Brakes get harder going around right hand bends - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Brakes get harder going around right hand bends

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 04-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
Reverb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Brakes get harder going around right hand bends

I notice this while braking and turning at the same time. I figured seeing as I haven't fitted the longer flex lines yet that the old rubber lines were maxing out and either squashing against something or bending over. NOPE!

There's plenty of play left in the lines so I'm at a loss (again) - why would my brakes get harder going around right hand bends at low speed?

Oh and they get immediately very soft afterward like there is no vacuum assist.

Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: my mistake - LEFT hand bends - not right

Last edited by Reverb; 04-19-2010 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: Dont know left from right it appears
Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
K4KAS
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I was thinking of stretching the rubber lines as well. If thats not the problem, I would like to know what you find out! If the suspension flex is not maxing the lines out, is turning+ flexing stretching them? When you turn the wheel is it pulling on them?
K4KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

A blown up hub (unit/wheel) bearing can cause very... interesting things to happen to the brakes... Jack up the front left tire, grab the bottom of the tire with one hand, the top with the other, and check for play from side to side (not left to right like turning the tire but foward to back as if pulling the tire off)... If there is any play what-so-ever when you do this, the unit bearing is blown up and needs to be replaced. Perform this test on both sides so that you can eliminate everything but the actual braking components themselves. As stated, I had a passanger wheel bearing go out that left me with no brakes when turning (pedal to the floor) then working just fine when going foward strait.
Good luck!
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
Reverb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

And the winner is..... Apollo12227!
Was driving along today when i heard a 'tick.tick.tick.tick' noise. Didn't think much of it. Then i hear a grind.grind.grind noise - I pull over onto the breakdown lane and check to see if I have any play in the wheels and I don't - think its probably a binding brake and that can last until i get to work. Pull out into the traffic and a cop gives me a ticket because "there was nothing wrong with my car and I pulled over"
2 miles later:

Hub+pads+labor=460
Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear you figured it out man... So you think the brakes were siezing your wheel enough to keep you from being able to wobble the wheel? Sucks you had to pay that much, a timkin hub at autozone is only like 140.00 lol... But it's a pain I the you know what job if they haven't been taken off in s while. Thanks for updating your thread for others out there with the same problem haha.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would fight the ticket too taking the repair bill with me to court.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.