Budget Junkyard Upgrades. - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Budget Junkyard Upgrades.

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-28-2013, 12:48 AM   #121
Luuca
TYPICAL /F12 HOOLIGAN

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETE-4D
New here,,, reading some of the comments on the fuel tanks,,, I did this modification on mine a few weeks ago 15-gallon to a 20-gallon tank, I had a quarter of a tank and topped the tank off with 14.2 more gallons. Drove over 140 miles before the gauge moved off full. Hers the link for the modification. http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/fuel/15to20gal/
That's cute. Here's the /f12 FAQ mod thread on that subject http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...2-hour-516115/

Posted via my pretentious iPhone.

Unread 01-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #122
Jstout724
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think your avatar is cute. Is that you?
Jstout724 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #123
Luuca
TYPICAL /F12 HOOLIGAN

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstout724
Wrong site. You wana start here http://www.farmersonly.com/

Unread 01-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #124
Loomie
I got this!

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstout724 View Post
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Loomie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #125
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca
Wrong site. You wana start here http://www.farmersonly.com/ Posted via my pretentious iPhone.
I've been seeing that on the television lately.
Lol

DISCLAIMER: YOUR ACTIONS ARE CURRENTLY BEING MONITORED.
AmmitOsiris is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 02:32 AM   #126
Jstout724
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
Wrong site. You wana start here http://www.farmersonly.com/

Maybe I could find a cute farm boy picture to post as my Avatar!!!

Then I could tell people their posts were cute.
Unread 01-05-2014, 02:34 AM   #127
Jstout724
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_loomis View Post
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Was just poking some fun, while trying to bump this thread on Junkyard upgrades. Would like to see some of the latest JY upgrades, Im working on some now that I am going to post soon.

Mwahahaha-huh?
Unread 06-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #128
mooncruiser

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPoot View Post
With so many people having issues with the oem gas tank in regards to the fuel float/gauge, has anyone found a nice solution for this other than taking the plastic cup out? (I'd hate to not be able to get fuel if I'm on an incline.)

Is there a better sending unit I can use that is less likely to screw up? Different tank altogether perhaps?

When I replaced my pump I took a razor knife and trimmed the plastic cup (cut like butter) and now my float can go all the way down to E. No more worrying about running out of gas at 1/4 tank rading.
Unread 07-16-2014, 08:46 AM   #129
deogsxr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I pulled an 8.8, XJ front drive shaft, TJ D30 shafts, and a taurus fan not to long ago. I got lots of work to do lol
deogsxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #130
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubsjeep View Post
136 amp alternator off a Grand Cherokee, late 90's. Replace positive cable fitting with your old one and direct bolt in. Helps to upgrade grounds and battery cables.
I thought I'd add to this. Since I just posted it on another thread.

Que89YJ posted this a few years ago. He was able to restore it from a long dead link. I think he used the DeLorean.

I did it to my '94, and it was a piece of cake. You should just double-check that your Jeep has the same alternator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Dont just repair, make it better:
This is from BC 4x4. I have included the pics in the end. It seems the link for this post was severed and the only way I could get it was the way back machine:
PRELUDE

OK, for some time now, I was wanting to add an electric fan to my beast. I was really wanting to install one of the 91-95 3.8L Taurus dual-speed fans that is all the rage these days. The only problem with this was the 33A continuous draw and 100+A startup draw. So, that meant that the stock 90A alternator would be working its tail off. The only other option that I had, besides the out-of-the-question USD$300+ hi-amp alternator upgrade, was to purchase a decent aftermarket fan that drew only around 10A or so continuous. The problem with this is that these fans are not cheap. So, I went on a mission to find a replacement hi-amp OEM alternator. I read about people looking at 120 amp models and one mention of a 136 amp model but nobody, as far as I know, ever confirmed that any of these would even work on paper. Guess what, for a mere USD$30, I was able to upgrade to a 136 amp alternator with very, very little effort! You say this can't be true. Well folks, it is and I am about to show you!

WHAT YOU HAVE

Here's a photo of my original alternator. Ok, now, I know that the OEM 90 amp alternator(OEM PN:56005685AB) in my 97 TJ was also used in the following:
  • 1997-1998 Dodge Dakota
  • 1991-1998 Jeep Cherokee
  • 1991-1992 Jeep Comanche
  • 1992-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • 1991-1998 Jeep Wrangler
Note: I have only confirmed this entire modification on a 1997 4.0L Jeep Wrangler. I am unsure as to what motor combinations the above vehicles came with in conjunction with this particular 90A alternator. This is an "ON YOUR OWN AND YOUR OWN RISK" type of modification. If your wiring is not up to the task, etc., you could burn your jeep to the ground or injure yourself. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

WHAT YOU NEED

Here's what you're looking for. You are looking for an OEM 136 amp alternator(OEM PN:56027913) that was an option on the following vehicles(I am unsure of what motor combinations, etc. were required):
  • 1997-1998 Dodge B.Series Van
  • 1997-1998 Dodge Dakota
  • 1998 Dodge Durango
  • 1997-1998 Dodge Ram Pickup
  • 1997-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I got mine from a local Jeep yard for USD$30 out of a very clean 98 5.2L Limited that only had 60,000 miles on it when it was wrecked.

Here are the two alts. side by side. The higher amp. alternator is on the left.
I did quite a bit of research and found that the basic mounting dimensions and connections were the same between the two. You can see the physical size difference of the two. As a matter of fact the 136A alternator was 1 kg heavier. The only major difference was the direction of the plastic boot on the back of the alternator and the pulley is a 7 groove vs. my TJ's 6 groove. It was found that there was a 1 mm difference between the pulley diameters, but this is negligible and does not need to be addressed.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO INSTALL

Ok, this mod is not much harder than installing a new alternator. I won't go into the details of changing the alternator, but rather, I will point out the details that must addressed during installation.

The first major difference between the two is the direction of the plastic boot. For ease of installation and clearance, this needs to be changed. By swapping the boots from the Wrangler to the Cherokee alternator, this change is easily accomplished. The boots are keyed (see red arrows) and install over the indicated stud below and locate on the small hole in the case (see green arrow).
The Wrangler boot is on the left and directs the exit of the boot away from the engine.

Details of the plastic boot positioning.
The other very minute detail to be attended to was the "spacer bushing" on the rear ear of the top alternator mount. The Cherokee's alternator's bushing (probably from rolling around on the floor) had been pushed too far inward and needed to be pressed back out. I accomplished this via a vise and large socket. Don't worry about pressing the bushing too far out because the mounting bolt will draw the bushing back tight again. The picture below shows the bushing after I pressed it out of the way:

The spacer bushing.
Finally, I mentioned that the Cherokee's pulley was a 7 groove pulley. If you wanted the extra work, you could simply swap the two alternators' pulleys. However, you do not need to do this. If you bias the belt to the rearward most six grooves, the belt and alternator will align and run just fine. You can see the alternator installed in the pic below with the belt biased towards the back.

Installed and ready to go. Notice how that the front groove on the pulley is unused.
Well, after the install, I tested the bad boy out. Everything seems to work just fine and I can crank the old stereo and run every electronic device in my jeep and hook up the Taurus fan to the battery and nothing even "blinks." Anyway, hopefully, someone will find this article helpful and save a few dollars in the process.
- Tod "Firetoad"

And this thread:
http://www.quadratecforum.com/showpost.php?p=871966
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2015, 10:32 AM   #131
BrutalTim
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
I thought I'd add to this. Since I just posted it on another thread.

Que89YJ posted this a few years ago. He was able to restore it from a long dead link. I think he used the DeLorean.

I did it to my '94, and it was a piece of cake. You should just double-check that your Jeep has the same alternator.
Anyone know if this will work with an 89' 258 with serpentine belt?

Last edited by BrutalTim; 04-10-2015 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: Opps... Just relized this is a sticky thread.
BrutalTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2015, 01:36 PM   #132
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalTim View Post
Anyone know if this will work with an 89' 258 with serpentine belt?
No, different system. For an '89 you need a Chevy type internally regulated alternator. Like a CS130 or CS144.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2015, 05:26 AM   #133
BrutalTim
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancytron View Post

No, different system. For an '89 you need a Chevy type internally regulated alternator. Like a CS130 or CS144.
Got ya Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.