Brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Brakes

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 09-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
murilstone
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Brakes

So my brakes are not good.... i replaced almost the entire system accept the rear drums them self...did "rebuild them" and turned the drums and new shoes. i replaced the rear brake lines but did not for the front (didnt seem to need it).
replaced the calipers on both sides, the power booster, and the master cylinder.

so here is the issue...there is no brakes...nothing...no petal at all

i have returned the master cylinder 4 times...literally...no petal. i have been through 30$ in brake fluid bleeding the life out of this thing.

if i remove the vacuum the pedal does stiffen so im fairly sure the booster is good.

i am at a loss... brakes are supposed to be easy

any thoughts ?

murilstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
Raloma
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Dont buy a rebuilt master-cylinder, most of them are junk. Spend the extra money and buy new. You won't have any more problems.
Raloma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Did you bench bleed the master(s) first?

You have to do this else you will never get your brakes to work.
Unread 09-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
Nickabis
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Heres a silly question, did you start by bleeding the brake furthest away from the master cylinder? Just a thought
Nickabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 06:07 AM   #5
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Did you adjust the rear brakes (special tool or screw driver) until the shoes are tight against the drums, then a 1/4 turn back before bleeding? Without doing that, you'll never have brakes as the slaves will not push the shoe all the way to the drum.
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
murilstone
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did you bench bleed the master(s) first?
Not at first, after the second one (master cylinder) i started doing things "by the book" including starting from the furthest brake and moving to each closer one.

Quote:
Did you adjust the rear brakes
i personally had never done drum brakes before so when i did them i called my Uncle and he did adjust them. I assume he did that correctly...they were tight on the drum when i put them back together.

i suppose my next step is to return the rebuilt master cylinder to the store i got it from and head off to NAPA after work and get a brand spanking new one in stead of a rebuilt one....
Unread 09-06-2011, 07:41 AM   #7
davsyjdd
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I made the mistake of replacing the calipers on my sandrail once and I mixed the calipers up and put them on the wrong side. The bleeder has to be at the top of the caliper or you will never get the air out. If they are on the wrong side the bleeder will be at the bottom.
davsyjdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #8
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i have returned the master cylinder 4 times...literally
Clearly not the problem then.

Quote:
i suppose my next step is to return the rebuilt master cylinder to the store i got it from and head off to NAPA after work and get a brand spanking new one in stead of a rebuilt one....
My rebuild from NAPA was 100%, no problem at all.

Have you checked the combination proportioning valve for proper operation and no line blocks?

I left a link for the FSM, check the BRAKE_S2 section.
https://www.yousendit.com/download/M...ckk3bUJjR0E9PQ
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure that the front caliper bleed nipples are at the highest point. It is easy to get them on the wrong side.
Gravity bleed the brakes, some people have problems with the two man(or girl) system.
To gravity bleed all you do is, starting from the furthest brake crack the nipple and let it drip until there are no more bubbles(helps if you have a clear plastic hose pushed onto the nipple) then move onto the next. total time less than an hour and you will use less than a pint of fluid.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
murilstone
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Dwayne,

I think you might have the winner!!!
the bleeder valve is below the brake lines...that only makes sense
Unread 09-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #11
clush
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I was gonna say check the front calipers, I have heard more than one person do that.
clush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #12
Bad_Dog
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by murilstone View Post
Dwayne,

I think you might have the winner!!!
the bleeder valve is below the brake lines...that only makes sense
Been there, done that. I was replacing both of my front calipers and ended up installing them with the nipple down. Couldn't figure it out. Only after a post on here did someone remind me that air sorta goes UP and now down. When you're frustrated, sometimes the most-obvious thing doesn't stand out. It makes sense why bleeding them, pointing down, didn't help!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.