Broken Pinion Shaft bolt! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Broken Pinion Shaft bolt!

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 11-30-2005, 01:00 AM   #1
skitch21

Broken Pinion Shaft bolt!

HELP! First off, i blew my spider gears up...opening up the case to check them out, i find the screw that holds the pinion mate shaft in is broken inside!! only about a half inch of threaded bolt came out. So now the shaft is stuck in there!!! what do i do? cut the bottom of the pinion shaft and try to expose the nut? is there another way to get the carrier out with out removing the pinion shaft?

thanks

skitch21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2005, 05:14 AM   #2
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Your terminology is very confusing. There is no bolt holding in the pinion shaft. Do you mean the cross pin that holds in the spider gears? That does have a small screw/bolt securing it on a D35.
Unread 11-30-2005, 10:48 AM   #3
skitch21

im sorry, wrote that post a little early in the AM

Yes that is what i mean, the cross shaft that holds the spider gears. the lock screw on that is stuck, broke off about 1/2 inch.
Unread 11-30-2005, 11:22 AM   #4
jeepnguns

are you sure it was suposed to be a bolt I have seen both bolts and roll pins holding in the cross shaft.

sorry I just re-read you post and you said only part of the bolt came Out. about the only thing you can do is pull the carrier drill a small hole in the broken bolt using a drill press and then use an easy out.
Dana 44s Detroits w/ 5.89s
38" Swamper SX
Lots of other random things and dents
jeepnguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2005, 06:54 PM   #5
skitch21

I got it out! Thank god....6 hours later. drill and dremel. thank you. will post pics!
Unread 02-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I've been waiting since 2005 and still no pics ... now dealing with the same situation and any ideas for removing that thing would be nice... anyone?
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 01:13 AM   #7
lobukjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Actually they make a little convenient kit to take care of that pesky bolt.I had that happen to me on a dana 60 with c clip axles.so there was no way to pull the carrier to drill it.But you can throw together a make shift get up to get it out.Sears carries a 1/8" drill bit about 10 inches long.It allows your drill to clear the diff case so you can get a straight shot to the bolt.If you take a same thread size bolt and drill a hole through the center of it,you can use it as a guide to drill a hole in the stuck bolt.Then get a small extractor and twist it out.It's time consuming but you can get it pretty easy.Here's a visual.
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-...actor-kit.html
Unread 02-14-2011, 01:29 AM   #8
TheUnknownOne

It is also wise to take a small ball peen hammer and hit the carrier where the cross shaft pin passes through it. The hammering will cause a shock through the metal. And when trying to twist the pin out, will allow it to pop free without breaking.

If you need to drill to get the pin out, it is best to drill slightly at an angle. you can then slip a small philips head screw driver into the hole you made, and use it as a lever to spin the pin out of the cross shaft.
TheUnknownOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.