Budget Junkyard Upgrades. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Budget Junkyard Upgrades.

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 10-06-2010, 10:31 AM   #31
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Here's a mod I have never been able to find in the junkyard that will fit right. Sun visors.

The YJ ones are about worthless and don't swing to the side.

Every car has them but the mounting is always so specific that I have not been able to find any to make fit without a major amount of work. Anyone ever have any luck with this?
Good point. I am thinking the same thing here. I also have the issue of the narrow gap left by the visors that don't leave much room for the rear view mirror.

At least it isn't nearly as much as a problem as the JK's visors. When you pull them to the side, they also drop down at an angle.

Quoted from eflightray on RCGroups.com;
"Make something 'fool-proof', and nature will just produce better fools."
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #32
jth0033
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Every time I see one of these at the junkyard I grab it but have yet to figure out a way to use one in a YJ.
check this out...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/p...79/index2.html

the last page shows two people that have installed them. just the other day i saw that someone else had installed one too but i can't remember the thread.
jth0033 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #33
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

TJ or XJ axle shafts.. TJ front DS(you need the yoke off the TC).. man this list could be so much longer... I'm really surprised that this thread is only 2 pages..
Djsthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2010, 10:43 AM   #34
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark299 View Post
It's true, early YJs were available with the 20-gallon plastic tank - my '87 has one. I actually found one on the ground of a U-Pull junk yard a few years ago already pulled out of the '88 YJ next to it, pulled for the sending unit I guess. At the time I didn't know what a score it would have been for someone else since my YJ already had the same tank.

Interestingly, my '87 already had high pressure rubber fuel lines from the factory as well. They had identical markings to the lines in my '95 4.0 XJ.

Great upgrade! I did this years ago when I was walking through a yard and saw a mirror like that in a '90s Park Avenue. One of the most useful mods I've done, especially when the hard top is off. I wired them to come on with the dome lights, but to also work manually with their individual switches, just like they would have worked in the Buick.
I had noticed that the fuel lines were built heavier, but I still decided on replacing them since I was already there.

I am almost half-tempted to pull these tanks anytime I see one. If I can save at least one from the crusher, then that is one more available to us.

Unread 10-06-2010, 10:48 AM   #35
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Axle bump stops from a chevy luv pickup. They are about the same mount as the front one on a YJ but about 3/4" taller.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #36
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Front tow hooks from chevy/gmc pickups have the same mounting hole pattern as a YJ.

not the best picture.

Unread 10-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #37
shadowulf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Front tow hooks from chevy/gmc pickups have the same mounting hole pattern as a YJ.
Nice one, I wondered about those hooks but haven't had a Chev/GMC with those in out local yard for awhile. They came from the mid 80's-90's models?
shadowulf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #38
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowulf View Post
Nice one, I wondered about those hooks but haven't had a Chev/GMC with those in out local yard for awhile. They came from the mid 80's-90's models?
Yes. The holes are the exact right spacing but do need to be drilled bigger because there are threaded in the hooks.

They are perfect for looping on a tow strap.
Unread 10-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #39
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:

not the best picture.

These were on my '88 GMC. I imagine that the were available on the GM 4wd trucks from 88 and up?

I like those much better than the ones on my YJ now. I always seem to get a sleeve or pantleg caught in the YJs hooks. My wife gets mad at me everytime I come in the house with new rips and tears. Then I have to and make up.

Unread 10-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #40
VooDuuChild
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If I remember correctly, stock ZJ pitman arms are the same as three or four inch drop pitmans for Wranglers.
VooDuuChild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 09:09 AM   #41
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Here's a mod I have never been able to find in the junkyard that will fit right. Sun visors.

The YJ ones are about worthless and don't swing to the side.

Every car has them but the mounting is always so specific that I have not been able to find any to make fit without a major amount of work. Anyone ever have any luck with this?
I've never found a visor that will mount right either, has anyone found one?
Unread 10-08-2010, 09:19 AM   #42
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Axle bump stops from a chevy luv pickup. They are about the same mount as the front one on a YJ but about 3/4" taller.
For front or rear? I need to replace all of mine really.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #43
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
For front or rear? I need to replace all of mine really.
I used the rear from the LUV truck to add a little height to my fronts. The rear stops on the YJ are not very tall but I'm sure there's some out there for that too.
Unread 10-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #44
shadowulf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Pick-n-Pull is having one of their 1/3 off sales this weekend.
I'll be going out looking for........... whatever.

I might get a few more ideas for here.

Hmm, lets get that list together, gmc/chevy tow hooks, suburban rear view mirror, s10/s15/jimmy/blazer rear leaf springs for bastard-izing, 95+ cherokee front axle shafts, york a/c compressor for onboard air....
Unread 10-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #45
shadowulf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

A few findings...
Motorcraft makes a york-type compressor but it looks to be a small single cylinder unit. They came on early 80's ford trucks.

found a few of the chevy hooks ( suburbans have a a match set ) but the I found these on a burned out Lincoln Navigator...

They are beefy, cast D-rings

I might go with the hooks for now, but after I get my front bumper built, I might go with these

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.