broken horn??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > broken horn???

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-07-2002, 07:07 PM   #1
bluYJ

broken horn???

The other day, I went over a bump (no big deal), and my horn started beeping non-stop. I pulled the connector to stop it (wouldn't you know, it was pouring down rain, so I didn't worry about it until the next day). When I hooked everything back the next day, the horn wouldn't work at all. I got another horn, but that didn't do anything. I checked the wiring in the engine compartment (for the horn of course). Anyone have any ideas before I take the steering column apart---ughhhhh.

33" BFG Muds, 4:88 gears, Detroit's front and rear, Dana 44 rear axle with disc brakes, heavy duty Dodge NP231,SYE, MORE sport cage. [COLOR=blue]Blue Jeep Club Member #61[/COLOR]
bluYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2002, 09:09 AM   #2
Scorpionmk1

NO don't take the stearing colum apart.. check your FUSE, then Check the Re-lay.., if that does not work it's possible that the wiror lead that grounds out the circut that goes into your stearing wheel fell off.. in witch cans you can pop off the horn cover and reconect it..

Erik
94 Sahara on 33's
86 CJ w/ Chev 35 Ford 9''(35-15.5-15) Super Swampers
79 Cj 33's 304 V
Scorpionmk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2002, 12:05 PM   #3
JeeperJay

Its probably a combination of both the relay and the wire lead. My guess is the wire was grounding out on something for some reason and caused the relay to send power to the horn even when you disconnect the horn at the connecter. Over time the relay probably wore out, now the new horn isn't working. If it is the relay or a fuse, make sure you fix the wire lead or you may end up blowing it up again.
Unread 05-08-2002, 01:02 PM   #4
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My horn only works when it wants to.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2002, 07:36 PM   #5
bluYJ

OK, this may sound stupid, but where is the fuse and relay swith for the horn? It's not one of the fuses in the fuse box under the dash (that was the 1st thing I thought of, but after not finding any fuses or relays for the horn-thats when I started with the new horn and wiring).
33" BFG Muds, 4:88 gears, Detroit's front and rear, Dana 44 rear axle with disc brakes, heavy duty Dodge NP231,SYE, MORE sport cage. [COLOR=blue]Blue Jeep Club Member #61[/COLOR]
Unread 05-09-2002, 07:41 AM   #6
JeeperJay

I'm pretty sure the horn relay is in the relay box under the hood near the battery. If its still working you can ground the wire lead and you should be able to hear the relay click, just track down the clicking sound. If you have your owners manual, you can find it in there too.
Unread 05-09-2002, 12:29 PM   #7
evilpsych

i dont use a horn anymore.. finger only

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2002, 05:41 PM   #8
JeeperJay

I prefer a combination of horn and finger. Use the horn to get thier attention, then bust out the finger
Unread 05-10-2002, 05:17 AM   #9
bluYJ

OK, I seemd to have found what was stopping the horn from working again, it was a blown fuse in the fuse box next to the battery. NOW, I still have the problem that the horn won't turn off (needless to say, I pulled that fuse till I can find out this problem). I checked the outer horn ring on the steering wheel and it seems to be fine. The horn beeps even with that ring completely off. I've alreadt checked for any obvious loose wires. Any other suggestions (other than using fingers, etc...)lol?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.