The Buckit Build....A Life Story - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The Buckit Build....A Life Story

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-11-2010, 06:54 AM   #16
Squamer
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylightsrsquare View Post
not a good idea in PA unless its a trail jeep or you want to put them back on before inspection, they look for sway and track bars here =/
Yeah, they seem to be somewhat strict on those things here. Nothing a good set of disco's can't fix.

Squamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 07:29 AM   #17
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like a lot of fun. Keep us updated on the progress. What are you planning on buying next?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #18
Squamer
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Looks like a lot of fun. Keep us updated on the progress. What are you planning on buying next?
Buy?? I wish I could buy things but I'm a big believer in building over buying. Being broke all of the time usually helps with the motovation to build things.

Some wise man, somewhere said that necessity is the mother of invention....wrong! I say: Want it??...Build it!!
Unread 10-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #19
Squamer
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Rear Shackle Bumper Build

Well a trip to the Kommandant's shop one sunny afternoon, showed the birth of a new shackel bumper for the Buckit. Very sturdy and rugged. Plus now the ability to use my little 4' X 8' Trailer.

Soon, it'll be time to build the front bumper.
Unread 10-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #20
cubalz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That paint looks amazing since you cut and polished it. What products did you use to get it like that? What buffer? I need to do that to the red Jeep I am picking up this Sunday.
2003 Rubicon - 33x12.50x15 GY Duratracs, 15x10 MT Classic Locks, 2" BL, 2" BB, Warn Front Bumper, Garvin ATS Rear Bumper, Body Armor Extreme Rock Rails, Nth Degree Tummy Tucker, Skid Row Engine, LCA and Gas Tank Skid Plates, Teraflex Quick Disco's, Uniden Pro 520xl CB, 3' Firestik Antenna, BW Flat Fender Flares, Tom Woods DS, Currie Rear Adj Arms
cubalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 07:51 AM   #21
Squamer
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubalz View Post
That paint looks amazing since you cut and polished it. What products did you use to get it like that? What buffer? I need to do that to the red Jeep I am picking up this Sunday.
Honestly, I did not go crazy on it. I have been detailing cars professionally for a very long time. One of those trades that I picked up in high school and it has stuck with me ever since. Also, it's a great way to make side money!! (which equates to Jeep money!)

Not for nothing it's actually not that hard to make a red jeep look like that. I say red because it's easy with red, others colors are different stories. The process should go the this. ( this is also a very abridged version.)

-Clean the area very well. Remove debris. Wash again with a 50:1 mix degreaser/water.

-Flatten the area using detailers clay. This smooths the surface by removing raised partilces.

-Wetsand panels lightly paying attention to problem areas. Lightly is the key. More strokes, less pressure. (No jokes......)

-Using a rotary polisher with a course wool pad, cut with a 1500 grade compound. This levels the surface.

-Wash vehicle again to remove abrasive granules.

-Polish with rotary and foam pad and polishing compound.

-Seal with a paint sealant of some sort. I prefer Colinite.

-Top off with a high carnuba paste wax.

Maybe I should do a thread on the whole detailing process and all of the steps it takes to detail a Jeep.....what does everyone think?
Unread 10-13-2010, 09:14 AM   #22
jth0033
1987 YJ Wrangler 

that would be great. i think everyone would enjoy that and then someone could sticky it. i say do it!
jth0033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #23
funshootin1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Why yes, that is tecate , it was on sale. I figured they sponsor the baja 1000 I'll give it a try.lets see the updates ken! start thinkin bout that front bumper and how you want it to look. oh, the pain is very nice in person, its gonna be a shame what will happen to it when you wheel with us.
funshootin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #24
Squamer
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Front bumper soon enough.....

Operation "Turdflinger" must be completed first. Busy day, Komandant.....I will post the progress by Monday afternoon. Tomorrow is a fun filled day of weldtasic grindification!
Unread 10-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #25
Squamer
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So about a week ago I had some devistating developments occur.....on my in to work one morning, my transmission took a dump. No 2nd gear, no 3rd gear, and no reverse. There was alot of grinding and ungodly noises comming from that case. Great, I thought has I started to think about where to get another Ax-5. As much has it pains me to put in another AX-5, my current means do not allow for me to upgrade and convert to an AX-15. Also, rebuilding was out of the question as down time is a major consideration as my Buckit is my current daily driver.

So it's off to the races as the parts gathering commence. In my area the going rate for a salvage yard AX-5 is about $800.00 to $900.00. I looked several places with little to no avail.

After, what felt like several million phone calls, I was able to locate one in a '93 YJ. I went down to take a look. I got to talking to the owner of the salvage yard, explained my situation, and was very impressed by what happened next. I was taken to the back of the yard where there were 3 YJ's in very good condition. Two 4.0L and a 2.5L. So after wheeling and dealing over items and price I walk out the door with:

-An AX-5,
-NP231 Transfer case,
-all clutch items including slave and master cylinders,
-trans mount,
-belly pan/skid plate,
-all bolts and hardware,
-and a complete exhaust system

.....price: $600.00!!! Steal of the day! To top it off...after a good bit of salemanship ( defined as begging and pleading ) I was able to get my hands on a family style roll cage, in the color red to boot for $100.00! All in all it was a good day of shopping.

I hauled all of the items back to the shop and reviewed a game plan for the upcomming week. I figured that the Buckit was already out of service, now would be a good time to get other items up to par. After consulting with a few friends, it was declared that this project (now codenamed operation 'Turdflinger') would move forword over the weekend. The project would be broken into two phases: Phase 1 and Phase 2. Phase 1 would consist of transmission swap, frame repair, and the creation/fabrication of a new skid plate. Phase 2 would focus on the installation of a a 4" lift kit and general repair to the suspention system.

So with that in mind let's get started.

After getting the Buckit on the lift we started removing the belly pan. The typical problems ensued with the nutserts either spinning or bolts being broke off in the frame rails.

The skid plate was pretty much destroyed as two of the mounting holes were pulled through. This was most certinally an issue that needed to be addressed.

It is certin that repairs have been done before.

After the skid was removed and the trans supported, the driveshafts were unbolted and removed. At this time we also noticed that the track bar mount on the axle was completly destroyed. More reason to lose the bar!

I think I might need body bushings......

No need to unbolt anything here........it just pulled right through.

The exhaust system was in need of repair as well. There were several breaks in the piping. The cat and muffler were...well, crap!

The trans and the transfer case have been removed as well as the exhaust system.

The new (un-fubared) trans and transfer case. This was pulled out of a '93 with fuel injection. It appeared that the Trans has been rebuilt recently. The T/C is a NP231 J. Honestly, for $600.00 I'll take the gamble on a rebuilt trans.

....stay tuned. More on the way!
Unread 10-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #26
mylightsrsquare
1988 YJ Wrangler 

wow nice pics and a steal. your exhaust looks like mine minus a few holes and a close hanger holding the cat to the down pipe
Unread 10-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #27
Squamer
1990 YJ Wrangler 

.....on to the installation of the trans.

Giving the flywheel a little freshing up. The clutch that came out was in fairly decent condition and still had alot of life left. However when everything is out and you're in here, replace what you can.

Flywheel going in. Also in regards to the outer edge of flywheel....this is the area that the crank sensor uses to pick up signals. Make sure it is clean and rust free.

Clutch disc and pressure plate going in. (Bouns Points if anyone can tell what is wrong with the above picture, and why it caused us a buttload of problems later.....)

One conversion that I was happy to make was that in the 1990 YJ, it originally came with an internal slave clyinder. I'm not a fan of this setup. I like to have the ability to field service certin componets. This is definitly one of them. The Trans was out of a '93 already setup with an external slave cylinder. The down side was the clutch master cylinder and hydralic lines had to be swapped. The slave clyinders of the 90 and 93 model years are not interchangable. The firewall must be modified....more on that later. One plus side to this conversion is that it replaces the steel hydralic lines with composite lines. More flexible.

Trans and T/C going in.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know what this number is. First number is 3. It is not on the trans that was removed. I beleive that it is a part number. I know that GM uses 8-digit part numbers similar to this. Ideas?
--------------------------------------------------------------

........stay tuned for the skid plate build!
Unread 10-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #28
Squamer
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My 100th post!!!

Sorry, I had to........
Unread 10-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #29
funshootin1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

hand someone else the camera so theres a record of YOU actually doing some work. ha ha, progressing nicely sir. no mention of the flywheel incident? ? hmmm.
funshootin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 11:01 PM   #30
BlackRhino
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like you left the alignment tool in place. That's ok, I forgot to install the rear main seal before I mounted the transmission when I rebuilt the engine

Tags
1990 , build , jeep , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.