So about a week ago I had some devistating developments occur.....on my in to work one morning, my transmission took a dump. No 2nd gear, no 3rd gear, and no reverse. There was alot of grinding and ungodly noises comming from that case. Great, I thought has I started to think about where to get another Ax-5. As much has it pains me to put in another AX-5, my current means do not allow for me to upgrade and convert to an AX-15. Also, rebuilding was out of the question as down time is a major consideration as my Buckit is my current daily driver.
So it's off to the races as the parts gathering commence. In my area the going rate for a salvage yard AX-5 is about $800.00 to $900.00. I looked several places with little to no avail.
After, what felt like several million phone calls, I was able to locate one in a '93 YJ. I went down to take a look. I got to talking to the owner of the salvage yard, explained my situation, and was very impressed by what happened next. I was taken to the back of the yard where there were 3 YJ's in very good condition. Two 4.0L and a 2.5L. So after wheeling and dealing over items and price I walk out the door with:
-NP231 Transfer case,
-all clutch items including slave and master cylinders,
-belly pan/skid plate,
-all bolts and hardware,
-and a complete exhaust system
.....price: $600.00!!! Steal of the day! To top it off...after a good bit of salemanship ( defined as begging and pleading ) I was able to get my hands on a family style roll cage, in the color red to boot for $100.00! All in all it was a good day of shopping.
I hauled all of the items back to the shop and reviewed a game plan for the upcomming week. I figured that the Buckit was already out of service, now would be a good time to get other items up to par. After consulting with a few friends, it was declared that this project (now codenamed operation 'Turdflinger') would move forword over the weekend. The project would be broken into two phases: Phase 1 and Phase 2. Phase 1 would consist of transmission swap, frame repair, and the creation/fabrication of a new skid plate. Phase 2 would focus on the installation of a a 4" lift kit and general repair to the suspention system.
So with that in mind let's get started.
After getting the Buckit on the lift we started removing the belly pan. The typical problems ensued with the nutserts either spinning or bolts being broke off in the frame rails.
The skid plate was pretty much destroyed as two of the mounting holes were pulled through. This was most certinally an issue that needed to be addressed.
It is certin that repairs have been done before.
After the skid was removed and the trans supported, the driveshafts were unbolted and removed. At this time we also noticed that the track bar mount on the axle was completly destroyed. More reason to lose the bar!
I think I might need body bushings......
No need to unbolt anything here........it just pulled right through.
The exhaust system was in need of repair as well. There were several breaks in the piping. The cat and muffler were...well, crap!
The trans and the transfer case have been removed as well as the exhaust system.
The new (un-fubared) trans and transfer case. This was pulled out of a '93 with fuel injection. It appeared that the Trans has been rebuilt recently. The T/C is a NP231 J. Honestly, for $600.00 I'll take the gamble on a rebuilt trans.
....stay tuned. More on the way!