Brakes - No pressure in pedal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Brakes - No pressure in pedal

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 10-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
jaycal3
Web Wheeler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Brakes - No pressure in pedal

I have a 93, 4.0L M/T and its a 3rd vehicle so it gets driven infrequently. It sat for about a week since I last drove it and when I got in it and started to pull out of the driveway the brake pedal went all the way to the floor with little to no pressure. The red "Brake" light also came on in the steering cluster. I turned the jeep off and pumped the brake and pressure seemed to come back to the pedal and when I restarted it, I lost pressure again. I am thinking its the master cylinder. I checked for fluid loss, and there are 2 sides in the master for fluid. Looking at it from the drivers side of the Jeep, the left side is empty or low and the right side is full. I see NO leakage anywhere under the Jeep. All 4 wheels/hubs are dry. I also see no leakage at the master or booster on the firewall. Thoughts? I will be doing a brake job hopefully this week and will be replacing the calipers, rotors and pads... the caliper on the front right is freezing and not releasing. Could this be my issue or part of it as well?

Do your part for Leukemia research - help find a cure.
http://mskcc.convio.net/goto/Jay_Calabrese
KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If it was empty its leaking somewhere and now there is air in the master too so the entire system needs to be bled at a minimum.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

fill up the master and have someone push the pedal... might have to pump the pedal to get some pressure in it... after you get pressure have them put steady pressure on it while you look under it for dripping brake fluid... once you find that look closer to where its coming from and then fix it. Once you have it fixed you will have bleed all 4 corners

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
jaycal3
Web Wheeler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok guys, thanks for the help. I will get some fluid along with the other parts... maybe hold off on the master. I guess I have a leak somewhere from what you are both saying.

KCCO
Unread 10-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
mnewxcv
2000 XJ Cherokee 

when that happened to me it was a wheel cylinder. cheap enough to replace both and call it a day. good time to replace the little things. preventative maintenance since youll be in there anyways.
mnewxcv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The front smaller one should be for the rear brakes. I bet your wheel cylinder is leaking. Not the end of the world. Plus you can get new shoes back there.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just had this problem and fixed it today. It was a small pin sized rust hole in my steel brake line. Look around and follow your lines and see if there are any wet spots along the line. If it is the line, replace it with copper.
ashland82391 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #8
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
Just had this problem and fixed it today. It was a small pin sized rust hole in my steel brake line. Look around and follow your lines and see if there are any wet spots along the line. If it is the line, replace it with copper.
What in the rusty 8.8 do you got going on up there?

Sent from my phone because I'm doing something "more important"

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 12:25 AM   #9
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489 View Post

What in the rusty 8.8 do you got going on up there?

Sent from my phone because I'm doing something "more important"
No it was the lines on the frame. And it's not rusty! Just a crappy cover lol

Unread 10-02-2013, 03:53 AM   #10
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
this wouldn't be the copper tubing you buy off the shelf for like plumbing etc... it would have to be rated for brake lines (nicopp) since plain copper is illegal in some US states.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 04:01 AM   #11
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post

this wouldn't be the copper tubing you buy off the shelf for like plumbing etc... it would have to be rated for brake lines (nicopp) since plain copper is illegal in some US states.
Thought that was just common sense???

You can just puck it up from any AutoZone.
Unread 10-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #12
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thought that was just common sense???

You can just puck it up from any AutoZone.
Never assume anyone has common sense when it comes to items like brakes.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #13
jaycal3
Web Wheeler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Found the culprit. Pinhole leak on the left frame rail. Master cylinder stays and brake line gets replaced. Can I get one pre bent?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum... So excuse the typos, my iPhone is challenged.

KCCO
Unread 10-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycal3 View Post
Found the culprit. Pinhole leak on the left frame rail. Master cylinder stays and brake line gets replaced. Can I get one pre bent?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum... So excuse the typos, my iPhone is challenged.
You can buy a few feet of brake line and a cheap bender for a few bucks at autozone. Bend it yourself. You will also need to rent a single/double flairing tool and the appropriate fitting. Pretty basic stuff, the guy at the counter should be able to help.

Are you just going to cut out the bad section and splice new line in? Or are you replacing all of it?
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #15
jaycal3
Web Wheeler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227
You can buy a few feet of brake line and a cheap bender for a few bucks at autozone. Bend it yourself. You will also need to rent a single/double flairing tool and the appropriate fitting. Pretty basic stuff, the guy at the counter should be able to help. Are you just going to cut out the bad section and splice new line in? Or are you replacing all of it?
Not really sure... Easier to cut a section, but better to replace the whole thing I assume?

KCCO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.