Broken rear drive shaft knuckle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Broken rear drive shaft knuckle

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-16-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
rlloyd
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Broken rear drive shaft knuckle

Yesterday I noticed a slight vibration when I would come off the acceleration, but then it would go away quickly. Today it started to squeezing a little on deceleration, especially when downshifting. So I was just driving home and the knuckle on the rear drive shaft broke, and banged around the underside. Then it came off. Here are a few pics. What the **** could this be?

image-347964886.jpg   image-1927100608.jpg   image-794266132.jpg   image-946122169.jpg   image-79326193.jpg  

rlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
LowBudget87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well not trying to be an *** here, but what I see is a failed U-joint that broke and the actual driveshaft knuckle as you call it broke from slapping the ground/undercarriage. The whining that you heard was probably the bearings seizing up in the U-joint cap from lack of maintenance. Like I said not trying to be an *** but a little grease here an there go's miles further than no grease and a dry U-joint. Honestly i am a little anal retentive but I hit every grease fitting no less than once a month on all my vehicles and always grease ever fitting after going offroad after a good undercarriage wash.
LowBudget87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 01:17 AM   #3
rlloyd
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I did just take it off to tighten the pinion nut. And did not think to grease it. Plus I just washed the **** out of the undercarriage after muddin. So just slap a new knuckle and grease her up huh?
Unread 05-16-2013, 01:55 AM   #4
LowBudget87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

honestly that driveshaft looks pretty beat up id look for a good used one on CL or local pull a part. Also from the pictures of the rear housing on your transfer case looks as if the seal is fubar'd if not the housing it's self really cant tell from the pics.
LowBudget87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 04:22 AM   #5
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

i've got a spare shaft with good Ujoints it's 12.5" u-joint to u-joint.
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
rlloyd
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Alright well I'll be out of town the next few days. Bogleparsons - I'll take a look at see what mine measures out to when I get back. I'm hoping its just the knuckle. Should I take that transfer case cover off and inspect that shaft, and replace that seal? I'm hoping the problem originated from the knuckle and not the transfer case. Is there any way to tell?
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Fill in your profile so we know what we are looking at.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.