Brakes keep popping fuse!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Brakes keep popping fuse!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
SamzJeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Brakes keep popping fuse!!

Hey there...Well I installed LED tail lights/reverse lights (all in one type lights off of ebay) in the YJ this weekend. I know I wired her up correctly and replaced the flasher. The lights worked fine for a few days. The problem I just started having today is the brake lights we out. I checked the fuse and it was blown (15amp). I replaced the fuse and as I put the fuse in, it blew again. So, I unplugged my left tail light/s and put a new fuse in...as I did that, the fuse blew again. So, I unplugged all of my rear lights from the plug in things (pigtails?) so the rear lights are totally disengaged and I went to put in another fuse...well that blew as well...right when I put the fuse in. I checked for any bad wires where I installed the LED's, but they all look good. Any ideas what to check next? I'm looking at the FSM to see what wire/s I need to trace to see what's up, but I was hoping someone had an idea I can short cut retracing the wiring harness.

Unread 09-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
SamzJeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, slight update...I unplugged the wiring harness that is right next to the fuse block under the dash (the one that carries all of the wires to the rear of the vehicle) to see if it would blow another fuse even with that harness unplugged (trying to see if I have a bad wire within that harness). Well guess what? I put a new fuse in with that harness unplugged, and as I was doing that the fuse blew again! Could it be my fuse block? Am I able to swap out the fuse block for a new one? I guess it could be the wire (that will be fun trying to figure out what wire it is) that goes from the back side of the fuse block (to where ever it goes) for the stop lights. Could it be a "brake switch"? I'm at a loss. Are there any electrical gurus out there? This is my daily driver...any help would be appreciated...thanks...
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Might be the flasher relay. The flasher relay is always powered up, and if it is not the correct relay, it might be popping the fuse. My suggestion is to buy 2 new OEM-style units (one for turn signal, one for hazard) and utilize a pair of resistors you can find on any LED light website, rather than using an electronic flasher.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...r-kit/190/831/

You will need 2 of them, one per tail lamp.

A quick test you can do to check and see if it is infact the relay is just to simply unplug it and pop a new fuse in to see if that solved the problem. If it did, you know it might be something to do with the new relay, and you can fit the old relay in place to double check. If this test fails, then report back.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
SamzJeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Xpress thanks for the response. I did remove the flasher relay and tried a new fuse. When I did that, the fuse blew as I was putting it in. So I had the flasher out and the wiring harness (the one that leads to the rear of the Jeep) when I tried another fuse. Still blows the fuse. I'm trying to find what wire I can test from the fuse block or if there is a way to test the fuse block itself. I don't get it. All of my lights were working fine for about five days since I swapped in the LED's. I know for a fact that the wires I did were done correctly and the problem must be from the wiring harness end that I unplugged to the fuse block or somewhere behind the fuse block to wherever that wire/s go. I'm trying to track this down. It's dark out now, so I won't be able to look at it any further today. I'll get back on it when I get home from work tomorrow. In the mean time if you or anyone else can shoot me some ideas, I'd appreciate it. What a pain in the butt. I was going to replace my rear main seal, oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket this weekend, but now I have to do this first! What gives? haha
Unread 09-19-2013, 12:06 AM   #5
packdog
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Check the brake light switch

If would be a weird coincidence for it to go bad right after you changed your lights out, but you might want to check the switch that makes the brake lights come on. It is under the steering column and you can find it by moving the brake pedal and looking for a switch that gets operated by it. You can unplug its electrical connector and try to kill yet another fuse!

Do you have a wiring diagram for the brake and turn signal circuit? I rewired mine a little while ago and I remember it was a little bit tricky to follow.
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:39 AM   #6
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

just another possibility to check while you're checking stuff under there
any wetness on the fuse block and/or inside of the firewall? common leakage point for brake fluid to drip down when the clutch master springs a leak. When this happens, it's common for fuses to pop, though I'd be surprised that it's just one fuse that keeps blowing.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
SamzJeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Sean, thanks for the info. I'll check those things after work. Hopefully it's the brake switch. I do have a wiring diagram and it is a pain to follow!
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a link to the FSM for the 87-88 and the 90. The 90 is a lot better format and easier to follow.
87-88 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40590346/87-...M%20manual.pdf
90 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40590346/199...e%20Manual.pdf

There is a real cool trick that will save you fuses in trooubleshooting a short. Take a 12 volt bulb and socket and put it across the fuse terminals. It will act like a fuse but the bulb will just get brighter and dimmer depending on the current. When you disconnect the short the light will just go out. That way you can play around with wiring and see when you find the right circuit.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
SamzJeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thx for the info on the diagram and thx for that trick! Thats a great idea!!
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
SamzJeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Shoot, those links don't work. It says that the site could not be found.
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
Mistic
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Que89JY...How have you been? Two quick things.

Your links in the post above does not work, they bring you to drop box but error out.

The second thing, correct my if I'm, wrong but SamzJeep needs to be careful when using the light bulb trick acting as a fuse. Depending on the issue at hand, if he has too much current running thur that fuse point and he place the bulb in line instead of a fuse, yes it will do as you explained getting brighter and dimmer, but the electric is still traving thru the circuit, not tripping out like when the fuse pops. This in turn could burn up the wires or connection on the usually protected side of the fuse block. I realize that the bulb will be using up that electric as it burns brighter, but there is still the chance of his short/spike causing damage further down the wiring.

SamzJeep...The bulb trick works great as Que89YJ mentioned, I've used it before myself. Just be careful with it and do not leave it hooked up unless you are troubleshooting.

One other quick thing you can check is turn on all your parking lights and flashers and make sure you do not have any bulbs burned out or burning really bright in the Jeep (Even up front). If so pull that burned out bulb out and try another fuse. Its rare but I have seen bulbs break and the filiment bridge the hot leg to a ground and send power down the ground leg causing a fuse to pop. Its a long shot but it only take a couple minute to check.
Unread 09-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here are the links. I dont understand why but sometimes they truncate:
Here are the links to the service manual:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40590346/1990%20Jeep%20Factory%20Service%20Manual.pdf
87-88
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40590346/87-88%20YJ%20Jeep%20Wrangler%20FSM%20manual.pdf

The bulb trick should work as long as the bulb current rating is no bigger then the fuse rating you are putting it across. It is a pretty slick trick.
Unread 09-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
SamzJeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome. Thx for the info guys. I'll check it out and report back when i do. While doing that light bulb trick, should i put an inline fuse on the test wires to make it safer?
Unread 09-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

LOl no, there is no need for a fuse. It's an old trick. You will be fine. If the current gets too high the filament in the bulb will pop.
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
SamzJeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, thx.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.