Budget Junkyard Upgrades. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Budget Junkyard Upgrades.

Advance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-01-2010, 02:41 AM   #1
ChrisNukemYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Budget Junkyard Upgrades.

I read this in the TJ forum....

Well, after reading a few other threads I have become more interested in budget junkyard upgrades. What I mean when I say "budget junkyard upgrades" are upgrades like installing a ZJ tie rod into a TJ or using ZJ coils in the front of a TJ. Just wondering some of the things others have come up with to upgrade their TJ's who are trying to save some dough.

I want to know what kinda stuff people can do for there YJ's that will be an upgrade but not cost an arm and a leg.

()_) ()_)-o-)_)
ChrisNukemYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
BJsWrangler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I've got a couple of different ones:

1) 95 brake booster upgrade...although its getting harder to find boosters. You're looking at about $100 for the booster, master cylinder, & proportioning value.

2) Gas tank upgrade....87s and 88s (and maybe 89s) only can with the 15 gallon tank. If you're like me and want to put as much time between gas stops as possible, upgrading to a 91+ 20 gallon tank is a good idea. I'm not sure what they run at junkyards, but its got to be a lot cheaper than the $400 price tag for a new one.

3) Roll cage upgrade....if you have the old sports style rollcage and want to better protect the rear section, then this is a must. I picked up my family style rollcage for $50. I haven't installed it yet, but I'd imagine it is pretty much a bolt on.

Last edited by BJsWrangler; 10-01-2010 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: thought of 3rd upgrade
BJsWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Durango Power Steering box- late 90's Durango with V-8 has a beefier box that bolts right in.

Bastard Pack Add-a-leaf budget lift- get some Dakota 4x4 rear springs or S-10 4x4 rear springs and add the main leaf as an AAL to your existing pack, gains 3-4" of lift.

Electric fan from a Taurus, gives more room for swaps and frees up about 10HP from your belt driven fan.

That is all I can think of at the moment...
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
Roadyy

1994 YJ Wrangler 

E-fan out of a Taurus to get rid of the clutch fan stealing hp.
19lb ford fuel injectors
4.0 TB installed on 2.5L
8.8 rearend out of explorer
Bucket seats out of sunfire,cavalier,etc.

There are several junkyard upgrades for our YJ's. Look at what you want to upgrade then use the search feature to find write-ups on options.
Roadyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
shadowulf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a few I've looked into and I'm planning on doing,

cs144 alternator from 90's caddy (for 90 and earlier yj), SI to CS adapter ( part # ECH EC82) is under $20 from NAPA, upgrade your charging cable to at least #6. (got this)

Heavy duty planetary from a Chevy/Dodge NP241, check to see if this will work for your case
Drive chain and gears from Dodge NP231D, its wider and stronger than the jeep's version

Front driveshaft from a Cherokee to shorten and use as a rear driveshaft once you get your SYE installed.

'95 and later Cherokee front axle shafts with the larger/stronger 297x u-joints, eliminates axle disconnect. (hunting for these now)

Junkyard line lock using a Subaru "hill-holder" brake valve, search forum for more specifics (got it)

York a/c compressor from a 80's volvo for onboard air. Some fitting required. (on my list)

I know there are more, just can't think of them now
shadowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
motodad
1981 CJ7 

high steer knuckles and bigger brake kit for the dana 30 off of a WJ
motodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

e350 master cylinder. locks up my 35s no problem 17.99 from autozone

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJsWrangler View Post
I've got a couple of different ones:

1) 95 brake booster upgrade...although its getting harder to find boosters. You're looking at about $100 for the booster, master cylinder, & proportioning value.

2) Gas tank upgrade....87s and 88s (and maybe 89s) only can with the 15 gallon tank. If you're like me and want to put as much time between gas stops as possible, upgrading to a 91+ 20 gallon tank is a good idea. I'm not sure what they run at junkyards, but its got to be a lot cheaper than the $400 price tag for a new one.

3) Roll cage upgrade....if you have the old sports style rollcage and want to better protect the rear section, then this is a must. I picked up my family style rollcage for $50. I haven't installed it yet, but I'd imagine it is pretty much a bolt on.
A side note on the Gas tank upgrade.
I was one of the lucky few who already had a 20 gallon plastic tank on my '88 Laredo, but it was cracked. A plastic tank from a '91 and newer YJ is an exact replacement. Something else to add. If anyone is upgrading to EFI, the electric fuel pump will drop right in without any modifications other than upgrading the fuel hoses to that of a high pressure type. Unfortunately though, I cannot tell you what year the electrical connector changed. On a carbed YJ, the electric fuel pump wire (orange) is already ran back to the tank, but it is not used.

If you're going auto, an AW4 out of any XJ before 1999 will work with little rewiring. (It would be helpful to have a wiring diagram grom the Great Lakes XJ website). In '99 they added a TCM to communicate with the ECM and the PCM.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #9
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

There is no limit to stuff you can find in a junkyard and make some use of. Springs, hinges, sun visors, lights, switches, relays all in addition to actual parts that fit like alternators and steering parts.

I carry a generic electric fuel pump I got out of some datsun pickup; it will get me off the trail if I need it.

Nissan pathfinder tire carrier.

Any number of cars have rear view mirrors with map lights in the bottom; just run some power to it.

York compressors for OBA.

Some ranger rovers have air suspension and air tanks.

Late model cadillacs have a huge bunch of big relays and 40-60 amp fuses under the hood.

You just have to walk thru the pick-n-pull with a creative eye.

Here's one that popped up the other day. A mobile shower for desert wheeling trips.

RV water pump, a little hose, some wire and a jerry can full of water.

Presto. Instant desert shower.

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #10
jdubsjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

136 amp alternator off a Grand Cherokee, late 90's. Replace positive cable fitting with your old one and direct bolt in. Helps to upgrade grounds and battery cables.
jdubsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #11
Sean H
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I got both my D44's, taurus electric fan, surburban rearview mirror with compass/temp/map lights (with temp sensor and wiring, a couple sets of honda fog lights became under body rock lights and some other odds and ends in the junkyard. Luckily I haven't needed many jeep parts since I have owned my YJ since it was new and have been able to maintain it pretty well.

I do love going to the junkyard though.

1990 - YJ, 35's, 4.2, 5 spd, D44's, ARB's
Sean H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #12
shadowulf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean H View Post
.... surburban rearview mirror with compass/temp/map lights (with temp sensor and wiring, a couple sets of honda fog lights became under body rock lights and some other odds and ends in the junkyard. ....
I was wondering if those mirrors had a remote sensor, hmm.
Had the same idea for rock lights after seeing a grill-less honda at the 'yard.

shadowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #13
Mudtracker
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Do you have any pics of this? How did you mount it?
Mudtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 06:20 AM   #14
GilNewJeeper
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudtracker View Post
Do you have any pics of this? How did you mount it?
Yeah, would love to see a picture too.

Quote:
Front driveshaft from a Cherokee to shorten and use as a rear driveshaft once you get your SYE installed.

GilNewJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 07:54 AM   #15
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.