brakes brakes and more brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > brakes brakes and more brakes

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-03-2002, 06:43 PM   #1
evilpsych

brakes brakes and more brakes

hey guys.. was out wheelin last night and my brakes pretyt much faded away.. the rig's got about 120k on it now and was wondering how hard it would be to just replace the whole caliper and rotor on the fronts. I've never bled brakes before so how much trouble am I going to get myself in?

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2002, 07:16 PM   #2
Bob K

Easy job. Buy a shop manual so that you will be familiar with the procedure and torque ratings. I bought rebuilt calipers about 4 years ago for 15 bucks each!! They still work great.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2002, 08:22 PM   #3
AllanAlxndr

I took my Jeep to JustBrakes yesterday to get my brakes done... I would have done them myself however, I bought the Jeep used by 2 other owners and wanted it all checked out... Glad I did, but 500 bucks later everything is all good.

Allan

*'90 Wrangler*
*4 Banger*
*6" of lift, (4" suspension, 2" body)*
*33" ATs on Outlaw II's*
*Pioneer DEH3500/CD deck*
*1800WATT Amp w/ Custom Box*
*2 - 8" Rockford Fosgate HEs*
*Cobra 18WXSTII w/ 4' Firestik Antenna*

Member of Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
AllanAlxndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2002, 08:36 PM   #4
evilpsych

500 bucks! screw that.. thik i'll do this.. spend $100 on new calipers, z-rated pads, and new rotors.. unbolt them, put them on, and then bleed the brakes with new fluid.. i figure the previous owners never did a damn thing about rebuilding the calipers or bleeding the old grimy fluid..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
Unread 03-04-2002, 03:28 PM   #5
AllanAlxndr

Quote:
Originally posted by evilpsych:
500 bucks! screw that.. thik i'll do this.. spend $100 on new calipers, z-rated pads, and new rotors.. unbolt them, put them on, and then bleed the brakes with new fluid.. i figure the previous owners never did a damn thing about rebuilding the calipers or bleeding the old grimy fluid..
Yeah, that is what I figured too...

Allan

*'90 Wrangler*
*4 Banger*
*33" ATs on Outlaw II's*

Unread 03-04-2002, 04:27 PM   #6
evilpsych

what. you screwed up your own brake job?

Unread 03-04-2002, 04:33 PM   #7
AllanAlxndr

Quote:
Originally posted by evilpsych:
what. you screwed up your own brake job?
No I took mine in to have it all check out because of the multiple owners and while they were at it I had them do the brakes at the same time.

Allan

*'90 Wrangler*
*4 Banger*
*33" ATs on Outlaw II's*

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.