Build Thread: Carly Rae - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Build Thread: Carly Rae

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements

Unread 10-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #16
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Go 2.5 and stay out of the issue with pinion angle and driveline vibes because it is more expensive to slve that. 2.5 lift and some 31s will look really good and give you aboveaverage clearance and you will be surprised at what your Jeep will do with a little driving skill.

jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #17
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You should feel right at home using the wire wheels for removing rust. You'll eventually feel ok about cutting the gas tank skid bolts with a cutoff wheel. Just give it time, every jeeper starts hacking sooner or later. Trust me.

Unread 10-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #18
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
every jeeper starts hacking sooner or later. Trust me.
I can attest:

Quote:
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #19
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You should feel right at home using the wire wheels for removing rust. You'll eventually feel ok about cutting the gas tank skid bolts with a cutoff wheel. Just give it time, every jeeper starts hacking sooner or later. Trust me.

I ****ing hated doing mine to get the damn tank to drop... 2am, inclined driveway with a damp towel over the bits I didn't want to have hot metal landing on

Thats what happens when you let your drinking jeep friends convince you to to the 20gal mod
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 05:31 AM   #20
i95yj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
Go 2.5 and stay out of the issue with pinion angle and driveline vibes because it is more expensive to slve that. 2.5 lift and some 31s will look really good and give you aboveaverage clearance and you will be surprised at what your Jeep will do with a little driving skill.
I've got about 2" of body lift right now, and 31s... so I was planning on just pulling out the spacers and installing the 3.5" springs. If the driveline gets out of whack, I'm comfortable shimming the angle up. Thanks for the heads up!

@hurricanerza, anticanman, and carlos14 thanks for the notes on grinding. Definitely feel a lot more comfortable going a little crazy down there.
i95yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #21
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by i95yj View Post
I've got about 2" of body lift right now, and 31s... so I was planning on just pulling out the spacers and installing the 3.5" springs. If the driveline gets out of whack, I'm comfortable shimming the angle up. Thanks for the heads up!

@hurricanerza, anticanman, and carlos14 thanks for the notes on grinding. Definitely feel a lot more comfortable going a little crazy down there.
Well it is likely that you'll have to grind a couple bolts but never a big deal. I only had to cut out two bolts from the entire thing when I did my lift. Others don't have to do any. One note on drive line angles , if you go 3.5 then get the shims as well as a tcase drop unless you want to go ahead and do SYE and CV. My superlift springs came with the shims already for the rear.

Quote:
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Unread 10-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #22
sdoherty
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Do the engine lift engine mounts eliminate the need for the tcase drop - is it one or the other?
sdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #23
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Trust me. It will get out of hand. Read my swap pages

Keep the Jeep, lose the name

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #24
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxi4evr View Post
yeah everyone is going to tell you to remove the sway bar completely but its up to you. if you don't i wouldn't worry about that bushing. the only downside to no swaybar is a little bit of body roll around corners but if you plan on getting a rough country lift like you said above, their springs are stiff enough to where you won't even notice it. (based on personal experience)

also 800 rpm at idle sounds about right...
X2, didn't notice any difference in body roll at all. And I would drive around corners fast enough to make a tire say something about my driving.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #25
i95yj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'll get back with updates tomorrow. I'm really struggling to find all the parts online that I need to fix my lift- specifically a source for new shackle + spring bolts and the transfer case drop. I've picked shocks, springs, bushings, and u-bolts... worried about not having all the components here once I start since my other daily-driver option is my motorcycle... Also, I'm trying to buy 'rangs from besrk but paypal is giving me the run around saying I need to wait 3 business days to send money with my credit card Not my night right now.
Unread 10-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #26
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Oh it only gets better I have been going 10 months on my build and finally I am not best friends with the Brown Santa and Fed Girl. They both love the jeep and can remember what months I bought what. Tracking all the parts while in shippment can be a challenge so be organized. If you have problems finding anything jump on here if it can be found sommeone has link or advice where to get what. Its been great here with all the reading and advice. This site helped me build mine from the start.
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #27
i95yj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying not to get discouraged... but I'm impressed that both the chilton and the haynes books don't give specs for the bolts I'm looking for and if I've got to cut mine to find out I'm down a daily driver until I get the new ones. It'll get figured out!
Unread 10-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #28
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'll get back with updates tomorrow. I'm really struggling to find all the parts online that I need to fix my lift- specifically a source for new shackle + spring bolts and the transfer case drop. I've picked shocks, springs, bushings, and u-bolts... worried about not having all the components here once I start since my other daily-driver option is my motorcycle... Also, I'm trying to buy 'rangs from besrk but paypal is giving me the run around saying I need to wait 3 business days to send money with my credit card Not my night right now.
Search around the classifieds on here for a tcase drop. That's where I got mine.

Quote:
Unread 10-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #29
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Home depot has them. Make sure you get the grade 8 ones... should all be around 4.5'' (any shorter and they didn't work on mine...)
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #30
i95yj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Right on! Most of the components are en route, we'll see where I stand next week. In the mean time, soaking the bolts for the tank skid and the shocks because I know I can swap those out painlessly. I'm also going to investigate the 15->20 tank mod and see if the PO had it done.

When I re-do the springs I also want to pull out the BL... this is the front:

and the rear

Will do some research on how to properly pull it and get back to the stock body spacing. 3.5" springs and 1/2" of shackle will be plenty for my 31s.

That bracket up front is welded on, so I assume I'll be cutting it off with ye ol' angle grinder... sweet!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.