Broke down on the trial...bad - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Broke down on the trial...bad

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 10-31-2006, 09:02 PM   #1
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Broke down on the trial...bad

alright, Im not going to lie, I was beating the crap out of my jeep all afternoon, and finally, while doing donuts, something in my drivetrain broke. it did not make a loud noise, it just suddenly revved, and woundnt move. I dont know if its my pressure plate, transmission or transfer case (read my sig). but even if I have the clutch out, I can shift the gears in my transmission, and it does nothing, no grinding or anything, I think it does grind a little when I try and put it in reverse though, so that makes me think its the transmission. but I mean an SM465 is pretty hard to break, and it was not even under that hard of load, I was doing donuts in dirt! and prior to that I put it under a lot of load getting up rocky hills. none of the driveshafts move no matter what gear the t-case is in, so its not my driveshaft or axles.

So it was quite an adventure towing it back down the trail 3 miles, not to mention my buddies jeep couldnt pull it up a few of the hills, so we had to spend half an hr winching it up each hill. it was quite a nightmare. but I'm proud of myself, I got my first good body damage, I wasnt paying attention trying to get over a rock, and ran into a tree and pushed in my right fender, then ripped half the plastic fender off on another tree. it was a fun afternoon.

Any idea what may have gone wrong? I am going to take out the trans this weekend I guess. any help is appriciated thanks

TJ

Ask me about my 4BT Cummins Motor Mounts!!
youngjeeper11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2006, 10:47 PM   #2
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like the tranny....

possibly a broken input shaft?
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2006, 11:10 PM   #3
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you future plans are MUCH closer!
Unread 11-01-2006, 09:14 AM   #4
jimaug87
2005 TJ Wrangler 

its your clutch. if u can shift it without clutching (and without power shifting) means your transmission is not engaged at all. same thing happened to my buddy in a mud hole. his tires stopped spinning, and that was that. it could be your input shaft but my money is on the clutch.
jimaug87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2006, 09:21 AM   #5
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

i vote input shaft, my jeep did the same thing only going 75 on the freeway

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'rouke
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Itís a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
tuckinauster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2006, 10:00 AM   #6
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would think that if the clutch is still functioning it would be spinning the input shaft. That would make a hell of a racket given that the 465 has a gear-reduction first and 4th. slips pins across the entire shaft to lock it together giving it the 1:1 ratio. It sounds like the shaft in the transmission is NOT spinning at all as a result - so I'm going to vote for clutch.
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2006, 08:26 PM   #7
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

yea!! thats what I figured too, I figured if the input shaft was broken it would make a lot of noise, and the shifter would act funny. And I was going through mud holes......I am hoping its the clutch because it has a lifetime warranty, which means I get another one for free! I have to get a transmission jack, pulling that SM465 out from under there with only a floor jack wasnt a good idea last time....haha I think I may get a centerforce clutch instead though this time. So what can I do to keep mud out of my clutch?

Unread 11-01-2006, 11:08 PM   #8
toke
I_R_Food

1995 YJ Wrangler 

did you check the air in the tires?

2001 Grand RIP

2004 Rubicon RIP
toke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2006, 10:08 AM   #9
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

stay out of Puddles?
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2006, 10:10 AM   #10
BigJeepJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeeper11
alright, Im not going to lie, I was beating the crap out of my jeep all afternoon, and finally, while doing donuts, something in my drivetrain broke.
And you wonder what went wrong?

[URL="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v516/JeepJay/"]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v516/JeepJay/[/URL]

TJ Stretch Thread...

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348220&page=3"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348220&page=3[/URL]
BigJeepJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2006, 10:27 AM   #11
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJeepJay
And you wonder what went wrong?
X2 way to tread lightly.

But I HIGHLY doubt it would be the SM465 the ax-5 might have blown though ... I would pull the inspection cover for the clutch.
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #12
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeeper11
yea!! thats what I figured too, I figured if the input shaft was broken it would make a lot of noise, and the shifter would act funny.

I vote for the shaft. My shaft busted on my '96 Ram, no noise at all, everything else seemed fine, but the truck wouldn't move. Either way you gotta pull it, so you'll know then.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2006, 01:46 PM   #13
Brown Dog
Vendor

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Where do I begin????????????

Any massive oil or fluid leakage when this abuse occurred?

If your engine is revving, you might have broken a motor mount or more likely a bracket.

If you put it in 4wd, will it move (this would indicate a broken transfer case shaft)?

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2006, 02:23 PM   #14
jeepnguns

It sounds like a blown clutch disc. here is what mine looked like when I blew one up a few years ago (I-6 and the pug-crap tranny). All the rivets to the center hub sheared and the jeep was dead.

Dana 44s Detroits w/ 5.89s
38" Swamper SX
Lots of other random things and dents
jeepnguns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2006, 07:56 AM   #15
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

ugh. I found the problem. I took the transfer case off, and noticed my transmission output shaft was totally tourqued and snapped in half right between the transfer case and the transmission. This was a shaft I bought with an adapter to adapt the NP 231 transfer case to the SM465 transmission. from Novak. it was like a $200 shaft! Novak is going to get a very very angry phone call this afternoon. That shaft was suppose to be like indestructable, I thought my T-case would break before that shaft. this sucks.

TJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.