Broken turn signal lever, Need to turn OFF hi-beams - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Broken turn signal lever, Need to turn OFF hi-beams

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!JK Front Axle Truss

Unread 10-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
Tulsachokehold
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Broken turn signal lever, Need to turn OFF hi-beams

ok,so I have a 91 YJ 4.0 . I while back the turn signal lever broke and now the rig is stuck on Hi-beams. I have tried turning it off with a screwdriver but it doesnt seem to want to work. Im not lookin at the rig at the moment, but is there a fuse I can pull or wire I can cut that will turn my hi-beams off and not effect my low-beams?

Tulsachokehold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Down the left side of your steering column (internally, within the housing) is a rod, it goes into the high beam switch which is also on the left side of the column pretty far down, under the dash, but on the tub side of the column. White plastic thing, the rod goes into this switch from above. Look there, you may be able to operate the switch here. I'll look at mine tonight to confirm, but try this first as a fix--it gets dark for you sooner than for me, and you gotta drive home before I do.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2008, 01:32 AM   #3
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Confirmed. The switch itself is white plastic, has a metal rod approx 3/16 dia, round (rusty...) that comes into it from further up the inside of the column. It is directly underneath, and just slightly to the left of center of the steering column, JUST after it goes under the dash. You can push in the top of it with your thumb and click on, click off the highbeams.
Let me know if you can't find it. If I can get outta work while it is still light enough I can take a photo tomorrow evening, but me getting out before dark is sorta rare, until perhaps the weekend.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2008, 05:01 AM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

OR, if you would like to fix the problem, get a new stalk at the dealership for under $20 and tear down the column. Here is a great link on how to fix it.http://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jee...tilt/tilt.html With a wheel puller and lock plate depressor rented from autozone (you get your money back), I had it done in about an hour.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2008, 06:10 AM   #5
Tulsachokehold
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I already tore up the column a year or so ago, so accessing the switch wont be too hard. Also, when I looked at it last night, I saw the white plastic switch he was talking about then noticed the push rod he mentioned and I can grab the head of that with ease and turn the brights on and off at will.
Tulsachokehold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
pitbullguiller
1987 YJ Wrangler 

mine too broke a couple of weeks ago and stuck on high beams... today I was able to place the lever back in the hole and pull it towards the steering wheel and was able to go back to low beams. Is there a part # for the lever?
pitbullguiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
greenerob
2014 JK Wrangler 

Easy fix.

Go to the connecter plug at the head lights. Being that yours is a 91 you can probably remove the wires from the connector and rearrange them so that the hi beam wire is now connected to the low beams.

Rob

1995 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande 4in RC Lift 33" Tires with 73,000 miles. Auto Trans
greenerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2008, 01:19 AM   #8
Mark455SD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Im with Rusty. Do it right the first time.
Mark455SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2008, 05:31 AM   #9
jeepin1995
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i've never broke mine, but i'm surprised at how cheap the turn signal arm feels.....
Unread 12-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #10
Cross
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Please fix it so you can use your blinkers! I hate people that do not have the common courtesy to use there blinkers.
Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2008, 01:38 PM   #11
QuantumYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Its true, the stalk is cheap. But..if you ever need the switch inside the column get ready $$$$.
Unread 12-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #12
mgtsldr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumYJ View Post
Its true, the stalk is cheap. But..if you ever need the switch inside the column get ready $$$$.
Agreed, mine broke on my old jeep and it cost about 120 just for the stupid switch. Is there any way to beef up the blinker lever cause it feels like im just gonna snap the thing everytime I use it,
mgtsldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 07:06 PM   #13
stephenwsmith

hi. my turn signal stalk broke tonite

Hi I have a 91 cherokee and the lever broke, and it does work if I put it loose in there and move it up and down for turning and back and forth for high beams etc.

Where do I get the lever, and do I need to take the whole column apart to replace the lever..

When I hold the stalk in my hand, there is a metal tip (no threads or anything) at the end, and the end looks smooth, when I look in the hole I see a piece of smooth metal it looks like it lines up with, and on the black plastic I can see where it lines up, but it wont stay in, and I think I felt something break when it went last night.

So, what do I do? Also any good places to order the stalk from?

Stephen Smith
stephensmith@att.net
Mastercraft Rubicon Seats (Gray and Red custom) 10/07 New Rear seat same fabric Gray and Red 10/07 New Red Carpeting 10/08 Pioneer Premier BlueTooth, Ipod, etc Radio and JBL Speakers in factory spots 9/07 All the paint redone to bare metal 8/07 Rebuilt Engine (Jasper Engines 4Liter HO) 2005
stephenwsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 07:36 PM   #14
fireshadow
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Mine broke as well. I got a new one at the dealership and was able to remove the stub left in the switch by drilling a very small hole in the stub and using running a small machine screw into the hole and pull the stub strait out.
Unread 03-28-2009, 09:17 PM   #15
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshadow View Post
Mine broke as well. I got a new one at the dealership and was able to remove the stub left in the switch by drilling a very small hole in the stub and using running a small machine screw into the hole and pull the stub strait out.
When mine broke, I used a couple of dentist picks, and got the remains of the stalk out of the turn signal switch. As far as getting the high beam to work, I gave up. There is a plastic piece at the top of the column that attaches to the stalk as well as the top end of the rod. I just don't have enough fingers to hold it in place while I get the column back together, so, just be careful!!

Jerry

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.