Budget Junkyard Upgrades. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Budget Junkyard Upgrades.

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #16
blue89wrangler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

4.0 head swap, just be sure not to get a cash for clunkers car

Unread 10-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #17
shadowulf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

jbolty, very nice!! Any mods needed for the latch?
shadowulf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #18
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowulf View Post
^^^ very nice!! Any mods needed for the latch? ^^^
The latch is the best part of that carrier. It's a very simple design and very strong. Just need a place to mount it.

I offset mine away from the tub so the gas cans would fit between.

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #19
BIGHEEP
1988 YJ Wrangler 

A lot of late 90's up GM cars (Grand AM, Camaro, Impala, Sunfire, etc..) have map lights built into the rear veiw mirrors w/ on off switches. All you have to do is install them in place of your old mirror and run them some power and ground. Easy and cheap way to install some trick looking interior lighting.

Build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...igheep-534340/
North East Willy Jeep Organization
www.NEWJO.ORG

Last edited by BIGHEEP; 10-02-2010 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: added picture
BIGHEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #20
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
There is no limit to stuff you can find in a junkyard and make some use of. Springs, hinges, sun visors, lights, switches, relays all in addition to actual parts that fit like alternators and steering parts.

You just have to walk thru the pick-n-pull with a creative eye.
This all sounds familiar! I use to own a '69 Nissan Patrol ten years or so ago. It was almost next to impossible to get parts for these rigs. The junkyards became my best friends for "replacement" parts.

Quoted from eflightray on RCGroups.com;
"Make something 'fool-proof', and nature will just produce better fools."
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #21
skey
1989 YJ Wrangler 

1.) Family roll bar
2.) Bucket seats from a 1998 Chev Cavalier

Pull-a-part is de' bomb
skey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #22
06camarodude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Blower motor upgrade from a '73 Blazer (part # PM102, like $20 at Autozone) really improves the heat output. . .

There's a couple more, but I can't post them now, I'm late getting back to work already. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsapo View Post
"Do not judge, or you too will be judged." Matthew 7:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
That's a pretty decent crawl ratio, tell Matthew congrats. :2thumbsup:
06camarodude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #23
BigBass
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You can always pull of a cj tail gate for a YJ and probably a TJ too. You can always hunt down a new horn with some volume or even an air horn. Im starting to wonder about possibly making a PTO driven winch, maybe even a hydrolic jack.
Unread 10-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #24
jimdavis577
1987 YJ Wrangler 

dont forget the tj flares .... and not so cheap one is for the early yj jeepers is the famous AX15 upgrade ... dont forget if you doing the York oba ... get the Alt brackets from a early AMC that mounts the alt down on the lower right side of the motor ... so you have room for the compressor ..... there is also the GC rear disk conversion for the YJ..... and dont forget the famous ... MC2100 carb upgrade for the early 4.2 jeeps that have been nuttered and goten rid of the POS that comes stock. Another upgrade is the HEI from a chevy inline 6 then swap the drive gear .... from a 360 ci ( i think ?? ) then you have HEI ..... i may have more in the pocket ... ill post later

87 YJ 4.2 nuttered waggy springs and axles SOA , XRC8 winch, OBA, custom cage and sliders ..... building a AMC V8 for it now ... soon very soon !
jimdavis577 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #25
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

I almost forgot! GC and XJ/MJ wheels are a direct fit. Ford Ranger/Bronco II wheels (as well as some ford cars) are I believe a direct fit (I haven't measured the hub size). So if you see a set of these sitting around in a salvage yard, there's a possibility that they will end up on your Jeep if you don't already have a custom set of wheels.

Quoted from eflightray on RCGroups.com;
"Make something 'fool-proof', and nature will just produce better fools."
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #26
ChrisNukemYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What about any wiper motors?
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
ChrisNukemYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #27
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Every time I see one of these at the junkyard I grab it but have yet to figure out a way to use one in a YJ.
00spotlight.jpg

Unread 10-04-2010, 05:10 PM   #28
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGHEEP View Post
A lot of late 90's up GM cars (Grand AM, Camaro, Impala, Sunfire, etc..) have map lights built into the rear veiw mirrors w/ on off switches. All you have to do is install them in place of your old mirror and run them some power and ground. Easy and cheap way to install some trick looking interior lighting.

ooooh good one! That would be very useful when the sound bar is off...

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #29
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
A side note on the Gas tank upgrade.
I was one of the lucky few who already had a 20 gallon plastic tank on my '88 Laredo, but it was cracked. A plastic tank from a '91 and newer YJ is an exact replacement. Something else to add. If anyone is upgrading to EFI, the electric fuel pump will drop right in without any modifications other than upgrading the fuel hoses to that of a high pressure type. Unfortunately though, I cannot tell you what year the electrical connector changed. On a carbed YJ, the electric fuel pump wire (orange) is already ran back to the tank, but it is not used.

It's true, early YJs were available with the 20-gallon plastic tank - my '87 has one. I actually found one on the ground of a U-Pull junk yard a few years ago already pulled out of the '88 YJ next to it, pulled for the sending unit I guess. At the time I didn't know what a score it would have been for someone else since my YJ already had the same tank.

Interestingly, my '87 already had high pressure rubber fuel lines from the factory as well. They had identical markings to the lines in my '95 4.0 XJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGHEEP View Post
Great upgrade! I did this years ago when I was walking through a yard and saw a mirror like that in a '90s Park Avenue. One of the most useful mods I've done, especially when the hard top is off. I wired them to come on with the dome lights, but to also work manually with their individual switches, just like they would have worked in the Buick.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #30
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a mod I have never been able to find in the junkyard that will fit right. Sun visors.

The YJ ones are about worthless and don't swing to the side.

Every car has them but the mounting is always so specific that I have not been able to find any to make fit without a major amount of work. Anyone ever have any luck with this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.