Brake system replacement tips? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Brake system replacement tips?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 08-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Brake system replacement tips?

I'm about to do a complete brake system reinstall on my 95 YJ. After it sat in a barn for 5 years I finally got it running again and now I want to replace the brake system, mostly because it's in really bad shape and I don't want it to go out when I need it. So I am replacing:

1. The power booster. (The original was in bad shape)
2. Master Cylinder. (I broke this getting the power booster out)
3. all lines and hoses up to the brakes themselves. (I went with a standard steel coil for the lines, mostly because I'm already WAY over budget. ie keep the wife happy).

I'm not gonna worry about extended brake lines at this point because I'm happy with my 2.5" lift and if I need more I will just get extenders.

So the real question is, does anyone have any pointers or suggestions before I start the reinstall on this project. I have never actually done a brake system reinstall like this before.

scraper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

On the booster measure the length of the pin going into M/C off the old booster, then adjust the tip on the new booster to match. This will save you from having to remove and adjust the new booster.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno72 View Post
On the booster measure the length of the pin going into M/C off the old booster, then adjust the tip on the new booster to match. This will save you from having to remove and adjust the new booster.
I never would have thought of that. Thanks.
Unread 08-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

replace the calipers and wheel cylinders as well; it will only add about $40 to the job.

Personally I would not bother with a coil of brake line and having to cut and flare all the sections. You can do the entire job with pre flared tube sections. They come in many different lengths and make the entire process a lot easier. Flaring brake lines is not hard, but it is a skill that takes practice to do well.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just thought of a question.

The line going from the cylinder to the little distribution junction (I have no idea what this part is called, it sits under the cylinder and the brake lines run from it) are coiled. Is this necessary or can I just run straight lines? My thinking is that Chrysler did this so it would have some give, but it's probably not necessary.
Unread 08-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

That's the proportioning valve. To my knowledge the coils are just there for vibration/movement. I have seen numerous vehicles with straight line there or stainless braided.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
replace the calipers and wheel cylinders as well; it will only add about $40 to the job.
X2!!!

I've had my Jeep a long time, several years ago I started doing the following.
Whenever anything in the brake system needs replaced, I pull everything but the booster, proportioning valve, and the lines. The MC, Calipers, cylinders, pads, and shoes all come off. On my Jeep, all of these have a lifetime warranty so all it costs me in the end is new fluid. All this can be done easily in an afternoon and it'll stop like it did when it was new afterwards.
(I should probably feel bad for bringing back parts that aren't shot, but for what I had to pay for my first MC, I don't.)
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
metalhead
2000 WJ 

Just go to the dealership and get the proper lines for your model. They are not that expensive. They are all pre bent and flared. I am a mechanic and flaring brake lines takes some practice. I have not done it myself but guys I work with have and if its not done right it will leak. I got the line that runs from the proportioning valve to the rear for 34 bucks and the line that goes from the valve to the left front wheel for like 10 bucks from the dealer.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.