Broke my Leaf Spring.. Is this a good replacement??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Broke my Leaf Spring.. Is this a good replacement???

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 04-04-2010, 11:42 PM   #1
Bridges31
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Broke my Leaf Spring... FOLLOW UP Question: Post #12

I asked a follow up question on post #12

Just looking for some advice here. First wheeling trip of the season left me with no jeep as I ended up hitting a rock or something with my shackle, causing the driver's side leaf spring to break in half. The mud was good though and I ended up not being able to see out of my windows when I was done

All four leaf springs on the jeep are old anyways. They are all straight with no bend left to them at all. Unfortunately, money is a little tight right now and I can't buy a lift kit so I just have to buy the springs.

My question is, what does everyone think about these? They seem like a decent price Old Man Emu CS014F - Old Man Emu 2.5&...YJ - Quadratec

Also, since im trying to save money, how lop-sided will my jeep look if I replace just the front two springs for now (the back one's are worn out with no bend)? Thanks.

I should add, everything is pretty much stock on the jeep with the exception of a little bit longer shackles and 31" tires.

Thanks!

Last edited by Bridges31; 04-13-2010 at 09:21 AM..
Bridges31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
Barrio
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If moneys tight look into Rough County.

roughcountry.com
-Rio Red 1995 Ford Mustang- Daily Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfmoney
i see theres a bunch of toughguys on this forum or internet gangstas
Barrio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Emu is a good spring, so is rubicon, bds. The emu leafs require emu bushings, which are expensive, unless you are lucky and have bushings of your own that will fit.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 05:26 AM   #4
jeep795
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I think it'd look pretty weird with a 2.5 lift in front and nothing in the back. I broke a few springs here and there and always found a used spring from a friend or online for cheap or free to replace it with, then when money permitted bought all 4 at once.
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
Bridges31
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep795 View Post
I think it'd look pretty weird with a 2.5 lift in front and nothing in the back. I broke a few springs here and there and always found a used spring from a friend or online for cheap or free to replace it with, then when money permitted bought all 4 at once.
I've been looking on craigslist and asking friends but no luck with any cheap springs. Does anyone know if leafs from any another vehicle will fit the YJ?
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #6
Mudtracker
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
The emu leafs require emu bushings
Is this documented somewhere? I used the energy suspension bushings from Q-tec and they seem to work just fine. I've only had them on for a few weeks though.
Mudtracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridges31 View Post
I've been looking on craigslist and asking friends but no luck with any cheap springs. Does anyone know if leafs from any another vehicle will fit the YJ?
There are lots of springs that you could 'make work', but IMO I'd rather go with something specifically made for a YJ. I 'believe' waggy springs will work, but IIRC they are a little long. I know a few guys around here that love to mix and match springs and make them work, but IMO it is more of a guessing game. But if thats what you want to do then you'd just need to get the eye to eye measurements, coupled with the at rest measurements, and then go the the junk yard. But again, you really won't know what the spring rates on the donnor vehicle will be or how they will perform.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #8
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudtracker View Post
Is this documented somewhere? I used the energy suspension bushings from Q-tec and they seem to work just fine. I've only had them on for a few weeks though.
Good info there, I remember I tried bushings other than emu and they did not fit properly. Good to know others do work. The problem is no, not much I know of is really documented on this subject. Thanks for the info.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #9
Mudtracker
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
Good info there, I remember I tried bushings other than emu and they did not fit properly. Good to know others do work. The problem is no, not much I know of is really documented on this subject. Thanks for the info.
Yea when I was researching I couldnt find a whole lot of info on bushings. The thing that confused me the most was the directions that came with the Energy Suspension bushings say "Most spring eyes have an outer metal shell. Some shackles are this way as well. The outer shell must be removed."

But if you remove that the bushing would have about a 1/4" of space all around it. So I skipped that part.
Unread 04-05-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
Mudtracker
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridges31 View Post
Just looking for some advice here. First wheeling trip of the season left me with no jeep as I ended up hitting a rock or something with my shackle, causing the driver's side leaf spring to break in half. The mud was good though and I ended up not being able to see out of my windows when I was done

All four leaf springs on the jeep are old anyways. They are all straight with no bend left to them at all. Unfortunately, money is a little tight right now and I can't buy a lift kit so I just have to buy the springs.

My question is, what does everyone think about these? They seem like a decent price Old Man Emu CS014F - Old Man Emu 2.5" Front Stock-Heavy Load Leaf Spring for 87-95 Jeep® Wrangler YJ - Quadratec

Also, since im trying to save money, how lop-sided will my jeep look if I replace just the front two springs for now (the back one's are worn out with no bend)? Thanks.

I should add, everything is pretty much stock on the jeep with the exception of a little bit longer shackles and 31" tires.

Thanks!
I put 4 of those springs on my Jeep, another thing I couldnt find info about was if that would work or not. So far so good, the only thing I've noticed is that most rear spring packs have 5 leafs and these have 4. Not sure if that might make them more prone to sagging in the future?

Unread 04-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #11
YJ-Jer
1994 YJ Wrangler 

the BDS 2" kit is the same spring, front and rear. 4 leaf I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown
"You know you drive a YJ when you run over a shadow and feel the steering wheel jerk."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJ-Jer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:15 AM   #12
Bridges31
1987 YJ Wrangler 

A follow up question to my OP..

I'm still price shopping. I came across an ad on craigslist for a full set of Rough Country 4" leafs for $200.00

The ad states they have approx. 5,000miles on them and that he took them out to switch back to stock springs for a SOA conversion (he stated that the 4" springs were too tall for his liking when going to SOA).

Would this be worth a shot? What other parts would I need if I were to put 4" leafs all around. I'm guess that I would need a brake line relocation bracket. Are the additional parts I would need be something I could pick up at a local auto parts store?

Sorry for all of these questions.. I've never delt with leaf springs/lifts before and I don't want to get screwed here lol

Thanks for the help
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:26 AM   #13
Mike
oooh you almost had it

yep, brake lines would have to be addressed, as well as shocks, u-bolts (you would want new ones) usually a pitman arm and a transfer case drop or slip yoke eliminator/driveshaft combo. basically all the stuff that comes in a good lift kit. if you where closer i'd hook you up with some stock springs if it would help out.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #14
Bridges31
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudvain View Post
yep, brake lines would have to be addressed, as well as shocks, u-bolts (you would want new ones) usually a pitman arm and a transfer case drop or slip yoke eliminator/driveshaft combo. basically all the stuff that comes in a good lift kit. if you where closer i'd hook you up with some stock springs if it would help out.
Thanks for the offer. So do you think I'm better off just buying the entire kit at one time when I have the money?

Or should I buy these springs off Craigslist and buy the additional items seperatly?
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:43 AM   #15
Mike
oooh you almost had it

well, starting from $200 (price of springs) and adding shocks and a steering stab thats about an additional $150 if you stick to RC's brand. the RC 4" kit complete is $449 before Ryan gives you a JF member discount and, your good to go warranty wise if you need replacement springs. either way, you could save money piecing the parts together doing a little searching or buying a complete kit, its just how much time you want to invest doing it i guess is what it comes down to. i think buying a complete kit might save some headaches in the end.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.