BRAKES AGAIN, PLEASE HELP!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > BRAKES AGAIN, PLEASE HELP!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 02-16-2002, 08:55 PM   #1
Jeep Named Thor

BRAKES AGAIN, PLEASE HELP!!

How do I get the calalper piston to retact and get it to go back out? I can't even fit the new pads on let alone the new rotor!

31" BF Goodrich All Terrains
Affectionately named THOR
Jeep Named Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2002, 09:30 PM   #2
iamthemellowman

All you have to worry about is getting it to retract.. once you're done it'll take a few pumps or more to push the piston out.

To get it back in, the universal method is to get something like a large c-clamp so that you could apply compression on the piston... then you need to crack the bleeder valve...

If that doesn't work,
On my VW i had rear discs, those pistons needed to be screwed back in.. they had an allen/torx/elongated opening to allow fitment of a tool to turn the piston(look for that).. also need to crack bleeder on that as well. But i'm pretty sure the twist action was only necessary since it had an e-brake function inside.

Alright, just got a fresh look at the haynes manual.. on 90+ models it suggest putting the caliper on the disc (without pads) and using a screwdriver through the inspection hole to leverage the piston in... how retarded is that...

i guess on pre 90 a c-clamp can work, and they also show a picture of doing this while the caliper is on the disc.. i usually try to do this off the disc.. I'm unsure if the caliper is bolted down at any of these steps...

gah i need a real manual.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.