Building a Jeep ground up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Building a Jeep ground up

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 07-25-2003, 09:58 AM   #1
biohazardbill

Building a Jeep ground up

Ok... here is something i have been pondering. Any views, or opinions appreciated. I bought a 92 Yj and i keep reading and looking into what i want to do etc... new tub, new frame (maybe) lift kit, dana axles etc. Well if i do this i will be left with a whole bunch of parts. I was thinking instead of building up the jeep i have build a new jeep from the ground up. I mean theoretically i will doing it anyway so in doing it this way i can at least know everything is done correctly and new. Then with my existing Jeep keep that to play with. Question is, is this actually a good idea... and if so how would i title such a vehicle so i can use it on the road?

Bill

biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2003, 11:18 AM   #2
Devious
Hobo

2008 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like a plan to me. Most of us would do that if we had the money, time, and space to do it in. I know I would.
Unread 07-25-2003, 11:41 AM   #3
biohazardbill

I read somewhere on here about a guy that builds or has access to good jeep frames... anyone know who that may be... and its not like im rich lol i would still be buying stuff one piece at a time just like for my current jeep
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2003, 12:27 PM   #4
johnny1720
2004 TJ Wrangler 

IMO

BIOHAZADBILL,

That would be the ultimate thing to do is get a good frame and work from the ground up. But IMO you would need some sort of a base or donor jeep. You will find out that you dont want to find every single little part #1, and #2 that you you dont want to pay for every single little part. I am planning on purchasing an additonal 91 or newer jeep to do just that build from the ground up.

what ever you choose good luck and it will be fun. Jeeps are fairly simple to work on all you need is a lot of ambition. And the abilty to read and comphrend.
LOD Swing Away Tire Carrier
B&M Short Throw, Rear Alloy USA Axle Shafts
33x10.5x15 BFG AT's
johnny1720 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2003, 04:13 PM   #5
socalchef

you title the frame...so if you find a good condition old frame you can build it up with new parts and make it smog exempt..depending on where you live
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Radflo[/COLOR] shocks and coilovers, [COLOR="Red"]Superior[/COLOR] d30 shafts and Super 88, 36" Iroks, Atlas tc, [url=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497674] [/url]
socalchef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2003, 10:21 PM   #6
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Find a Jeep that has been crunched, burned or otherwise written off by the insurance company.

To build a Jeep from scratch (well, almost) the only parts that you would really want is the frame (maybe for reference when you build your tube frame), the front grill, and parts of the tub. Everything else doesn't really need to work as you would be putting in Dana60 axles, 454ci Chevy power, full-cage tied to (or part of) your frame, racing seats tied to your cage with full 5-point belts .. and so on and so forth
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2003, 10:33 AM   #7
mudflap69

What I did was just take my 92 yj off the road and started stripping it down to the frame. Then started putting it back together with the parts I wanted. It is alot of work and very time consuming project. A place to work and store your parts will become a issue. I have a 22 X 24 garage to work in then I have an 8 X 10 shed to store parts in. It is nice to see things go back together just the way you want them. And another thing.... throw the budget out the window. Here are a few pics of my project and a few parts I made along the way.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~rdocherty/jeep%20pics.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.