breaks breaks and E-brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > breaks breaks and E-brakes

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 11-27-2003, 06:48 AM   #1
YJXtreme

breaks breaks and E-brakes

Ok I just bought my YJ a week ago and one thing that I have just began to notice is my parking break is not doing its job at all. It will work for flat ground but my driceway is a pretty steep one and I found my Jeep in the middle of the street this morning.!!!

So then I started to put it in 4x4 and then it would stay. but tonight it seemed to not want to stay still again. every once in awhile it would jerk a lil and it would move?? this just isn't right.

So anyway I was wondering if this is a envios YJ thing? And what are the ways to trouble shoot this break problem? I have worked with drum breaks once before but never wanted to touch them again. I love my Disks too much on my car.

so please help a Jeeper in need. I'm afraid to park on a hill. Thank God I don't live in SF.

YJXtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2003, 06:56 AM   #2
drew2000
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'd say the reason it stays put in 4WD is because in order to roll it has to overcome the load on the transfer case and transmission, which in turn has to overcome the load of the engine.

You want to adjust the drums through the starwheel adjuster, which you can get to through the backing plate without actually removing the drum.

Jack up the jeep,. Useing a drum brake spoon, turn the starwheel a few clicks at a time. Your breaks will be adjusted when you just barely feel resistance when turning the wheel (brakes not applied).

Hope this made sense.

Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJXtreme
Ok I just bought my YJ a week ago and one thing that I have just began to notice is my parking break is not doing its job at all. It will work for flat ground but my driceway is a pretty steep one and I found my Jeep in the middle of the street this morning.!!!

So then I started to put it in 4x4 and then it would stay. but tonight it seemed to not want to stay still again. every once in awhile it would jerk a lil and it would move?? this just isn't right.

So anyway I was wondering if this is a envios YJ thing? And what are the ways to trouble shoot this break problem? I have worked with drum breaks once before but never wanted to touch them again. I love my Disks too much on my car.

so please help a Jeeper in need. I'm afraid to park on a hill. Thank God I don't live in SF.
drew2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2003, 07:11 AM   #3
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

There was a recall on certain YJs regarding the parking brake.
Check here http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...callsearch.cfm
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2003, 09:54 AM   #4
YankeeYJ92

I actually have the same problem.......i can put it in..and it'll jerk it self all the way down..........but all i do now is leave it in gear...and the puppy isn't going ne where
YankeeYJ92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2003, 09:56 AM   #5
quzur

put it in gear when you park it and it wont roll
quzur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2003, 02:12 PM   #6
withamc

Fix the brakes. It's not that hard.
Pull your drums and make sure you've still got good shoes left. Then tighten up the adjuster like Drew said. Then you might need to adjust the e-brake.
The YJ has self-adjusting brakes. Go to a parking lot and back up and stop hard. Drive forward and stop hard. Repeat until the brakes firm up.
Unread 11-27-2003, 06:20 PM   #7
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

There is a tension screw on the line, right in front of the driver side wheel on the inside of the frame rail where the EB cable splits to the rears. On that point is a long screw with a nut. Tighten the nut. According to Haynes I think you set the EB [edal to 5 clicks then tighten the nut until it holds. Pick up a haynes or chiltons and it will show you gow. I tried fixing mine because it rolls backwards but not forward, but my nut/bolt is seized, i have to pick up a new setup.

HTH
Craig

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2003, 11:27 PM   #8
YJXtreme

wow thanks guys all this help is totally apreciated. I'll go tinker with it tomorrow after I wash six inches of mud from my undercarriage.
YJXtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2003, 08:50 AM   #9
Six Shooter

You said it yourself about not having much experience with drum brakes. I fully agree with what Drew stated, however would like to add a bit of advice. I have not had to do this with the Jeep yet, but my pickup I have, and quite often (long story). I suggest jacking the rear up and put jack stands under the axle. I then undo the drive shaft from the rear differential. My reason to do so is the remove as much mechanical resistance as possible. Once at this point, turn the tire and get a feel for the amount of resistance if any the brake shoes are giving. Tighten the star wheel (under a rubber plug on back of brake drum) a click at a time until you feel a slight amount of resistance while the tire is still spinning some. Then do the other side until the same resistance is fealt. By doing it this way you can get the tension very close to even and there is no guess work in it. Even in neutral, you would still have resistance thru the tranny and transfer case and that is why I drop the drive line. It seems like a lot of extra effort, but in my opinion worth it. It only takes an extra few minutes to assure even breaking from the rear drums. Even though a break adjustment spoon is nice and works very well, in a pinch a screwdriver will do the job. Good Luck
Six Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.