Brands of suspension: is Rancho worth the price - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Brands of suspension: is Rancho worth the price

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 04-12-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
Wheelman286
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Brands of suspension: is Rancho worth the price

I'm sure there are threads about this but I don't want to hijack them. I'm thinking about replacing my suspension. Right now I've got an 18-YO Rancho 2.0" lift. I'm trying to decide what I want to buy when I have the money. I like Rancho because it's a smooth ride but it is still much stiffer than stock.

(their claim to fame is that their lifts maintain factory ride quality while also reducing body roll and increasing flexibility for offroading)

With that in mind I want to buy a Rancho 2.5" Lift possibly out of Quadratec or down the road at Tarheel 4 Wheel Drive where this lift came from. It will cost about 800 dollars once I buy shocks and a stabilizer if I need it. Is it worth the money though. What I don't want is to get one of these inexpensive lifts like rough country and find out that the ride makes my teeth fall out because it's not as high quality. I have a while to decide because It will be a while before I have the money to do it.

Unread 04-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

In a word, no. The two most highly regarded lifts for the YJ are going to be the Rubicon Express Extreme Duty (RE) and BDS. With BDS arguably be better because of the warranty. BDS rides great, flexes awesome, and doesn't sag. Its kinda pricey, but short of custom made springs, you would be hard pressed to find anything better. Since you already have a lift, you could probably get by with just ordering springs and bushings.

A lot of people will tell you to go with Rough Country because they are cheap. That's true, they are cheap however the people that claim how great they are usually have no basis for comparison. I have ridden equally modified jeeps with all kinds of different brand springs and you simply can't beat BDS.

Those that have ran BDS will swear by them. They simply are THAT good.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Wheelman286
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It is pricey... but it's really not any worse than Rancho. I just wish I could afford it now haha. I think I'll probably go with new shackles too mine are looking pretty weathered. Could I get a 33" on it if I put .5" shackles on it as well? I've seen 32s before but that's a rare size.
Unread 04-12-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've had my BDSs for a while now. but I thought they were very resonable in price when I got them. Are they more than RE EDs now?
Also, since you already have the Jeep set up for that size lift, sounds like all you'd need are springs and bushings. Have you priced it out that way? They should sell springs and bushings only.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'd also suggest the BDS, and just getting the springs and bushings, you can replace the shocks too if needed, but no real need for an entire kit.

If Rancho offered to give me a kit in exchange for my BDS springs, I wouldn't even begin to entertain the offer.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
azgurney
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My Rancho lift has been on the Jeep since 1995. It has sagged very little over the years and I have no complaints with it. I also have no experience with other lift. Do not get the Rancho 5000 shocks as they are way to stiff. If I were to replace mine I would get a OME. I have no experience with this but I hear they are the best riding lift available.
Unread 04-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
Wheelman286
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah... my springs are pretty done... and I have no pressure in my shocks (or at least the one I checked when my rear left shock mount broke on the rear end).

Check out that daylight seepage and straightness. My front springs are completely straight. and you can tell from old photos that the front of the Jeep has dropped over an inch.
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
Wheelman286
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Joy of joys.... I just found out that Tarheel Four Wheel Drive out on Nations Ford Rd. sells BDS. They are the ones who sold us the lift that is on it now 19 years ago. I can actually go look at one of the lift kits before I buy it!! So much better than buying it off the net with nothing but pictures to go by.
Unread 04-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
stickfight
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Can't go wrong with BDS.

I'd also suggest, since you originally were looking at 2.5", comparing it with Old Man Emu. They ride and flex very well.
stickfight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
Wheelman286
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah... I might. They sell Rancho, BDS, Teraflex and one or two more that they don't list on their website which could be OME. I think I saw yellow shocks when I was there last and the only 2 companies off the top of my head that use that color are Bosch and OME.

Bosch supplies the stock shocks for Chevy trucks and SUVs which is why I've never had to replace the shocks in my Blazer even after 163K.

Alternatively, I need new shackles anyway so I might just look at 2" lifts and buy new shackles that give me the extra .5".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.