Broken Temp Sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Broken Temp Sensor

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 06-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
JohnFM3
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Broken Temp Sensor

Well, here I am again. Working on my YJ since installing the replacement engine. While I was installing the engine, I broke the sensor off in the top of the head.

I have tried using a "easy out" with no success. The easy out just binds an goes sideways.

Has anyone tried progressively drilling it out with a few different size drill bits?

Looking for suggestions as too how extract the broken end with out damaging the head.

John

XJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634588 YJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3322306
JohnFM3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

That is what I would do if I was in your shoes. Start small and then slowly work your way up with larger bits. If you can keep them centered enough, eventually the remainder will be thin enough that it come right out.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
stenyeart

1990 YJ Wrangler 

When I broke mine off, the only type of extractor I could get to work was a spline screw extractor. Here is a link to an example. Order a set because these things are great.

http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Spline-S...crew+extractor
stenyeart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
packdog
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Left hand drill bit

If you are going to drill it out you might want to get a few sizes of "reverse" drill bits. You might get lucky and have it come right out while drilling it.
packdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by packdog View Post
If you are going to drill it out you might want to get a few sizes of "reverse" drill bits. You might get lucky and have it come right out while drilling it.
^^ Good advice
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:13 AM   #6
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I used left handed easyouts. The ones that look spirial and not like a drill bit. I took one that was one size too big and hammered it in just a little. Then I used an old style manual drill and it came right out. You will want a set of taps too or you will break the new one putting it in. It uses 1/4 npt threads. Run the tap on the threads when you get the old one out. When you put the new one in you will notice a line of thread locker at the top(red iirc) just tighten it down until 2 or 3 of those threads are in and then stop. These sensors are thin brass and break really really easy. I went through 4 of them learning these tricks.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
JohnFM3
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hello everyone, thanks for the advice. I plan on digging into this project on Fri. In general it sounds like everyone feels this is a possible DIY repair. In my past, I have never had any luck extracting broken bolts, an have always had to pay a shop to do this.

John
XJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634588 YJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3322306
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It also helps if you have a heat source available. I use a plumbers propane bottle to heat the area and this will break the rust on the threads.
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdewit View Post
It also helps if you have a heat source available. I use a plumbers propane bottle to heat the area and this will break the rust on the threads.
I would be careful using a torch on that area of the engine. Lots of lines in that area that could be melted with a torch.

OP I suck and extracting bolts also but take your time and think logically. Remember this is brass so its soft. Once the top starts to chew up a little and heat up from the extracter it will break the thread locker. It will then spin right out. If I can do it you can do it. Just take your time. Its annoying and a pain but you can do it. Worse case scenario you chew up the thread a little and have to retap it.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 06-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
JohnFM3
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I got very lucky on my second attempt trying to use the easyout. I was able to extract the broken end. Now the new sensor was installed today an I have allowed the engine to idle enough to see a change in the temp gauge. Now I need to get a trip permit an test by driving the wrangler to temp an see how well the cooling system works.

Thanks everyone for your suggestion an motivation. I was really ready to take it to the shop an spend money I really couldn't afford.

John
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #11
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFM3 View Post
I got very lucky on my second attempt trying to use the easyout. I was able to extract the broken end. Now the new sensor was installed today an I have allowed the engine to idle enough to see a change in the temp gauge. Now I need to get a trip permit an test by driving the wrangler to temp an see how well the cooling system works.

Thanks everyone for your suggestion an motivation. I was really ready to take it to the shop an spend money I really couldn't afford.

John
Refer to first quote in my Sig. Thats all the jeep requires. Once it has been reached things will start going your way.

Unread 06-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
JohnFM3
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Refer to first quote in my Sig. Thats all the jeep requires. Once it has been reached things will start going your way.
So true, so true.

So today I drove my jeep for the first time with this Renix engine from a 88 XJ to see how the Temp does. Normally, I sit just a needle thickness above 210. Today, it went up to the mid red line then dropped down to the tic right before the Red line which is 235.

For some reason I recall the Cherokee Renix engine water pump rotating the opposite direction than the YJ H.O. engine water pump. If this is the case, then this would make sense as to why its not cooling the way it should.

Can anyone shed some light on this an the belt routing?

Meanwhile I will be googling to see what I find. My Haynes manual only shows 1 4.0 belt routing for all XJ engines (Renix thru H.O.) an for some reason I thought there was 2 different routings.

John
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:18 AM   #13
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFM3 View Post
So true, so true.

So today I drove my jeep for the first time with this Renix engine from a 88 XJ to see how the Temp does. Normally, I sit just a needle thickness above 210. Today, it went up to the mid red line then dropped down to the tic right before the Red line which is 235.

For some reason I recall the Cherokee Renix engine water pump rotating the opposite direction than the YJ H.O. engine water pump. If this is the case, then this would make sense as to why its not cooling the way it should.

Can anyone shed some light on this an the belt routing?

Meanwhile I will be googling to see what I find. My Haynes manual only shows 1 4.0 belt routing for all XJ engines (Renix thru H.O.) an for some reason I thought there was 2 different routings.

John
Belt routing for a serpentine belt is basically the same on all jeeps.. v belts are different. If you used the pump that was on the XJ motor you swapped in there is less of a chance that its the wrong rotation pump.

If you used an aftermarket temp sender there has been documentation that they read higher on the stock yj gages then the actual temp of the jeep.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #14
JohnFM3
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
Belt routing for a serpentine belt is basically the same on all jeeps.. v belts are different. If you used the pump that was on the XJ motor you swapped in there is less of a chance that its the wrong rotation pump.

If you used an aftermarket temp sender there has been documentation that they read higher on the stock yj gages then the actual temp of the jeep.
Thanks for the info. The sensor I broke is the one that came on the Renix engine an I still have the YJ sensor on the old block. I will try swapping that out an see if that reflects in the guage. I did end up buying a sensor from the local auto parts store which is the one giving me the high readings.

Looks like the T-Stat's for both the Renix an the H.O. at 195 degree.

This engine never ran warm in the Cherokee I pulled it from. So I will try the sensor an see if that changes the out come.

John
Unread 06-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
JohnFM3
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok everyone, I have a dumb question I am almost certain I have the answer too.

Does the temp sensor on the back of the head do anything other than run the gauge?

I swapped the sensor with the old one an drove it this morning, an the temp was more as I would expect. I will be driving it today once its warmer so I can confirm that everything is working the way I would expect. What concerns me is yesterday when the temp jumped all the way in in the 240 range, the engine ran like it was hot. With a bit of a stumble at times. Which makes no sense if the engine was really cooler than the gauge read yesterday.

My only other thought is I have another issue causing a over heating situation. When I cracked the head, I could have messed up the Cat Converter. This engine I put in came from my 88 XJ an I never had any over heating issues with it, even with the Renix cooling system. So I am hesitant to dig into changing the T-Stat or water pump. An the radiator is a new CJ V-8 3 Core Heavy Duty.

I will know more this after noon when I drive it again.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.