Broken Heater Box Bolts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Broken Heater Box Bolts

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
aldrichg9
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Broken Heater Box Bolts

While removing the heater box during my current rust repair project I managed to break 2 of the four bolts that hold it to the firewall.

The bolts seems to either be glued or welded to the inside of the heater box cover. Anyone have any experience removing and replacing these bolts without mangling everything?

I put some vice grips on the threads to try to break them loose by turning them but they are so soft I can't get anything to hang on and I am afraid if I get to rowdy with them I will just bend the cover and have leaks.

Thanks,
Greg

aldrichg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
88yjsyd
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hey that happened to me as well, I just did the heater core replacement yesterday. Only 2 of the 4 broke (the one behind the engine on the drivers side and the one to the far left on the passengers side), and the way they broke is the bolts still go through the fire wall just enough to hold it in. So, I lined it back up and just put on the 2 bolts that didnt break. It seems to hold fine, though the air conditioner is there to sort of holding it in as well. Should be fine, best of luck.
-Syd
88yjsyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bolts , box , broken , heater

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.