weight.
Curvy bumpers on a vehicle that is completely devoid of curves are weird.
Gally99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 05:15 AM   #5
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

my frony bumper on my jeep i bet is close to or just over 150lb with my winch on it. I know it takes 2 ppl to pick it up and put it on my jeep!!

And if it was me, the first thing i would have done was get rid of the tube bumper!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.