Brakes Help Now Please!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Brakes Help Now Please!!!!

Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-16-2002, 04:10 PM   #1
Jeep Named Thor

Brakes Help Now Please!!!!

My pads wore out and ruined my rotor, I need someone to help me with the process of removing and adjusting the calaper. I need this ASAHFP. Please help me, I can't live being forced to ride in a volkwagon fox!! I need my Jeep back!

31" BF Goodrich All Terrains
Affectionately named THOR
Jeep Named Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2002, 05:29 PM   #2
Colby Bruce

I am not sure what you need to do, but to get the rotor off do the following:
1) Jack up Jeep, remove front wheel.
2) Unbolt the caliper from the back, wiggle it to loosen up the brakes (you may have to squeeze the calipers in with large channel lock pliers or pry the brake pads with a screwdriver.
3) Remove the cotter pin and star nut from the axle.
4) Remove the bolts that hold the dust shield to the back of the rotor and pull the rotor off.

I hope this is what you needed to know, and that I remembered it correctly.
Colby Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2002, 09:35 PM   #3
iamthemellowman

Hey, I see you're in a bind, just don't rush this bit.. make sure to bleed the brakes properly once you're done.. air bubbles will make your new brakes as effective as bars of soap.

And soak those bleeders in wd40 too!!!! if they break you need to get new calipers. (you could theoretically drill them out. but i think i bought two loaded calipers (with pads) for 80 bucks + a core charge. it might have been less.
Unread 02-17-2002, 10:42 AM   #4
Jeep Named Thor

thanks for all of your help. I got my Jeep back in one piece safe and sound. See you again, when I need to fix my rear brakes. HA!
31" BF Goodrich All Terrains
Affectionately named THOR
Jeep Named Thor is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.