Broken harmonic balancer on shaft. Need advice can't remove. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Broken harmonic balancer on shaft. Need advice can't remove.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineIron Rock Offroad products - get them from Kolak!TERAFLEX JKU 2.5" Elite LCG Long FlexArm Lift Kit w/

Unread 03-28-2015, 03:23 PM   #1
dvr6
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Broken harmonic balancer on shaft. Need advice can't remove.

93 2.5l....

Harmonic balancer self destructed when trying to pull with a harmonic puller. It's only moved about an 1/8" off.. Broken casting left only parts on the shaft that I can't grab with any kind of puller I know of. No lip at all to grab onto on the left side..

Any advice as to how to remove? If I drop the oil pan can I get to it from behind and tap it off the shaft that way?

20150328_161359-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by dvr6; 03-28-2015 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: spelling
dvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2015, 03:58 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

i would cut the rest off. or take a slide hammer and hook behind it and hit it a few times if it breaks then good.. If it comes out good too..
then take the timing cover off and then you will be able to get a 3 jaw puller to grab the nub and pull it off..
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
pete1991YJ
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would grind the rest of it down smooth and round, then pull the timing cover off the nub. For sure you will need a new seal there. Then drop the pan and use a 3-jaw puller or a slide hammer. You may be able to split the nub lengthwise with a sawzall to relieve some pressure, then it should just slide right off.
Unread 03-28-2015, 04:43 PM   #4
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

That sucks big time.
I said some serious cuss words and I'll try to send you any e-good kharma I have built up.
Unread 03-28-2015, 06:43 PM   #5
dvr6
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Great advise thank you all. Looks like the e-good kharma may be working....

I cut off the excess and then ground it smooth. Was able to get the o.d. down enough so I could get the cover off. Tomorrow I'll try getting a puller behind it. The guard washer that sits between the sprocket and the balancer hub is in the way and the kit did not include a new one; so I don't want to cut that washer off if I don't have to...
Unread 03-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #6
Jeepsr4me

if you have a torch you can put some heat to that piece and it may just slide right off.

You local (ish to me)... If you need help..

If you have a drimel tool you could cut a groove in it at the key way and that will take the pressure off and it will slide off.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2015, 09:22 AM   #7
dvr6
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I was able to get a clam shell gear puller behind it and it came off no problem. No damage to the shaft. Thanks again for the advise and the offer to come over to help.

Great group we have here.....
20150329_100618-small-.jpg   20150329_100918-small-.jpg   20150329_101005-small-.jpg  
Unread 03-29-2015, 10:34 AM   #8
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

glad you got it. there is never a better time to replace that chain and such than now while its apart
The_Goob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2015, 03:06 PM   #9
dvr6
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goob View Post
glad you got it. there is never a better time to replace that chain and such than now while its apart
Replaced all with new and Jeep is back on the road....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.