Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

brakes

754 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  lobukjeep 
#1 ·
hello there, Having an issue with my 87 yj,loss of brake pressure. Well i was driving and all of a sudden i lost break pressure and when i let off the gas it pulled to the right, not all the time about every blocks, and the right front wheel would make a grinding noise, so what i did first was check the pads, all good except the outside one, had uneven wear,1/4 inch to 3/16, so i then changed them, same issue, i then changed the caliper, bleed all lines, still makes noise still loss of pressure but dosent pull as bad, proceded to change master cylinder, great pressure with plugs in, hooked up bleed system, more pressure now, still pressure loss down to nothing every little while, stilll scratchy noise, changed all pads front and rear , bleed a few times good pressure but pressure loss when driving, have to pump to get pressure back, but can barely stop, checked vacuum line, good seal, im now lost and wondering what im supposed to do now

#2 ·
I'm not much of a mechanic. but pressure has to go somewhere.
are there any leaks? maby blocked up, outta gear and in place, use breaks untill u lose pressure and look for leaks.

are you missing any fluid?

#4 ·
Pull the rubber boots back on the rear wheel cylinders see if they are wet with fluid, what is happening is you have a leak all be it may now be minor it is allowing air to enter the system so no amount of bleeding is going to correct the problem. Other things to try check the adjustment on the rear shoes they need to drag the drum slightly. I suspect the left rear wheel cylinder. Be sure to check all lines and fittings closely. rubber brake lines will break down internally over time or if anything is contaminated with oil such as rear shoes this will cause a loss in brake pressure or locking up of the rear wheels. If the lines are contaminated with oil or other chemical they will become soft and expand under braking causing loss of brake pressure. just some food for thought.:)

#7 ·
Oh wow alomost forgot start by pulling rear drums you may just have worn shoes say if the right shoes are worn to the metal it will cause a pull to the right, scraping noise and will hyperextend the wheel cylinders causing loss of pressure. Brakes RULE #1 Always check entire system as a whole.

#9 ·
NOt to sound like a jerk but you replaced the rear shoes on the back of your jeep? and if so did you adjust them to drag the brake drum as well. I only ask because the front brakes have pads and the rear brakes have shoes.?

#10 ·
Have you checked the front unit bearings? Bad wheel bearings will cause problems like you are having.

Dwayne

#13 ·
This is definitely accurate information. My passenger hub/unit bearing went out and caused wired brake pedal issues, especially when turning. You check the hub by trying to "wiggle" the mounted tire. Grab the top of the tire with one hand and the bottom of the tire with the other (while tire is jacked up off ground) and see if there is forward/back play. If the top can be pushed in towards the vehicle or pulled away from the vehicle then your hub is bad. Any wobble in the tire is a sign of a bad bearing... You shouldn't be able to move the tire in any direction but turning it, any "side to side" wobble means the bearing is bad.

#14 ·
^ x3 .The hub bearing causes the rotor to lean in and compress the caliper in.When u hit the brake it actually takes a couple pumps because your trying to fill your caliper first.I've also ran into this problem several times.Your also saying you still hear the scratchy sound?Could be that bearing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.