Bump Steer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bump Steer?

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 01-24-2002, 07:16 PM   #1
Trucidus Sum

Bump Steer?

What is Bump Steer? I hear everyone talking about it...but I dont know what your refering to...

Trucidus Sum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2002, 07:29 PM   #2
JeeperJay

From what I gather it occours when your steering linkage is out of alignment due to a lift kit or bent drag link. This causes a push and pull effect in your linkage when your suspension moves up and down, causing the wheels to turn slightly whenever you hit a bump. A lift causes the drag link to go out of paralell with the tie rod. The only way i know to correct it is to replace the pitman arm with a longer or "dropped" pitman arm. A bent drag like will cause the same problem but its usually less noticable.
Unread 01-24-2002, 07:33 PM   #3
JeeperJay

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new at this
Unread 01-24-2002, 10:13 PM   #4
RodeoRob

simply put? bump steer is when the wheels steer themselves without you turning the steering wheel.

what causes it? the tie rod out of alignment (ie, lots o lift). If the tie rod doesn't travel on the same arc as the front suspension, you'll suffer from bump steer.

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2002, 10:15 PM   #5
RodeoRob

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeperJay:
The only way i know to correct it is to replace the pitman arm with a longer or "dropped" pitman arm.
Drop pitman arms will work in less extreme cases, but if your angles are really steep, a high steer or crossover steering setup is typically done to minimize bump steer.

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.