The Buckit Build....A Life Story - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The Buckit Build....A Life Story

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-10-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
Squamer
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The Buckit Build....A Life Story

Well, this is it. I finally got around to posting a build thread of my 1990 YJ...lovingly named Buckit. The name was derived from my friends who said, when I bought the vehicle, "Why would you waste your money on that??!? It looks like a bucket of ****!!" Hence, bucket spelled with an "I" and not an "E".

I had been searching for a YJ for quite some time. All the ones that I had looked at were either too destroyed or had way too many mods that made the price way out of my range. I wanted one that was bone stock so I did not have to go back and 'undo' something that someone had already done. I hate that. Low and behhold I finally found one. I purchased it from a woman on Craigslist in April of 2010.....I stole it for $750.00! I was fighting people at her door for this thing. She had to get rid of it due to the fact that the local police department had cited her for keeping it on the side of the street without registration and stated they would tow it away within 24 hours. When I called her about it she said "it's here! Come and get it! By-the-way....five other people called in the past hour about it, so ya might want to hurry up!!"

So with cash in hand, and my friend driving like a madman, I was able to be second in line for this thing. Luckily for me, the first person (a father and 17 year old daughter) did not purchace it for the reason, and I'm not kidding, his daughter said: It's ugly looking!

So with that, the heep became mine. My buddy and I went a few hours later, picked it up and hauled it to the shop. Below are some pictures from the first few days showing the initial condition and I still use these to benchmark my progress. I hope you enjoy this thread as it grows as Buckit does.

From the curb where we met.

If you look close on the windsheild, you can see the remains of the 'Police Notice: Abandoned Vehicle' sticker.

Loading it up!

First time that I really got to see what I had bought!

Paint is pretty beat.

Chalkly goodness.

This is where the angry gerbils live.

The interior wasn't thhhaaaaaat bad!

More to follow.........

Squamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
MPsoldier
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome find!!! Good vehicle to start from!!! So what are you plans??
MPsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Your "buckit" has a better body than my YJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
Squamer
1990 YJ Wrangler 

....to continue.

Some weird console thing....and the best A/C system ever!

There was alot of mold in the carpet. This Jeep was sitting for about two years before I bought it.

As I stated before...these pictures were from back in April 2010. Some work has taken place since then...I will keep every one up to date. Thanks all.
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
Squamer
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPsoldier View Post
Awesome find!!! Good vehicle to start from!!! So what are you plans??
The usual. Lift, bumpers, winch, lighting and so on to start. I want to get the chasis built strong before I start considering repowerplanting. I already have built the rear bumper with the help of a friend. I have those pictures too...will post later today.
Unread 10-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
MPsoldier
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squamer View Post
The usual. Lift, bumpers, winch, lighting and so on to start. I want to get the chasis built strong before I start considering repowerplanting. I already have built the rear bumper with the help of a friend. I have those pictures too...will post later today.

I want to strip mine down to the frame and rebuid it myself, that will also be the time I do the engine swap. But I have to wait till I get out of the military to do that. But untill then, Its still my DD.
MPsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #7
Squamer
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So about four mounths (now July 2010) had elapsed and I was able to complete cleaning the interior top to bottom. Repairing and upgrading some electonics. Believe it or not, I was able to cut and polish most of the paint back to a shine. It's also amazing how a set of wheels and tires can change the look of a jeep. I picked this set up off of Craigslist for $100. Good deal!

With the minimum standards met, I decided to go wheeling with some friends with the purpose to see what would break, bend, or not function. I figured if it was going to happen, it was going to happen out there in the field.

Anything can be fixed with enough PB Blaster!

Very much dirty!!! It almost blends in with the surroundings!

So all-in-all it was a good first trip out. Nothing noticible was broken and I was able to drive home with no problem. However, the next day was a different story. Closer inspection revealed a leaking power steering hose, an air box full of mud, a power steering pump on the way out, and a broken passenger rear leaf spring. Let the repairs and mods begin!
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ditch the front and rear track bars you will articulate much better. Looks like while the Jeep was sitting for 2 years someone stole 2 of the cylinders from the engine.

Good find, Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nice Jeep!

Btw is that Tecate?
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #10
mylightsrsquare
1988 YJ Wrangler 

wow great price and a good jeep. there is a black 1990 yj for 500 in my area, kinda wish i had the money for a second jeep, here is the link Jeep Wrangler 1990
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:47 PM   #11
mylightsrsquare
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker View Post
Ditch the front and rear track bars you will articulate much better. Looks like while the Jeep was sitting for 2 years someone stole 2 of the cylinders from the engine.

Good find, Dwayne
not a good idea in PA unless its a trail jeep or you want to put them back on before inspection, they look for sway and track bars here =/
Unread 10-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #12
Squamer
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
Nice Jeep!

Btw is that Tecate?
Nope....
Unread 10-11-2010, 12:36 AM   #13
intub8u
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice ride, mate. I like the area you went out to also.

Question about the trac bars, will removing them affect daily driving, or more importantly, freeway driving?
intub8u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 12:41 AM   #14
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have not found their removal to be detrimental to the handling of my rig.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #15
HMFIC

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nice find. Look pretty darn solid. Congratulations!

The soap setting on the pressure washer at car wash does wonders with interior in a YJ. Just avoid the dash and vacume up excess water when done. I use to have do this every summer to get out all the Georgia clay that accumulated during the winter.
HMFIC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1990 , build , jeep , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.