Broken rear shock mount - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Broken rear shock mount

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-18-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Broken rear shock mount

So, I was driving a couple of days ago, make a right turn hear a thud in the rear. I rolled down the window and didn't hear anything else. Thought, I must of hit a branch in the road or something since we've recently had a ton of trees go down. Anyhow, this morning I go to pull into the garage at work (graveyard shift) and I notice the left rear shock dangling on the Jeep.

It looks as though the mount has basically sheared in half.

I have an 8.8 sitting in the garage, and tried to explain to the wife that this is the perfect oppurtunity to get the rest of the parts I need to install that puppy and go SOA. I guess you know the answer I got, since I'm posting this.....

Any suggestions for fixing this??? I've got some 2" X 1/4" flat bar, I was thinking I could try butt welding the mount back together and then scabbing on a piece of the 1/4"... Anyone think this would work? I really just don't want to put anything into the D35, moneywise.

timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
Michael_94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would probably just weld it back on. You could plate it if you wanted but if you get good penetration with the weld it should be fine.
Those shock mounts are kind of flimsy anyway. Weld it up and save $$ for the 8.8
flowmaster,15x12 wheels & 35x15 TSLs, sway bar discos, 3.5" leaves SOA + shackles, 2" body lift, JB steering bracket, SYE, M.O.R.E. anti-wrap bar, Bilsteins 5125s up front & BDS Hydros out back, axles in the works
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...y/Image075.jpg
Michael_94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
cosminciortan
1995 YJ Wrangler 

it's quite common. mine broke off just like that. I had it welded. it holds up fine for 1year now.

cosminciortan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks fellas.
Unread 01-19-2008, 05:04 AM   #5
chuckyj95

Ya I brock the lower ones last year and the upper ones a week ago. there are alot of replacment lowers out there mine are M.O.R.E uppers you would have to do some creating

Chuck
2008 Triumph Speedmaster
chuckyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

At least we know who wears the pants in the family.

That fix should work fine, until the 8.8 goes in.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
jaw41272
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I broke mine a while ago and due to a minor fuel leak , when I had it in the shop, I couldn't weld it for safety reasons, so I bolted some flat stock to it and it has worked as a temporary repair, on the road only of course. The other day I ordered a set of CJ lower spring plates, tech at 4wdhardware assured me they will fit, and that they were only approx 1" away from stock location, but when I look at where that stud would be, it viually looks like a smaller distance than that, anyway I ordered the plates for right and left, 15.00 each, waitng for them to come in and then I am gonna relocte my shock mounts.
91 Sahara 4.0l Operation Welcome Home Parade Veh #69
PARADE JEEP MEMBER #1Auto posi-lok equipped, 4" susp. lift
K&N Drop in and loaded with battle scars
www.americaisfull.com
FOR SALE 2005 PT CRUISER CONVERTIBLE
2005 Suzuki DRZ400S For SALE
jaw41272 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
richharr
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I broke mine in the same place while driving to school, I welded it and put a plate on it to reinforce it. hasn't broke yet. On a side note, could you weld a new one to the axle without draining it?
richharr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2008, 07:06 PM   #9
Jesse-James
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I moved mine to the front of the axle and got the M.O.R.E. upper mount relocators at the same time. Allows the same shock to be used for now and when the 8.8 goes in. The tabs for the axle side are very cheap.

Unread 01-19-2008, 07:21 PM   #10
OneLung
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Be a man. Put your foot down and tell her that not only are you going to fix up the Jeep right, but that she's going to go out and get a second job to help you pay for it!
Unread 01-20-2008, 06:55 AM   #11
richharr
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLung
Be a man. Put your foot down and tell her that not only are you going to fix up the Jeep right, but that she's going to go out and get a second job to help you pay for it!
I couldn't find the smiley with a lawyer handing him divorce papers
richharr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2008, 07:20 AM   #12
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richharr
I couldn't find the smiley with a lawyer handing him divorce papers

OR more likely the one showing me with a big black eye
Unread 01-20-2008, 07:50 AM   #13
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Courtesy of Dakuda.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #14
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Got it fixed this morning when I got off work, before it got too awful cold. Butt welded both sides and then ground down the back side and put a piece of 1/4" across it. I cut the 2" wide piece to sort of follow the lines of the mount. Should hold for awhile.
Unread 08-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #15
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw41272 View Post
I broke mine a while ago and due to a minor fuel leak , when I had it in the shop, I couldn't weld it for safety reasons, so I bolted some flat stock to it and it has worked as a temporary repair, on the road only of course. The other day I ordered a set of CJ lower spring plates, tech at 4wdhardware assured me they will fit, and that they were only approx 1" away from stock location, but when I look at where that stud would be, it viually looks like a smaller distance than that, anyway I ordered the plates for right and left, 15.00 each, waitng for them to come in and then I am gonna relocte my shock mounts.
Did the plates work. I have to do the same

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.