Built not bought = Need Head examined? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Built not bought = Need Head examined?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

View Poll Results: Should I proceed or Bail?
I spent way more than that, what are you whining about wuss? 12 18.75%
Go for it, its only money and its worth it. 48 75.00%
Thats crazy, get your money back and consider yourself lucky. 4 6.25%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 04-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Suprmn
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Built not bought = Need Head examined?

O.K. I did a bad thing and added up what I have spent on my jeep and what I expect to spend and it scared the heck out of me. I bought my jeep for $2500 and thought that I could be where I wanted for $4K to $5K. Then I spent entirely too much time on this site and when the dust settled this is the jeep I started to build.

Began with 1989 YJ with a 258 and 5 speed 146K
Dana 44 with Trac Lok in rear 4.56 everything new
Dana 30 front Alloy USA hub / axle kit with detroit locker 4.56 everything new
warn bumpers F & R
New 8K winch
Factory fan type jeep wheels with 33x10.5x15 BFG AT
full OME 36R suspension / shocks etc. Boomerang shackles, greasable
SYE - Tom Woods drive shafts.
Tilt wheel conversion
Double D custom dash with all new gauges.
New top, new seats, Raptor interior lining.
AX-15 conversion
New exhaust, weber carb
Electric fan conversion.
and more.

My use will be to tow this behind a motorhome, light duty off road, but I want something incredibly reliable to always bring the family home in from an off road trip. I dont like used parts too much as I have been let down in the past so I tend to go overboard and overbilt but I have bought some used to save money where I can.

Here is where it sits and my dilemma. Jeep is untouched sitting in the garage. Some of the items described came on it, but most are sitting in boxes waiting for me to start the build. But, I have $9,205 spent and will be around $13K to $14K when I get done. This is with an engine that is probable getting tired, and body that is decent (no rust), but far from perfect. I am having a complete and total blast figuring out this build, but my butt has puckered at the amount of money I will lose if I ever have to sell this thing. I am considering bailing while I can get some money back. Probably lose $500 or so bucks on selling stuff. Maybe more. But it would be far less than the $6K or $7K that I would lose if I have to sell somewhere after its done. I would hate to do this, but I am not sure if I can stomach the circumstances.

So, what do you think. Am I nuts to go forward? Maybe I just need moral support at this point.

Thanks for the input.

Suprmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If I had 14 grand in mine I would be happy. I'm not about to add everything up. Keeping it all depends on if you have an emotional attachment to it. If not sell it. There are some great deals out there on built rigs. A friend of mine sold his built CJ at the first of the year. He had around $40,000 into it. Sold it for 22k and bought a built buggy for 18k. He came out pretty good in his and my opinions.

If you can sell what you have and buy something built I see nothing wrong with it. The smart money is buying something someone has already built and is needing to get out of.
Unread 04-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The only thing missing would be an engine upgrade! I'd keep it and continue...in the end you'll know what you have and it will be better than new.

I never look at what I spend...It's way to much fun to drive!!!!
Unread 04-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
4x4JB
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Doubt you will ever get your money back out of it. Way I see it is any money I spend is on a vehicle I don't plan to sell ever. With you having 9k in yours. You won't get that for it. Even down here where people think jeeps are made of gold. If I was at the spot you are with what you have in it. I would be thrilled to death. I say keep it and don't add up what you spent haha. Guess you could always sell it and by a Toyota mini van thats awd if you want to have something to show for it and get money back when you sell it. ;-) Build and keep bro!!
4x4JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Sean H
1990 YJ Wrangler 

hobbies aren't investment accounts, they're for fun and enjoyment, how much fun will it bring you and is it worth it? That is the real question.

1990 - YJ, 35's, 4.2, 5 spd, D44's, ARB's
Sean H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
mracoker

I vote keep it. Build and enjoy it. If you build it but can't enjoy it because you keep thinking about the money you have tied up, well you know what will make you happy.

But since you asked, I say keep it!
mracoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

can't believe you have all the parts sitting there and you haven't started yet. as I have to skrimp and save for every part most get put in the day they arrive. To be honest it doesn't sound like your heart is in it.
have you built or restored a vehicle before? its alot of work but nothing beats the feeling of driving something you created. Like most here I'd build it but in the end its your money and your call.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
randomtrailhero
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i just passed the 5k invested mark bought it for 2k its far from done and i know ill never get what ive put into it (time/money) but ill also never sell it. like someone said its a hobby but if your worried about never getting you money back sell it while you can. But if your like me and like the looks girls give you when you rol by without a top on keep it
randomtrailhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
Suprmn
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
can't believe you have all the parts sitting there and you haven't started yet. as I have to skrimp and save for every part most get put in the day they arrive. To be honest it doesn't sound like your heart is in it.
have you built or restored a vehicle before? its alot of work but nothing beats the feeling of driving something you created. Like most here I'd build it but in the end its your money and your call.

Thanks for the great posts and I hope you keep them coming. The first thing that hit me was looking at this like a hobby. Kind of a duh thing but for some reason my head was not in that place and it helps.

To answer, yep, have been working on cars, trucks, boats and motorcycles for about 35 years and I am excited to do this build, however I have young kids and just finished a major house restoration so time has been a minimal commodity. Cleaning up this weekend after the contruction ceased and then I will be able to schedule jeep time.

I like this. --> "nothing beats the feeling of driving something you created".
Unread 04-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Don't know how much I've spent, don't care to get depressed thinking on what else I could have spent it on.

You've got the parts. Build it.
Unread 04-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
Suprmn
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone for the input. I am going to do the build and find a way to lose all of the receipts so I am not tempted to add it up ever again.

This is what I am starting with. I will start a build thread when I get going.
dsc03797.jpg  
Unread 04-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

As much as I like counting the money I have, that is not an acceptable hobby. Build the Jeep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #13
liftedyj91

1991 YJ Wrangler 

ha ha! that alot better than my starting block, im in 17k the last time i added the mods up so i say keep building it, if its not for you, you know. good starting point though
Unread 04-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #14
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Those look like the skyjacker mono linear springs.
Unread 04-21-2012, 01:40 AM   #15
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

*Puts on Dr Phil costume"

Sometimes you have to think in terms of how much enjoyment you're getting out of it as opposed to how much money you're dumping into it. Thats the way I see it anyways. If it doesn't put you and your family's livelihood/future in jeopardy, have fun building up your rig. I'm sure you earned it. I like saving money as much as anyone else, but I dont wanna find myself to be 60 yrs old with a fat bank account and tons of regrets about the things I wish i would have done over the past 3 or 4 decades. Be responsible, but enjoy yourself along the way.

PS: Keep in mind that this is a 28 yr old giving you advice... I just learned to wipe my own butt and tie my own shoes... so don't take anything I have to say to the bank....
stratostix is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.