"Bump Bump Bump" when disengaging clutch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > "Bump Bump Bump" when disengaging clutch

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 06-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
Rob_Feature
1993 YJ Wrangler 

"Bump Bump Bump" when disengaging clutch

I've had clutch issues for the past few years and even had it replaced (which didn't appear to help anything) but here's the issue. I'm not even sure if it's the clutch itself, but am trying to diagnose.

When starting up in 1st gear and slowly releasing the clutch, there's a "bump bump" thumping feeling in the pedal. Sometimes (especially if starting up while turning) I also get a bit of a grinding feeling as well.

Something's not right...any ideas? Does this seem like a familiar clutch issue of some kind? Feel free to ask clarifying questions...not sure how else to describe it...

Rob_Feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
OKwranglerYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would start will all your drivetrain mounts, it is probably your drivers side motor mount.
OKwranglerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Rob_Feature
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That actually seems to make some sense...long ago I swear I could feel the weight (engine?) 'slide' a little when cornering. People told me I was nuts, but I've been driving this car almost 20 years so I trusted my instincts that something was wrong.

Does it make sense I'd feel this in 1st but not once I got past 2nd gear?
Unread 06-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
OKwranglerYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah first gear is the lowest gear so more torque is applied.
OKwranglerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
Rob_Feature
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just a quick reply...I've torn things apart to replace my clutch and found that, indeed, my passenger side motor mount was totally broken off. Good advice here, thanks for the help!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.