Bump, then misses. Please help a fellow jeeper out. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bump, then misses. Please help a fellow jeeper out.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
Steck
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Bump, then misses. Please help a fellow jeeper out.

My problem started about two weeks ago. Didnt notice at first how it started,just started missing. Ive replaced the plugs,wires,cap/rotor,checked for vacuum leaks, replaced the coil and the connector at the coil. just when I think I have it fixed it starts doing it again. Missing and the Tach jumping around like crazy. Evertime it actually quits it starts right back up and it can be missing like crazy in gear and as soon as i put it in nuetral it clears right up most of the time but not all the time. Today, when I thought i had it fixed again, I took it on the highway and would run smooth till I hit a bump, then miss and come out of it till i hit the next bump and the same thing all over again. As crazy as the Tach gets, im thinking electrical, Loose wire maybe? I forgot to mention that I also changed the fuel pump and filter. I dont know where else to look. Please help! I also forgot to mention that it is a carbed 4.2 litre automatic in a 87 yj.

Last edited by Steck; 08-28-2012 at 05:07 PM..
Steck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think youanswered your own question Miring but which one is it. I would make a list of the previous work and start there and then list all the other wires in the order of easiest to rule meaning they are readily accessable. I have not experienced what your YJ has so BUMP!
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Steck
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Jokerchief! This problem just makes me want to say GRRRRR!, and some other stuff. Thanks for your input of being on the right track, I ill keep looking and will post what I find out wrong with it, if I ever do that is. lol
Unread 08-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would say its your coil. Does the new one have a warranty? If so I would trade it for a new one.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
Steck
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks youngjeepr, I will for sure give a different one a try!
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
Costacos81

Steck, I am having a similar problem where my jeep is missing and tach is going crazy...did u find a solution? Any feedback would be helpful!!
Costacos81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 03:25 AM   #7
skl4jesus

Similar Problem

My son had a similar problem with his jeep. He finally found the solution. It was a short in the clockspring. You can easily test this by pulling the horn relay. If the problem stops then you know it is the clockspring. This is an expensive part, but my son left the relay out and straight wired a new horn. Hope that helps.
skl4jesus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.