Build plan questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Build plan questions

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 04-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
odss91b
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so after much reading on here is what I have come up with and I have questions about it. First I mainly use my yj as a dd but like to do some weekend wheeling no major rock crawling mainly trails and if there is a rock or two go over them. I want 33's because I want it to still handle well on the road and as I have read 35's only would give 1 inch more clearance. To fit the 33's I need to lift it. So being very strapped for cash thought about an RC 4 inch lift. Then read I think Sparrows build thread doing I believe 2.5 springs, 1.5 shackles and 1 inch bl. I thought that sounded good keep a lower center of gravity. Then I read about bastard pack add a leaf from an s10 blazer and the f150 shocks which seems like the cheapest way to go. If I were to do the last option what else would I need leafs, shocks, possibly relocate brake lines and would that be cheaper than the $450 RC lift kit. I know you get what you pay for but I can't justify 1,000 or whatever on my jeep. Also I just read on wrangler forum that the stock yj axle for the 94 has4.10 gears in it is that correct? If it is would I need to regear for the 33's?

odss91b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:20 AM   #2
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by odss91b View Post
Ok so after much reading on here is what I have come up with and I have questions about it. First I mainly use my yj as a dd but like to do some weekend wheeling no major rock crawling mainly trails and if there is a rock or two go over them. I want 33's because I want it to still handle well on the road and as I have read 35's only would give 1 inch more clearance. To fit the 33's I need to lift it. So being very strapped for cash thought about an RC 4 inch lift. Then read I think Sparrows build thread doing I believe 2.5 springs, 1.5 shackles and 1 inch bl. I thought that sounded good keep a lower center of gravity. Then I read about bastard pack add a leaf from an s10 blazer and the f150 shocks which seems like the cheapest way to go. If I were to do the last option what else would I need leafs, shocks, possibly relocate brake lines and would that be cheaper than the $450 RC lift kit. I know you get what you pay for but I can't justify 1,000 or whatever on my jeep. Also I just read on wrangler forum that the stock yj axle for the 94 has4.10 gears in it is that correct? If it is would I need to regear for the 33's?
Holy crap bud you're a mess lol.
First off, thanks for reading my build
Second, I have 2.5 OME springs and 1/2" lift shackles (not 1.5"). And I currently have a 2" body lift but that is going away.

Kudos on doing a bit of reading around here and asking questions. That's how I've learned a lot of what I know. Keep doing that!

That said, what's your budget? If you want to comfortably run 33s you're going to have to spend some money. The 33s will set you back $1,000 easy, not to mention the lift. If I was you, I would get a set of OME 36rs and some BERSK booms, the tires, and depending on what it looks like, trim up your rear wheel wells to TJ size, and call it good. You'll have plenty of room with the OME springs for the 33s, and they'll offer you the best ride.

If this is mainly your DD, it's even more reason to not go with a crap brand or other cheap lifts. You'll pay for it every minute you have to sit in the drivers seat.

As far as gearing, it all depends on what package your YJ came with, what motor/trans combo you have. I didn't check your profile so I'm not sure what you're running. Unless you have really low (numerically) gears, you should be fine pushing the 33s.

Careful though, it snowballs really fast lol.
Good luck.

Cheers

Edit: I just checked your profile. I'm 99% sure you're correct that you have 4.10 gears behind your 2.5L. You'll have to wait and get a response from the 2.5L crowd about power pushing the 33s on stock gearing. I'm not quite sure myself. What I do know is, if you're scared of spending money, or don't have a lot to spend, regearing is waaaaaaay out of the question.

Another option you have is to go with a little less lift and 31"/32" tires. Power will be less of a problem and it should serve you well as a DD and occasional trail rig.

My .02
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
odss91b
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sparrows thanks for the reply. I love your jeep. I knew the shackle size was wrong as soon as I posted it. LOL. I don't really have a budget mainly because I haven't figured it out yet. I dont really have more than 500-700 to spend on the lift. I know the tires are going to be expensive so I'm on CL looking for used tires.
odss91b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by odss91b View Post
Sparrows thanks for the reply. I love your jeep. I knew the shackle size was wrong as soon as I posted it. LOL. I don't really have a budget mainly because I haven't figured it out yet. I dont really have more than 500-700 to spend on the lift. I know the tires are going to be expensive so I'm on CL looking for used tires.
You'll be able to piece together an OME lift for around $700.00

4x OME Leaf springs- $400.00
4x BERSK shackles- Cheap (PM him for a quote)
4x- Superlift shocks- $31.99 ea $128.00
4x OME bushings- $87.00
2x Rancho U-bolts- $60.00

That puts you at about $700 right there. Do some better price shopping and you can get it a little cheaper even. Or you can go with a BDS 2" lift for $760 and get 1/2" lift shackles from BERSK and still be really close to your budget.

Don't forget you can order things as you have the cash. Order the leafs one week, shocks another, hardware another, etc, etc, etc.

Good luck!

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.