Broken into - Broken ignition switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Broken into - Broken ignition switch

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
Ciaran2903
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Broken into - Broken ignition switch

So last night someone broke into (well...opened the door and got in) my 93 YJ
I had to park in a different spot, which happened to be outside. They stole my toolbox, which is fine becuase I bought the cheapest one I could find just to keep in there at all times, knowing it is easy for someone to take stuff out, especially with the top off!!

Anyway, they must have tried to steal the car, and in the process they broke the two plastic knobs that go on either side of the key in the ignition cylinder. Again, not a big deal...but the issue is that the Jeep wasn't starting yesterday - No power at all.
I checked the battery, and it had power, but nothing happened when I turned the key - no ACC, or anything. Battery cables looked good too. Any specific fuses I should look at? I replaced the started the day before that, so I am assuming the two are related? Loose wire between the battery and the starter? I couldn't really check anything too much as I had to park on the street, and buses were flying past every 30 seconds, and I didn't feel too comfortable under the jeep with that happening.

Will the ignition still work without the plastic surround? I assume it will, I just don't want to try and find the electrical problem if the key won't work either way!

Any ideas as to why there was no power? Everything was working great after I installed the new started, then the next morning it had no power.

Thanks

Ciaran2903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
EdgyAsHell
1990 YJ Wrangler 

They probably ended up snapping this little key/bottle opener thing in there. If you snap it, spinning the cylinder doesn't do anything anymore. You are probably going to have to pull the column apart and take a look. Did this job a while back to tighten up my steering wheel and this is the tutorial I used.

http://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jee...tilt/tilt.html

Good luck!
Unread 06-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

I did the same tightening last year, and actually the OP still monitors his email address (I sent a "thank you"). The key cylinder comes out fairly early in the 'rebuild' procedure.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
Ciaran2903
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, thanks guys! I will have to wait until tomorrow to start on anything though
Unread 06-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Double check that they didn't just go under the dash and clip wires trying to hotwire it..
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35, Rock sliders, Monsta Daughter&Dad Project Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 Rock-Trac D44/44 lockers, 4" Currie Lift, 1" BL, 33s, hardtop
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
EdgyAsHell
1990 YJ Wrangler 

BTW, this is the piece I suspect may be broken for you --
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
Ciaran2903
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone for your help!! I bought a new lock cylinder, replaced it today, and she fired right up!! :-)
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
Ciaran2903
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So the jeep just quit on me. I drove it for an hour, turned it off for 1 minute, then went to move it again and when I turned the key, I got dash lights at ACC, then when I went to fire it up, everything died. I lost all power after that - No dash lights (well...I think it is on, but it is extremely faint. I could only see a slight difference as it was nearly dark).

I replaced the started a couple of days ago, and then ignition cylinder yesterday.
I removed the negative battery cable, put it back on, and I got power again, but when trying to fire it up, everything cuts out again, until I replace the negative battery cable.
I am thinking it is to do with the starter, but I am very new at this, so everything I go through is the first time!
Anyone experience this before?
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
Ciaran2903
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So this morning I r tried starting it again. First time - Nothing. So I removed the negative battery cable, put it back on, and it started fine. Turned it off and started it again a few times and it was fine. I am at a loss. I don't want it to happen when I am away from home!
Any ideas what would be causing this?
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran2903 View Post
So this morning I r tried starting it again. First time - Nothing. So I removed the negative battery cable, put it back on, and it started fine. Turned it off and started it again a few times and it was fine. I am at a loss. I don't want it to happen when I am away from home!
Any ideas what would be causing this?
Gremlins.

My daughter's jeep had similar issues. If the ground is dirty, loose, or the cable is corroded under the plastic sleeve, it can cause this issue with the starting. She went a week where she would open the hood, jiggle the ground wire, and start her jeep. When I asked her why she just didnt clean the terminal and secure the cable, she replied, "Anti-theft".
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35, Rock sliders, Monsta Daughter&Dad Project Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 Rock-Trac D44/44 lockers, 4" Currie Lift, 1" BL, 33s, hardtop
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.